Copperhead bites on the rise

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Yeah! We didn't even need a tee! Stupid things just raised their heads, and we yelled "Fore", just prior to whacking their heads off! :lol:

I just remember we'd go out when it got dark and see where they were nestled down under the sand and get them that way. I hope Stinkpen doesn't see this tread.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I just remember we'd go out when it got dark and see where they were nestled down under the sand and get them that way. I hope Stinkpen doesn't see this tread.

We golfed a lot at a place called Villa De Paz, in west Phoenix, located on Indian School Rd., around 107th Ave. My backyard was the 8th fairway, and we would chip onto the green, late in the afternoon, just practicing, after getting home from work, and the locals had given up for the day. Maybe, around 6:00pm, we'd see them out there, looking for dinner!

Hi guys!! "9-iron, caddie - if you please?" :lmao:

That was just the sidewinders that did that. Don't forget a couple of the guys would make hat bands and belts out of the tanned skins. It wasn't like we were just killing them for the fun of it, it was an actual hunt where all parts of the animal got used. The rattles were the funnest part. Attach them to a little stick and you could make a pretty good imitation rattler sound. :killingme

My son said he almost stepped on one while hiking with his dad last week. Boy would I be pissed if he got bit :burning:

Loss of habitat, more people, that time of year. Go hiking in the woods and you should wear boots and/or be very careful where you step. Never step over a log without checking the other side. Better to step on it and take a big step off after looking. Never step where you can't see the ground. They prefer open sunny places usually, but could be on the move.

rubyrox

We see them in our yard occasionally, and we usually get them with a shovel.

I know there are some people who are opposed to killing a venomous snake found on one's property but anything that poses a danger to my family or my pets is going to have to die. It's not that I don't value life, it's just not something I want to risk. :shrug:

B

Beth_kennedy

I recieved a wildlife call about a copperhead..Guy found it on his deck and scooped it up in a bucket..It was in the White Sands area.
Told him to take it to Cypress Swamp Nature Center for a positive ID and let them release it.

With all the rain we have had recently..might be causing them to seek higher, drier and warmer places....

Man, I was always told that snakes are more afraid of you then you are of them, I run at cypress on the boardwalk...guess I will wait for colder weather.

B

Beth_kennedy

They would be easy to spot on the boardwalk.

Hmmm maybe, but with the wood an leaves....or getting on and off the boardwalk....when I run I am in a my own little world, head phones blaring....

I was at Calvert State taking the trail to the beach, good speed for the uneven ground and I swear I must have side stepped 3 snakes on the way...

By side stepped I mean screaming like a little girl after jumping ten feet into the air....

ImnoMensa

Well all snakes frighten me. I hate them, and yes I know some of them eat mice , I dont care. If they show themselves in my yard they get the treatment with a hoe or nailed by a shotgun. I dont play around with snakes. None of them.

B

Beth_kennedy

Well all snakes frighten me. I hate them, and yes I know some of them eat mice , I dont care. If they show themselves in my yard they get the treatment with a hoe or nailed by a shotgun. I dont play around with snakes. None of them.

:lmao: I hate them too, I really really really do. Sadly I am not brave enough to give them the treatment. The only thing I can do is yelp and run as fast as I can.

I even get the shivers when I see a dead one on the side of the road.

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
Sorry if this has been posted. My mother-n-law saw this on the news last night. I definitely don't remember there ever being this many bites in such a short period. Keep your eyes peeled.

Copperhead Bites on the Rise in St. Mary's County - Health News Story - WRC | Washington

Copperhead Snake Bite Sends St. Mary's Teen To Hospital - Videos - WRC

To me it's kinda weird i seen this article. I live on a 400 acre farm and I hadn't seen a copperhead in roughly 10 years around here and this summer alone I have seen 3.

Curious as to what the increase in bites are all about.......Wonder if it's dumb luck or isn't something else like less habitat, weather or some other odd reason.

B

Beth_kennedy

To me it's kinda weird i seen this article. I live on a 400 acre farm and I hadn't seen a copperhead in roughly 10 years around here and this summer alone I have seen 3.

Curious as to what the increase in bites are all about.......Wonder if it's dumb luck or isn't something else like less habitat, weather or some other odd reason.

:yeahthat:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm

It's the far-left liberal species, that are attacking the conservative ones! :lol: