Concrete Slab

JabbaJawz

Be about it
We're looking to have a concrete slab poured for a shed at some point in the near future, but I've heard that some companies won't mess with small jobs like this. It would be approx. 10x16. Anyone know of any companies who do small jobs like this? I plan to give Chaney a call, but not even sure if they'll do it. tys_mommy or Mainman, do you know?

Elle

Happy Camper!
Yeah, they do small jobs. Not sure how much it will cost though. There are a few options that I'm not allowed to speak of though (competition). Hey BTW, that's the size shed we are building now. We got a decent qoute from Chaney but that was with a disocunt though.

dustin

UAIOE
have you thought of pouring it yourself? i dont know what the cost savings could be or if you would rather take the hit and let someone else pour it for you. when i was in high school i helped my dad pour a 15 x 10 slab. forgot what we did though. there has got to be something on this here intarnat telling ya how to do it.

Elle

Happy Camper!
We just priced it at lowes last month and even with the 10% military discount they were giving it would have cost more to mix ourselves than Chaney without a discount.

G

giggles04

Originally posted by tipsy mcgee
Look up TRC, Tom Raley Contracting. I believe they pour concrete and you could at least get another price.

Thats who I would say too! I would think that it would be cheaper than Chaney

willie

That's 2 yds. of concrete with a 4" slab. That is quite a bit to hand or machine mix. I believe minimum delivered load is 3 yds. but not sure. This might be a good time to plan a walkway, steps or something else to use the extra yard.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by willie
That's 2 yds. of concrete with a 4" slab. That is quite a bit to hand or machine mix. I believe minimum delivered load is 3 yds. but not sure. This might be a good time to plan a walkway, steps or something else to use the extra yard.

HHHmmmm, you might be right. I'm not sure what else I could put back there, though. :shrug:...actually, though, my daughter has one of those Amish-built swingsets with a big 'ol playhouse on it. Under the playhouse there's a square with wood on the sides that is for a sand box area - you can purchase the top to go on it seperately (we haven't set up the sand-box part yet). Maybe I could get them to pour some concrete in there so that the sand box would have a hard, non-dirt/grass bottom??

bottoms up

get a little more concrete and add a patio or a walkway if you don't have one already. :shrug:

i thought most places have a 5 yard minimum. :ohwell: call around and check on that.

you could also split the load with a neighbor. see if any of them also need some concrete for a slab, patio or whatever. :cool:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by bottoms up
get a little more concrete and add a patio or a walkway if you don't have one already. :shrug:

We're actually putting on a screened-in porch and deck in a couple of mos. (as soon as my family finishes what they're working on now). And there is already a concrete slab outside the back garage door. I'm at a loss, other than the sand box idea. :smile:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
you could also split the load with a neighbor. see if any of them also need some concrete for a slab, patio or whatever. :cool:

HHmmmm, now that might work! We have an e-mail listing for our neighborhood, and since it's pretty new I'll bet someone in there would be interested. Good idea!

bottoms up

when they say "a yard" they don't mean a 3 foot by 3 foot area. it is a cubic yard, i believe. meaning, a 3 foot, by 3 foot, by 3 foot high area. it'd have to be one hell of a deep sandbox that you want to fill, and I don't think there'd be much room left for sand, after that! :eek: :lol:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
when they say "a yard" they don't mean a 3 foot by 3 foot area. it is a cubic yard, i believe. meaning, a 3 foot, by 3 foot, by 3 foot high area. it'd have to be one hell of a deep sandbox that you want to fill, and I don't think there'd be much room left for sand, after that! :eek: :lol:

Oh for crap's sake! I'm screwed :lmao:!!!!!!!

Well - another question then. Do you all think it's necessary to have a slab under an Amish mini-barn?

J

justhangn

and I don't think there'd be much room left for sand, after that! :eek: :lol:
and the cats would have to look somewhere else to go to the bathroom too. :lmao:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by PFgal
Do you all think it's necessary to have a slab under an Amish mini-barn?
My mini-barn doesn't need one, but an Amish one might. :lol:

bottoms up

Amish mini-barn?

It would be approx. 10x16.

that doesn't sound "mini" to me. :eek: i'd go with the slab. if you ever get moles or something underneath it, you won't have to worry about them burrowing through to the underneath of your shed and dying and stinking up the place. :barf:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Do you all think it's necessary to have a slab under an Amish mini-barn?

It would be nice but as long as you put it off the ground (up on blocks or something) and use pressure treated wood a wood platform would work well too.

bottoms up

think resale :cool: what would you like to see if you were buying your house? you may not be planning to sell it in the near future since you just moved in, but down the road, you just never know. :really: is your driveway concrete also? if so, you could widen it a bit with the extra, or add a pull-out depending on your driveway.

check out these ideas I like the concrete countertops :cool: