Colonoscopy fears/alternatives

seaturtle

Part 1: I need a colonoscopy.I have needed it for a long time-ten years,in fact,and have had it scheduled approx. 6 times,only to back out. I am not afraid of the procedure,I am afraid of the sedative..I have multiple drug allergies and I hate the idea of having something injected into me. I also have sleep apnea and am scared of not waking up. Reason tells me it is routine and no big deal,these procedures are done every day,but I still struggle with it,as I have major medical anxiety. I have seen three different doctors-Mills,Nagula,and Sewchand. The first two never agin,Sewchand was wonderful,but always they jump to colonoscopy as a first resort. I really would like to find someone who will at least examine me before going invasive-I hate to get graphic,but what is happening is very mild bleeding after most BM's. This was preceded by years of abdominal pain,and the bleeding has been recent-less than 6 months. It's mild,never more than a nickel sized area on the tp. Wouldn't an exam to rule out a fissure,or hemorroids make more sense?? But no one will do an exam - when I ask,they tell me why not just spare myself the discomfort and get a comprehensive view of what is happening. Can anyone suggest to me a doctor who will help me - I know I need the scope,but my fear is intense,and I need someone to work with me on this.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Part 1: I need a colonoscopy.I have needed it for a long time-ten years,in fact,and have had it scheduled approx. 6 times,only to back out. I am not afraid of the procedure,I am afraid of the sedative..I have multiple drug allergies and I hate the idea of having something injected into me. I also have sleep apnea and am scared of not waking up. Reason tells me it is routine and no big deal,these procedures are done every day,but I still struggle with it,as I have major medical anxiety. I have seen three different doctors-Mills,Nagula,and Sewchand. The first two never agin,Sewchand was wonderful,but always they jump to colonoscopy as a first resort. I really would like to find someone who will at least examine me before going invasive-I hate to get graphic,but what is happening is very mild bleeding after most BM's. This was preceded by years of abdominal pain,and the bleeding has been recent-less than 6 months. It's mild,never more than a nickel sized area on the tp. Wouldn't an exam to rule out a fissure,or hemorroids make more sense?? But no one will do an exam - when I ask,they tell me why not just spare myself the discomfort and get a comprehensive view of what is happening. Can anyone suggest to me a doctor who will help me - I know I need the scope,but my fear is intense,and I need someone to work with me on this.
I'm going to be mean, but that's ok

Suck it up. Do it. You could have a cancer, or could be nothing. But being a chicken wont help you out any.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
You never had a physical exam of the area? That is bizzare. Sometimes age plays into it..if you are 50 or over they would do a colonoscopy anyway ..but it seems to me with the scope of your issue, that a physical exam would be done, no question. I like Dr. U.K Shah..he is not what you would call "overly friendly" (so he might not be real good for someone with anxiety) but I know for a fact he would do an exam, at the very least.

Also, you can always ask docs to give you some anxiety medication for the day before the procedure, helps you get to sleep without freaking out.

seaturtle

I'm going to be mean, but that's ok

Suck it up. Do it. You could have a cancer, or could be nothing. But being a chicken wont help you out any.

Never saw that coming:killingme. I am not stupid..I know the risks,and I know it is not reasonable....you either do not understand severe anxiety or have never experienced it.

seaturtle

You never had a physical exam of the area? That is bizzare. Sometimes age plays into it..if you are 50 or over they would do a colonoscopy anyway ..but it seems to me with the scope of your issue, that a physical exam would be done, no question. I like Dr. U.K Shah..he is not what you would call "overly friendly" (so he might not be real good for someone with anxiety) but I know for a fact he would do an exam, at the very least.

Also, you can always ask docs to give you some anxiety medication for the day before the procedure, helps you get to sleep without freaking out.

I am only 33..this is why I think an exam should be first done,and then go further if no obvious cause is found. I almost feel like the procedure is the money maker and so they jump to that. When I was in Nagula's office,the receptionist saw me coming out with tears on my face and said not to worry that he had done three on her. She looked all of 22. It just seems ot be hasty to me to not even do an exam.

Vince

As I have no one to drive me, I have to do it without the sedative. Uncomfortable, yes, a little painful, yes, but not impossible to get through without a sedative.

seaturtle

As I have no one to drive me, I have to do it without the sedative. Uncomfortable, yes, a little painful, yes, but not impossible to get through without a sedative.

