colonoscopy

MMDad

Lem Putt
not to butt in....

but you really should, colon cancer if caught early is manageable, if it isn't it found till you have symptoms its many times too late.

but its your :whistle:

She's not old enough to need one if there aren't any symptoms or other risk factors.

usagent

I became fully concious in the middle of mine and freaked th "F" out. Thought I was being raped............... again. I dont know what they injected in me at that point but I've lost 3 days of my memory. Good news though they'll put me totally under next time.:yay:

OldHillcrestGuy

The worst part about the whole thing is you worrying about it. It's really no sweat! They knock you out and it seems like 2 seconds later they are waking you up.

I take that back, the prep is the worst part, then the worrying. Once that's out of the way your good! :yay:

:yay::yay:

Thats about it, knock you out and like you say 2 seconds later your waking up.

But OH is the prep the worst part, just camp out on the john with reading material.:lmao:

belvak

Happy Camper
Okay, Hubby's colonoscopy is quickly approaching (another week or so). In anticipation, my Dad (God love him for his sense of humor), sent this to Hubby. I'm sure it's going to make him feel 100% better!!! :roflmao:

Here you go. Please feel free to share!!!!

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis. Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking at the quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP MY ASS!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called "MoviPrep," which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; alI I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground. MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish thecommode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet. After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers just would not be enough!!!

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by Abba. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate. 'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade.

If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, Abba was shrieking 'Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine ..'.. and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

Okay, Hubby's colonoscopy is quickly approaching (another week or so). In anticipation, my Dad (God love him for his sense of humor), sent this to Hubby. I'm sure it's going to make him feel 100% better!!! :roflmao:

:lmao: Right on the money!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:yay: Just like everyone says - the worst part is the prep. I had the phosphosoda stuff, and it's very nasty, but I'm a weenie anyway. The first year I used ginger ale & even to this day I can't stand the thought of drinking it! The next year I used plain water & it wasn't much better. Blech!

The reason I've had 2 is because my dad had colon cancer at the age of 63, (and so did his grandfather) so I had my 1st colonoscopy 2 years ago. They found 4 polyps, which totally freaked me out, but the Doctor had me back in to have another one the next year. That one was 100% FINE. Nothing. I'm sure if my dad had gone in and had a colonoscopy 20 years ago when he was in the age bracket to have one (like my mom did) he'd have caught it early. As it is, when they found the cancer - it was massive. :(

I didn't remember anything at all after the anesthesia kicked in. They gave me a boatload of it, I think! In fact, I didn't even know what happened in recovery until the next year when someone mentioned what happens in the recovery room!! :yikes: My first recollection in the recovery room is them giving me Sprite to drink - and I told them to get it away from me, (it was sickeningly sweet) I wanted water! The 2nd time I was more aware in recovery, but very woozy. Like I had waaaay too many margaritas and not enough to eat! But this time they were ready with the water & not soda!

This time they told me I didn't have to come back for 3 years. If that one is clean - then I can go 5 years.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:killingme: OMG, that is so funny!

punjabigyrl

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis. Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking at the quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP MY ASS!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called "MoviPrep," which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; alI I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground. MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish thecommode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet. After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers just would not be enough!!!

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by Abba. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate. 'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade.

If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, Abba was shrieking 'Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine ..'.. and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

What doctor are you getting the procedure done from? Hubby used Dr. Bhinder in Calvert hospital.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
*lol*

:lmao: :killingme:

punjabigyrl

Anyone use a Dr. Lee? She is in the Prince Frederick - Calvert Memorial Hospital. I had heard she was good and had done thousands of these.

Hubby used Dr. Bhinder in Calvert Hospital. It refreshing to finally get a doctor that is knowledgeable, friendly, good bedside manner, overall preety damn good.