cost for butchering

JoeMac

The butchers I use allow my deer to hang.

No, I have never had to let a deer sit overnight and get it in the morning. With proper shot placement, there is no excuse for a deer going very far. Furthest I have ever had a deer run after shooting it was <100 yards. Most of my deer are down within 25-30 feet of where I shoot them.

I also stop hunting before it gets to the point where it would be "too dark" for me to track a deer.

I would rather pass up a deer than waste a deer by failing to recover it or take a less than optimal shot.

You must be the luckiest hunter ever then. I have shot deer with both a gun and bow and put good and poor shots on them with both. With some well placed shots they have run farther than when I thought the shot was poor. I don't know how you can say what a deer will and won't do after you shoot them. I also don't know how you can say every shot is perfect, especially with a bow, a twig, a slight jerk and you can be off by as much as 6". It doesn't take much. I feel like you either haven't shot many deer or have never failed to recover a deer. I would rather back out especially at night and definitely recover it the next day than bump it at night and never recover it.

I also don't use a flash light so I have to have light to walk out.

We have this thread way off topic, if you want to discuss further we should start a new thread.

Last edited:

bulldog

We're probably okay on this thread...not a lot of activity for someone to get pissed that we're off topic.

IMO, two types of hunters. Those who have lost a deer and those who will. Hunt long enough and I think it will happen eventually. Careful shot placement and shooting within your personal capabilities are important, but things can go wrong. If it never has/does happen to you, :high5: that's awesome, but chances are that it will.
This time of year, with temps above 50, recovery within a couple of hours is a must and cooling as soon thereafter is another must before the meat will begin to degrade...and potentially become dangerous.
I like to age mine for 3-5 days as well. The aging process allows the long-strand muscles to begin to "break down" a little, therefore making the meat more tender.

And to get really off topic....be safe. If you hunt from a tree, be sure to wear a safety system. :buddies:

RatchetJaw

That was your first mistake, That place is nasty!!!!

Don't go to Tom's Butcher Shop (Burnt Store Road ?) in Hughesville either. I went there once out of desperation and I can tell you some personal experience horror stories about that sham too. I have always used Chucks in Bryans Road, never had any problems with him at all. I hear really good things about Ricks, I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about either of those.

Tom's... that's a health hazard to me, and you probably won't get "your" deer back and they have no idea what packages of meat is whose and the meat I got was funky smelling (good deer is almost odorless) this smelled like it laid on the floor for a few days (sour smell). If you have a buck, you better tag your rack so you can find it in the pile. The man tells you, "I'm here, come pick up your deer" and he's nowhere to be found, his wife was totally clueless to what was going on and she is like an employee at the place or something.

I am not without the knowledge of processing my own meat hanging from the gamebrels, I've done hogs, herefords, and a few other things, but, as for the deer it's always been easier to take it somewhere and pay someone to do it for me, I already put my time and money into it with hunting and dressing, it's time for someone else to do something LOL.

Anyway, this year I now have a 4w X 8d X 10h walk in deer cooler that I have built in the past week and hooked up a 2 ton central unit to cool it down. I don't have to worry about those "desperate" times anymore. Now if I can just find me a new commercial meat grinder...

Last edited:

JoeMac

Ratchet, be careful with that window shaker. It was not meant to operate at such low indoor temps. When I tried this my unit started freezing up.

I never thought about the fact that you might not get your own deer back. That is one more reason I will keep going back to who I'm using. He only does one deer at a time and the chances he will have more than one are slim.

After thinking about hanging deer, I either soak or marinate the cut or both, it takes out some of the gamy flavor and makes it more tender. So I guess I do let my cuts age just before cooking and not before butchering. So we are on the same page.

Don't go to Tom's Butcher Shop (Burnt Store Road ?) in Hughesville either. I went there once out of desperation and I can tell you some personal experience horror stories about that sham too. I have always used Chucks in Bryans Road, never had any problems with him at all. I hear really good things about Ricks, I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about either of those.

