cost for butchering

Cowgirl

approximately how much does it cost to have a deer butchered/dressed? Thanks much.

Around here (Eastern Shore) we can get one done for about $60. It costs a little more for sausage or other special things. It's worth paying someone to do it because they wrap everything and we don't have to deal with it.

bulldog

3-4 Years ago I paid about $60.00 at the butcher on Indian Bridge Road. Since then, I do my own at home. I'm lucky enough to have the room/tools/equipment/time required to do it because I don't ever want to take them to a butcher again.

JoeMac

I use a fellow in Callaway. He only charges $40 and he guts it, skins it, chops it up, grinds it, adds fat if you want, bags it up and hauls away the leftovers. Can't beat that deal with a stick. He is pretty meticulous and keeps his place pretty neat. I'd like to think that carries over to my meat.

Cowgirl

I use a fellow in Callaway. He only charges $40 and he guts it, skins it, chops it up, grinds it, adds fat if you want, bags it up and hauls away the leftovers. Can't beat that deal with a stick. He is pretty meticulous and keeps his place pretty neat. I'd like to think that carries over to my meat.

Why wouldn't people field dress it? :shrug:

JoeMac

Why wouldn't people field dress it? :shrug:

Well generally you would, but if I don't have to and he does it for the price why would I?

Dressing it in the field does make it lighter to get out of the woods but it is so much nicer not having to get all bloody and get the cavity full of dirt. Many times it is also dark when you are trying to field dress them, so to me it's just easier to let my guy do it.

bulldog

If you trust him, that is a hell of a deal. The meticulous part is where most shops fail IMO, and when you don't get out all the fat and silver skin it makes for less than desirable meat. It's nothing to bone out a deer or cut up some steaks and roasts, but the care taken to ensure the meat is clean and well taken care of makes a big difference. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to the cleanliness of my butcher shop at home and doubt that I would trust another commercial shop again.

JoeMac

The guy I use is a good friend of mine so I am confident that it's done right. One good indicator is the turn around time he is usually done in a few hours. Not a lot of time for the meat to sit around. As for exactly what he is trimming off, I can't vouch for that. I doubt any commercial shop is spending any more time than they have to though.

Well generally you would, but if I don't have to and he does it for the price why would I?

Dressing it in the field does make it lighter to get out of the woods but it is so much nicer not having to get all bloody and get the cavity full of dirt. Many times it is also dark when you are trying to field dress them, so to me it's just easier to let my guy do it.

Sorry, I want the body to cool off as soon as possible, so out the guts come. I wear gloves and keep a package of baby wipes for cleanup in my field dress kit bag. Anything accidentaly left behind is easily removed at the butcher shop and any incidental dirt is easily washed away. If you "get the cavity full of dirt" then you are doing something wrong.

The guy I use is a good friend of mine so I am confident that it's done right. One good indicator is the turn around time he is usually done in a few hours. Not a lot of time for the meat to sit around. As for exactly what he is trimming off, I can't vouch for that. I doubt any commercial shop is spending any more time than they have to though.

I also prefer to have my deer hang for as long as possible (3-5 days, maybe even a week would be ideal) before being processed. I do notice a difference in texture and flavor when allowed to hang.

JoeMac

Sorry, I want the body to cool off as soon as possible, so out the guts come. I wear gloves and keep a package of baby wipes for cleanup in my field dress kit bag. Anything accidentaly left behind is easily removed at the butcher shop and any incidental dirt is easily washed away. If you "get the cavity full of dirt" then you are doing something wrong.

I also prefer to have my deer hang for as long as possible (3-5 days, maybe even a week would be ideal) before being processed. I do notice a difference in texture and flavor when allowed to hang.

I used to let my deer hang but I can't tell the difference and I doubt most people could. I also don't have a garage or a walk in box so it's not an option for me.

As for the heat, you have never had to let a deer sit overnight and get it in the morning? There isn't much difference between the two.

I used to let my deer hang but I can't tell the difference and I doubt most people could. I also don't have a garage or a walk in box so it's not an option for me.

As for the heat, you have never had to let a deer sit overnight and get it in the morning? There isn't much difference between the two.
The butchers I use allow my deer to hang.

No, I have never had to let a deer sit overnight and get it in the morning. With proper shot placement, there is no excuse for a deer going very far. Furthest I have ever had a deer run after shooting it was <100 yards. Most of my deer are down within 25-30 feet of where I shoot them.

I also stop hunting before it gets to the point where it would be "too dark" for me to track a deer.

I would rather pass up a deer than waste a deer by failing to recover it or take a less than optimal shot.