Computer Scan for "check engine" light

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
I know that in Chevy cars/trucks, you can read the diagnostic codes yourself. There's a box under the dashboard (the same one they plug the code reader into, I think). If the car is "on" and a wire is inserted into the A and B terminals, the engine light will flash a specific code. You can probably find the ones for your vehicle online, or buy a manual at Auto Zone or Advanced.
I dunno if this is true for other vehicles. :shrug:
Just saves trips if you keep having problems with the engine light coming on. I know Advance also sells code readers now, though I don't know how much they cost.

renegadeslave said:
I know that in Chevy cars/trucks, you can read the diagnostic codes yourself. There's a box under the dashboard (the same one they plug the code reader into, I think). If the car is "on" and a wire is inserted into the A and B terminals, the engine light will flash a specific code. You can probably find the ones for your vehicle online, or buy a manual at Auto Zone or Advanced.
I dunno if this is true for other vehicles. :shrug:
Just saves trips if you keep having problems with the engine light coming on. I know Advance also sells code readers now, though I don't know how much they cost.
Not with the OBDII system. That was the case on the OBDI system. OBDII has been in use since 1995/6. Her truck will have OBDII, and will have to be read by a scanner, and any employee at autozone can do it for her, there is NO skill involved.

willie

A cheap scanner costs $145. Some very basic ones are less. It's a handy tool to have but there are a lot of codes like the ABS that aren't available to the cheapo scanners.

Moonchild

Willie,

That price range is why I recommend the Autozone/Advance route. The scanners they use should get most all codes, but if not, most (I believe all, but I'm not %100 on that) ABS systems have their own light, so most likely we are not dealing with that here.

(All posts in this thread are Moonchilds husband, for reference:))

Please post a link to a $145.00 scanner that will read ABS codes. When my ABS light was on a couple weeks ago, only scanners I could find that would read them were $800 and up.

The Autozone scanners will not do ABS codes. The ones in the service bays will, but you PAY for that scan. The free scan is for drivetrain codes only.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
My stinking tail light light is on indicating I have a light out. I in fact did and changed the bulb but the stinking light on the dash is still on. :ohwell: All my lights in the rear are working but as soon as I put the damn car in gear, reverse or drive it comes on. :mad:

pixiegirl said:
My stinking tail light light is on indicating I have a light out. I in fact did and changed the bulb but the stinking light on the dash is still on. :ohwell: All my lights in the rear are working but as soon as I put the damn car in gear, reverse or drive it comes on. :mad:
Electrical short

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
huntr1 said:
Electrical short

Even though it doesn't come on at start-up? Only when I put it in gear. It's definately indicating a brake light because I've had a tail light out before and it only came on when I turned my lights on. Damn car crap. It gives me a headache.

pixiegirl said:
Even though it doesn't come on at start-up? Only when I put it in gear. It's definately indicating a brake light because I've had a tail light out before and it only came on when I turned my lights on. Damn car crap. It gives me a headache.
You say all your light bulbs are good. That makes me think you have a short somewhere telling the bulb on the dash to go on when you put it in gear.

willie

pixiegirl said:
Be sure to check the THIRD brake light.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
willie said:
Be sure to check the THIRD brake light.

The one in the window? I did, that's the one that was out. Figuring out how to get that sucker out was a PITA. Screwdrivers are your friend. And you guys thought I was just another pretty face. :lmao:

Moonchild

Huntr,

My apologies, I was under the impression that either the Autoxray or the Auterra were capable of pulling ABS codes. Maybe the potential liability is too scary for them? I'm spoiled by my Dodge so other than datalogging purposes, I haven't paid too close to what else they were capable of.

Moonchild said:
Huntr,

My apologies, I was under the impression that either the Autoxray or the Auterra were capable of pulling ABS codes. Maybe the potential liability is too scary for them? I'm spoiled by my Dodge so other than datalogging purposes, I haven't paid too close to what else they were capable of.
No problems here! I am hoping you are correct. I will do a search with the names you posted and see if either of them give me a hit on such a scanner. I have been planning to buy one, and if I can spend a few extra bucks and get one that gives me ABS too, I'm on it!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
huntr1 said:
No problems here! I am hoping you are correct. I will do a search with the names you posted and see if either of them give me a hit on such a scanner. I have been planning to buy one, and if I can spend a few extra bucks and get one that gives me ABS too, I'm on it!
I don't know about ABS but there is a company called Car Chip.. Does data logging and "check light" diagnostics.

willie

Actron has $35 scanners for ABS but it's only OBD I. OBD I codes are so basic it's rarely worth the effort. If your serious, Snap-on has a tool that covers both models but is $3400. If I really wanted a better one than I've got, ebay would be a good start. ABS has you over a barrell anyway. If you replace the ABS module on an OBD II GM then you need the real high priced scan tool to flash the module. The shade tree mechanics tool box is getting very expensive.