Tom's... that's a health hazard to me, and you probably won't get "your" deer back and they have no idea what packages of meat is whose and the meat I got was funky smelling (good deer is almost odorless) this smelled like it laid on the floor for a few days (sour smell). If you have a buck, you better tag your rack so you can find it in the pile. The man tells you, "I'm here, come pick up your deer" and he's nowhere to be found, his wife was totally clueless to what was going on and she is like an employee at the place or something.

I am not without the knowledge of processing my own meat hanging from the gamebrels, I've done hogs, herefords, and a few other things, but, as for the deer it's always been easier to take it somewhere and pay someone to do it for me, I already put my time and money into it with hunting and dressing, it's time for someone else to do something LOL.

Anyway, this year I now have a 4w X 8d X 10h walk in deer cooler that I have built in the past week and hooked up a 2 ton central unit to cool it down. I don't have to worry about those "desperate" times anymore. Now if I can just find me a new commercial meat grinder...
Tom's been run out of the state. Broke LOTS of laws. Poaching, hunting other people's property (while running a "guide" service), over the limit, spotlighting, selling game.

He gave people the wrong meat a number of times. Buddy of mine took a big deer in there. 180-200 lb field dressed. Got 30 lbs. of de-boned meat and the wrong rack back. He had a picture on his cell of the deer. Went in the walk in box and found his rack. They had caped it out for a mount and put somebody else's tag on it. He got a saw and cut his rack off the skull. We have never gone back.

jenni4

Yay me!
I do all my own butchering... have a nice meat grinder and everything... for me its all a part of the whole hunting process... took a deer to a processor once and guy nickel and dimed to $200! charged for everyinging.... $65 straight up then $15 to skin, $ to hang, $ per pound for steaks cut, $ per pound for meat grind.... and more! I was really pissed when I got that bill...

and Wow.... you guys walk out before dark?! My uncle is like that and I hate hunting with him(actually don't anymore) I have shot alot of deer in those last few minutes of shootable light... However, notice I said shootable light, I don't stay out till end of legal shooting hours as I can no longer see my pins by that time...

and I am very good at tracking deer in all light conditions.... even when deer are shot early in evening, I remain in tree till dark to allow hunting partners to continue hunting and to allow the shot deer time...and even then we don't start tracking till all hunters in group are down, packed, and assembled... so actually the majority of my deer and friends deer tracked are done at night.... yes there are a couple that we lost and had to come back next day... but those deer are rarely found as they either survived the shot or were well and truly lost...

Terence

Error 404
Its free to do it yourself, just saying I mean if you have little experience try asking some friends or look up some videos or guides on the computer. I'm pretty sure you could figure something out. Thats if you want to save the money and do it yourself of course :).

Willing to share his address and phone?

I will try to remember and get his phone number tonight and post it.

Directions are Rt 5 north to Bryantown Road, make right
Follow to end and make left onto Dr. Samuel Mudd Road (Aquasco Road goes to the right)
Make left on Petzold Drive - dirt drive, go all the way to the end... about a mile.

There is a small sign on Dr. Samuel Mudd Road/Petzold Dr. that says Rick's Butcher Shop.

to: 38.591483,-76.830955 - Google Maps

Nucklesack

Well generally you would, but if I don't have to and he does it for the price why would I?

Dressing it in the field does make it lighter to get out of the woods but it is so much nicer not having to get all bloody and get the cavity full of dirt. Many times it is also dark when you are trying to field dress them, so to me it's just easier to let my guy do it.

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

What the Hell? Its understandable if your squeamish... but then you might want to pick a different hobby. Field dressing is dont for more than weight, which is negligible anyways. The biggest reason is to get the crap (literally) out and away from the meat. Keep it in the cavity and see how much fun it is when something bursts :killingme

Nucklesack

The guy I use is a good friend of mine so I am confident that it's done right. One good indicator is the turn around time he is usually done in a few hours. Not a lot of time for the meat to sit around. As for exactly what he is trimming off, I can't vouch for that. I doubt any commercial shop is spending any more time than they have to though.
Uh... no thanks i'd much rather the meat hangs and cures

Nucklesack

Sorry, I want the body to cool off as soon as possible, so out the guts come. I wear gloves and keep a package of baby wipes for cleanup in my field dress kit bag. Anything accidentaly left behind is easily removed at the butcher shop and any incidental dirt is easily washed away. If you "get the cavity full of dirt" then you are doing something wrong.

