commissary closing

edinsomd

Furlough will obviously affect the folks who work at the commissary, too. You know, the ones who stock the shelves and bag the groceries? I've been going there since it was built, and the old one by Gate 2 even before, so these folks are not just faces in the store to me. Freakin' travesty.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Have you ever shopped there?

I don't care what some report you found on line says, I've been shopping at a military commissary all my life (Navy brat), there is no 30% savings.

I'm taking it that you never served and don't udnerstand that military report are always over inflated with outstanding statistics when the report is written by the very command the report is about. It's like writting your own evaluation, you never put the bad stuff in but you damn sure hype the good stuff to make it look like you can walk on water in the middle of a rain storm and not get wet.

What I don't understand is they are talking about closing them.. F that.. DON'T close them.. Put them up for bid!

I'm sure some HUGE grocery chain would LOVE to manage and sell their products in ALL of our worldwide stores.

Wal-Mart comes in (for example), charges a 5% tax that they get to pocket (that they aren't allowed to do in their own stores) to pay for "overhead", the prices will be significantly cheaper, as they are now in Wal-Mart and Shoppers and Food Lion.. And we'd get a better selection.

Government gets out of the grocery store business, AND makes money!

Don't even have to do an over-reaching world wide contract for ALL the stores, you can even do a local contract (where small and LARGE companies can compete) for one or two comissaries.. and do one huge contract for all the overseas stores.

Makes sense to me, so everyone else shoot holes in my theory and tell me where my ideas are flawed..

nutz

What I don't understand is they are talking about closing them.. F that.. DON'T close them.. Put them up for bid!

I'm sure some HUGE grocery chain would LOVE to manage and sell their products in ALL of our worldwide stores.

Wal-Mart comes in (for example), charges a 5% tax that they get to pocket (that they aren't allowed to do in their own stores) to pay for "overhead", the prices will be significantly cheaper, as they are now in Wal-Mart and Shoppers and Food Lion.. And we'd get a better selection.

Government gets out of the grocery store business, AND makes money!

Don't even have to do an over-reaching world wide contract for ALL the stores, you can even do a local contract (where small and LARGE companies can compete) for one or two comissaries.. and do one huge contract for all the overseas stores.

Makes sense to me, so everyone else shoot holes in my theory and tell me where my ideas are flawed..

Ahh, the good ole Clinton administration days revisited...The A76 program for Defense Outsourcing. That brainchild was supposed to allow contracted companies to come in and take over some of the easier jobs in the civilian sector of logistics, aircraft maintenance, etc. Failed miserably, contractors kept defaulting after winning and not producing.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Ahh, the good ole Clinton administration days revisited...The A76 program for Defense Outsourcing. That brainchild was supposed to allow contracted companies to come in and take over some of the easier jobs in the civilian sector of logistics, aircraft maintenance, etc. Failed miserably, contractors kept defaulting after winning and not producing.
Actually, that was an LBJ administration brainchild as OMB Circular A 76 was first issued in 1966. Granted it has been revised numerous times by various administration since to push their agendas, but Clinton in no way thought it up. :yay:

libby

Shop Wednesday through Sunday? :shrug:

Well, yes, obviously. And considering the burdens the Obama administration is placing on the good people being furloughed, while they make no personal sacrifices and continue to live high on the hog, I am certainly not actually complaining. This is no sacrifice compared to what others are going through.

Having the benefits of the commissary at all is something I am grateful for. Unlike other posters, I find the savings to be significant, and I can't imagine having to pay the prices Food Lion charges.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Well, yes, obviously. And considering the burdens the Obama administration is placing on the good people being furloughed, while they make no personal sacrifices and continue to live high on the hog, I am certainly not actually complaining. This is no sacrifice compared to what others are going through.

Having the benefits of the commissary at all is something I am grateful for. Unlike other posters, I find the savings to be significant, and I can't imagine having to pay the prices Food Lion charges.

One side-"Benefit" of closure of the commissary an extra weekday is that medical appointments on Monday and Tuesday will be available. But you'll have a hell of a time getting a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday appointment.

