Controversies?

Zguy28

It's great that you disagree, but it means a lot that you say "you can understand" the RCC position.

My point to Starman, etc. is if God can protect the integrity of His word for the first 100 years via Tradition, it stands to reason that He could do so for 2000 years, as the Catholic Church says.
I agree that the Early Church Fathers are a valuable source of info, without being inspired. Moreover, it is interesting to note what ECF's have to say about various doctrines that the RCC is accused of making up hundreds and thousands of years later, for example the Eucharist.
Even if a person ultimately does not agree with the doctrine, their writings prove that such teachings were around long before Fundamentalists think they were.
If you are ever looking for a great resource on the ECF's, I highly recommend A Dictionary of the Early Church Beliefs by David Bercot. It has been invaluable to me in learning what the early church believed on a variety of topics.

greeneyes36

I think my brother in law approached you...:) this is his conversation starter for witnessing to people, and WOW! the number of people he has helped lead to the Lord because of this very question... it sparks people to think that's for sure.

greeneyes36

True story:

Shortly before I became a born-again believer, some guy pulled into my driveway when I was outside and flat out said to me: "If you were die today, do you know where you would spend eternity?"

He was a Christian on fire for the Lord and that was his way of witnessing. While others may have viewed this as being provoked, it did get a rise out of me but it got me to really thinking harder to find the truth and I believe it was the Holy Spirit who made that man stop by.

My point is, we all have varying ways of ministering and although I see the sincerity of your post and concern, 2A, there are some times when our words and approach will provoke others and yet it could actually be the work of The Holy Spirit. There are varying ways that need to be taken to get people's attention. I say this in brotherly love and respect for your witnessing efforts on these threads.

So let me pass along the same question to all who read this post:

"If you were to die today, do you know where you would spend eternity?"

Posts: 165 I think my brother in law approached you...:) this is his conversation starter for witnessing to people, and WOW! the number of people he has helped lead to the Lord because of this very question... it sparks people to think that's for sure.

Starman3000m

Posts: 165 I think my brother in law approached you...:) this is his conversation starter for witnessing to people, and WOW! the number of people he has helped lead to the Lord because of this very question... it sparks people to think that's for sure.

Thanks greeneyes36! :)

If it wasn't your brother-in-law who approached me it must have been someone else who was led by God to confront me with that question. God has a way of letting people know what the alternative is to not choosing Him and He sends that message in various ways. Here is just one way:

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: (Deuteronomy 30:19)