I also prefer to have my deer hang for as long as possible (3-5 days, maybe even a week would be ideal) before being processed. I do notice a difference in texture and flavor when allowed to hang.

damn you got there before m

Nucklesack

Tom's been run out of the state. Broke LOTS of laws. Poaching, hunting other people's property (while running a "guide" service), over the limit, spotlighting, selling game.

He gave people the wrong meat a number of times. Buddy of mine took a big deer in there. 180-200 lb field dressed. Got 30 lbs. of de-boned meat and the wrong rack back. He had a picture on his cell of the deer. Went in the walk in box and found his rack. They had caped it out for a mount and put somebody else's tag on it. He got a saw and cut his rack off the skull. We have never gone back.

Wasnt he the one caught in Nanjemoy spotlight poaching. Got fined and lost his shotgun.

Came back the next night, to the same exact spot, and was caught again. Fined lost shotgun and a car i think

Came back the following week, to the same spot (crap you not), caught again and was finally thrown in the poke.

RatchetJaw

Ratchet, be careful with that window shaker. It was not meant to operate at such low indoor temps. When I tried this my unit started freezing up.

I never thought about the fact that you might not get your own deer back. That is one more reason I will keep going back to who I'm using. He only does one deer at a time and the chances he will have more than one are slim.

After thinking about hanging deer, I either soak or marinate the cut or both, it takes out some of the gamy flavor and makes it more tender. So I guess I do let my cuts age just before cooking and not before butchering. So we are on the same page.

Let me add a few details left out in the original post. It is a central heat pump / AC unit and the deer cooler does have supply and return ducts and the thermostat is mounted inside of the deer cooler, so the temperature is controlled from the inside. As far as freezing up, it's not going to happen since the stat is mounted inside the box and the supply / return ducts solve the flow problem.

RatchetJaw

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

What the Hell? Its understandable if your squeamish... but then you might want to pick a different hobby. Field dressing is dont for more than weight, which is negligible anyways. The biggest reason is to get the crap (literally) out and away from the meat. Keep it in the cavity and see how much fun it is when something bursts :killingme

AMEN brother !

Wasnt he the one caught in Nanjemoy spotlight poaching. Got fined and lost his shotgun.

Came back the next night, to the same exact spot, and was caught again. Fined lost shotgun and a car i think

Came back the following week, to the same spot (crap you not), caught again and was finally thrown in the poke.
Don't know about that. Looked him up on Judiciary Search. 1.5 pages of cases. Didn't look at each of them. One of my favorites is where he was sued by Charles County Commissioners and his (ex)wife testified against him.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Don't know about that. Looked him up on Judiciary Search. 1.5 pages of cases. Didn't look at each of them. One of my favorites is where he was sued by Charles County Commissioners and his (ex)wife testified against him.

Wow that has to suck.. :killingme

cmhurley1

Stauffers Butcher

this is for anyone, not just you, I'm not sure if he's been mentioned yet but anyways. there's a Mennonite man (Stauffers) down rt. 5 near that Third Base gas station (right across the street basically) that does about the best job Ive ever seen (those Mennonites have got it right). his rates are the same as what Ive been reading here, 60 for standard cuts, add a bit for sausage (i do highly recommend the hot sausage) and other extras. I haven't found a hair yet (cant say the same for other shops)... i took a deer in last Thursday, he had 17 in the freezer already, i was told he would be cutting on Tuesday and that it would all be a days work (is it just me or is that ridiculously fast?!?). I'm picking up Wednesday, cant wait. anyways, if i had a reputation to put on the line, i would do so and definitely recommend this guy, even if its a slight drive

to be clear: across from the Third Base station there are multiple Mennonite farms, ones a feed mill, anothers the butcher shop, etc... to the best of my knowledge they are all brothers, the butcher should have a sign out at the end of his road, if not just stop by one and ask, they dont bite.

and by the way, he is closed on saturdays. (i know, a little inconvenient in some cases but whatever)