Last edited:

nutz

but Clinton in no way thought it up. :yay:

No, I wasn't trying to give him credit for anything. During the Clinton era, I spent a considerable amount of time drafting reports on the direct cost of civilian (DoD) and military personnel performing aircraft maintenance functions. While we thought our numbers were correct, the "ins" decided we were wrong and contractors could do it cheaper.

We used to think that no one could put more miles on an airplane than the Clinton's.:popcorn:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Yes I do use my commissary privileges.

I am clearly seeing that the navy's nco evaluation program is very bloated.

Obviously your priviledges are available by virtue of the fact that you are married to a service member. The Navy doesn't have NCO's. :whistle:

An Army sergeant, an Air Force staff sergeant, and a Marine corporal are considered NCO ranks. The Navy NCO equivalent, petty officer, is achieved at the rank of petty officer third class.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think you're comparing apples and oranges.. you're talking about tasks we would pay somebody to do while I'm talking about chains PAYING to use the base facilities to sell their products and services. We provide the building and the lights and plumbing, and they set up shop and service an entire community.

The commissary, especially in t be US, is duplicating efforts already done by dozens of local companies 100% paid by the government. Imagine, even if it wasn't 100% takeover, if we piggybacked off of Wal-Marts massive logistics train instead of running and managing our own. Kind of like the relationship the USPS has with Fed-Ex and UPS...

Last edited:
OMG another nitpicker. Yes, of course, bet semen is a rather vulgar term, isn't it? :coffee:

Obviously you meant to say Seaman...unless you're taking about sperm and such....

And it's not vulgar to an adult. Unless somehow shopping for chicken breasts gets you excited.

Having shopped at all of the local stores, including the warehouse store, I can say with certainty that the commissary does NOT save you 30%. More in the 10-15 % range. I DO NOT buy canned veggies there, because they are actually significantly more expensive than BJ's, so the baloney about selling at wholesale prices with no mark up is wrong! Folks like nhboy seem to think that it's all tax free, but I got news fer ya. ALL food items at ANY store in Maryland is tax free. If you shop at the commissary you get to ADD 5% to your bill. Here's a true "for instance": at BJ's you can buy 8 cans of green beans for $5.95, tax free for a cost of $.74 per can. At the commissary, that same 8 cans will cost you $10.16 (@ $1.27 per can which is the last price I remember seeing) PLUS the 5% upcharge making a total cost of $10.67. Yep nhboy, see how well that tax free thing works! You pay almost twice as much for the same item if you buy green beans at the commissary instead of BJ's. HOWEVER, I will say that the meat is significantly cheaper at the commissary. The only cut of steak I buy now is fillets. The commissary is around $12 per lb, and Giant is about $18 per lb.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Have you ever shopped there?

I don't care what some report you found on line says, I've been shopping at a military commissary all my life (Navy brat), there is no 30% savings.

aww come one man ...... Dorals were $ 2.00 a carton in the 80's with the $ 5 off coupon on the front

- my (ex)Wife got better deals @ King Sourpers with double coupons and other discounts

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I think you're comparing apples and oranges.. you're talking about tasks we would pay somebody to do while I'm talking about chains PAYING to use the base facilities to sell their products and services.

You could get rid of AFFES and the Commissary ....

MarieB

Having shopped at all of the local stores, including the warehouse store, I can say with certainty that the commissary does NOT save you 30%. More in the 10-15 % range. I DO NOT buy canned veggies there, because they are actually significantly more expensive than BJ's, so the baloney about selling at wholesale prices with no mark up is wrong! Folks like nhboy seem to think that it's all tax free, but I got news fer ya. ALL food items at ANY store in Maryland is tax free. If you shop at the commissary you get to ADD 5% to your bill. Here's a true "for instance": at BJ's you can buy 8 cans of green beans for $5.95, tax free for a cost of $.74 per can. At the commissary, that same 8 cans will cost you $10.16 (@ $1.27 per can which is the last price I remember seeing) PLUS the 5% upcharge making a total cost of $10.67. Yep nhboy, see how well that tax free thing works! You pay almost twice as much for the same item if you buy green beans at the commissary instead of BJ's. HOWEVER, I will say that the meat is significantly cheaper at the commissary. The only cut of steak I buy now is fillets. The commissary is around $12 per lb, and Giant is about $18 per lb.

Last time i was there with a relative, it seemed like a lot of the meat was select rather than choice