Get the sedative and let me come with you and watch...:buddies::killingme Help us both! All joking aside...who did you find willing to go without the sedation? I asked but was told no..I even asked for a flex sig instead and was told no.

kermitt

I have been..disenchanted

I had a bad experience with a colonoscopy and from then on out I have them mix the "forget cocktail" extra strong. They don't complain about doing it I guess they have my record flagged highlighting the "incident"

I am only 33..this is why I think an exam should be first done,and then go further if no obvious cause is found. I almost feel like the procedure is the money maker and so they jump to that. When I was in Nagula's office,the receptionist saw me coming out with tears on my face and said not to worry that he had done three on her. She looked all of 22. It just seems ot be hasty to me to not even do an exam.
I think you already know the reasonable answer...:poorbaby:

kermitt

you either do not understand severe anxiety or have never experienced it.

I have... your not alone..when they told me one time they couldn't administer a stronger sedative my pulse went through the roof on their machine. The nurse actually ran to get a Doctor. They eventually agreed to my demands:yahoo:

seaturtle

I had a bad experience with a colonoscopy and from then on out I have them mix the "forget cocktail" extra strong. They don't complain about doing it I guess they have my record flagged highlighting the "incident"

What was the bad experience :bitingnails: And who was it with?

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I like Dr. U.K Shah..he is not what you would call "overly friendly" (so he might not be real good for someone with anxiety) but I know for a fact he would do an exam, at the very least.

:yeahthat: I was strange coming out of sedation and he calmed me down. He does have a friendly side. :lol: I wouldn't go to anyone else.

kermitt

What was the bad experience :bitingnails: And who was it with?

I was in a fair amount of pain. The nurse did tell me on my next visit that the Doctor who completed my last one, I call him "Abdullah the Butcher" was going to be retiring and he wasn't known for being gentle. Had a different doctor and more drugs on the next one and other then not remembering about 6hrs of the day it was no problem.

seaturtle

I was in a fair amount of pain. The nurse did tell me on my next visit that the Doctor who completed my last one, I call him "Abdullah the Butcher" was going to be retiring and he wasn't known for being gentle. Had a different doctor and more drugs on the next one and other then not remembering about 6hrs of the day it was no problem.

I also have heard there are basically two ways to go,Versed and Propofol. I did a search before and came up with an old thread by Geek,and she said at one point she was upset because all she could do was cry but not talk during her procedure. Is there one that does this-acts as a paralytic? My understanding is that Propofol is the way to go because it is so easy to reverse-simply stop administering it. My concern is the respiratory depressant qualities of both with my sleep apnea.

kermitt

I also have heard there are basically two ways to go,Versed and Propofol. I did a search before and came up with an old thread by Geek,and she said at one point she was upset because all she could do was cry but not talk during her procedure. Is there one that does this-acts as a paralytic? My understanding is that Propofol is the way to go because it is so easy to reverse-simply stop administering it. My concern is the respiratory depressant qualities of both with my sleep apnea.

You want to talk with the Doc about your concerns. I know I was never asleep (unfortunatley) just kind of out of it. They need you to move around for them so they don't want you out.

seaturtle

You want to talk with the Doc about your concerns. I know I was never asleep (unfortunatley) just kind of out of it. They need you to move around for them so they don't want you out.

Therein lies the problem. I can't seem to find a doc who will talk. I have never had an exam,never even had to change into a gown,and when I ask these questions they tell me it is no big deal. I think they see this so much it becomes everyday and they forget that for someone who has never been through it,it's a frightening thing.

kermitt

Therein lies the problem. I can't seem to find a doc who will talk. I have never had an exam,never even had to change into a gown,and when I ask these questions they tell me it is no big deal. I think they see this so much it becomes everyday and they forget that for someone who has never been through it,it's a frightening thing.

Your right. The Doctors can be insensitive. Honestly I don't go to them unless I have no other alternatives. It does sound like you maybe getting close to that.

seaturtle

Your right. The Doctors can be insensitive. Honestly I don't go to them unless I have no other alternatives. It does sound like you maybe getting close to that.

I definitely need to find out the cause,or at least eliminate cancer..it would be irresponsible of me not to. I feel bad even letting it go this long - I think with me it is a control issue. I want to feel like I have some say and control over my own body. If I want to go through the pain and humiliation of a rectal exam,or a flex sig,that's my choice. I have good insurance. Who knew it would be this hard to get a finger up your a**?!:wench: Maybe I need to look at the craigslist personals and see if I can find me a med student with other interests....:killingme

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Never saw that coming:killingme. I am not stupid..I know the risks,and I know it is not reasonable....you either do not understand severe anxiety or have never experienced it.
Oh I understand both. But I also understand that sometimes in life, my life is worth looking into and getting a little restful sleep