Bow wow
bresamil said:
What's love got to do with it?
That's not the four letter word starting with L that motivates FDDog. :lmao:

But I know you only want what's best for him. :huggy:
:high5: :flowers: :lmao:

Mikeinsmd

nomoney said:
doesn't your boat have running lights and stuff? isn't that like a law or something :confused:
Like Dems said, the red & green are required when under way but that's all. Most Ppl. leave their anchor light on too. These lights tend to blend in with lights on shore. This is virtually no light on a moonless night. It's surprising there aren't more accidents. I believe most Ppl. are cautious but it only takes one to ruin it all.

Dems, why isn't that spotlight ALWAYS on your boat?? :tap:

K_Jo, Thanks for the concern. :huggy: You cannot take away our toys!! :nono: :neener:

Time to head to gawd forsaken DMV then Rockville. See y'all later tonight. :howdy:

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
Like Dems said, the red & green are required when under way but that's all. Most Ppl. leave their anchor light on too. These lights tend to blend in with lights on shore. This is virtually no light on a moonless night. It's surprising there aren't more accidents. I believe most Ppl. are cautious but it only takes one to ruin it all.

Dems, why isn't that spotlight ALWAYS on your boat?? :tap:

K_Jo, Thanks for the concern. :huggy: You cannot take away our toys!! :nono: :neener:

Time to head to gawd forsaken DMV then Rockville. See y'all later tonight. :howdy:

Because it was on the charger getting charged .. :lol: It's kind of funny at night... it's all dark and then as soon as an engine starts up, you can see all these lights everywhere from fellow boaters, it looks almost like a blinking Christmas tree from everryone putting their lights on all at once so they can be seen, and then the boat goes through and the lights go back out. :lol: Personally, if nothing is coming, I do whateverone else does... no lights, I don't like all the bugs it attracts. :barf: I do however think if they are going to have wooden poles (like a stop sign) sticking up in the middle of the river for mile markers, there should be a light on it though. :shrug:

fddog

Bow wow
dems4me said:
Because it was on the charger getting charged .. :lol: It's kind of funny at night... it's all dark and then as soon as an engine starts up, you can see all these lights everywhere from fellow boaters, it looks almost like a blinking Christmas tree from everryone putting their lights on all at once so they can be seen, and then the boat goes through and the lights go back out. :lol: Personally, if nothing is coming, I do whateverone else does... no lights, I don't like all the bugs it attracts. :barf: I do however think if they are going to have wooden poles (like a stop sign) sticking up in the middle of the river for mile markers, there should be a light on it though. :shrug:
Almost all the ones in the river do have lights on them, Doesn't mean they work.

D

dems4me

fddog said:
Almost all the ones in the river do have lights on them, Doesn't mean they work.

I was out there at that exact same location niht before last late and I don't recall seeing it lit.... I don't recall seeing it at all until I was close to it. I was looking for it because its a navigatinoal marker for folks putting in at Benedict Marina/bar and grill - we went back and forth a couple of times on beer runs :shrug: and only saw it when I was close to it... it may have had a refector or something that caught my eye each time. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeinsmd

dems4me said:
This is why you do not belong on the water at night!! :burning:

Mikeinsmd

fddog said:
Correct, however, many of the markers on the rivers are known as "day markers" and do not have lights. This is why those who are not familiar with night time navigation should remain off the river or stay up close to shore out of the way of navigating boat traffic.

Another reason is quoted below..... :whistle:
Dems4me said:
I was looking for it because its a navigatinoal marker for folks putting in at Benedict Marina/bar and grill - we went back and forth a couple of times on beer runs and only saw it when I was close to it... it may have had a refector or something that caught my eye each time.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Mikeinsmd said:
Can you quote it Ken? The site wants you to register.

I'm registered! :diva:
BENEDICT -- Divers early today recovered the body of a 31-year-old Waldorf man who was catapulted into the water when his boat struck a commercial fishing net on the Patuxent River.

Gregory Allen Bucklew, the operator of a 20-foot motor boat, and five passengers are believed to have been watching a fireworks display near Solomons on Monday evening, said Cpl. Kent Turner, a spokesman with Maryland Natural Resources police.

After the display, the boat headed north toward a public ramp near Hallowing Point when it struck the net near the state Route 231 bridge.

Bucklew and two others were thrown into the water, Turner said. A passenger, 26-year-old Jesse Johnson of Temple Hills, jumped in and pulled two to safety. But Bucklew disappeared.

Police got the call about 10:43 p.m. Turner said rescue units from several agencies searched for the body before it was located about 1:20 a.m. by members of the Charles County diving team using a side-scan radar.

"They were worth their weight in gold this morning," Turner said.

The other two passengers thrown into the water -- Robert Daniel Burns, 26, of Waldorf and Jessica Faye Davis, 26, of Prince Frederick -- were flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Three others were taken by ambulance to Calvert Memorial Hospital. They were identified as Sheri Ann Burns, 24, of Waldorf, Ashley Christine Thorne, 21, of Mechanicsville, and Johnson.

The conditions of the injured were not immediately available.

Turner said the investigation into the accident was ongoing, but authorities were confident the commercial net was operated legally.

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
This is why you do not belong on the water at night!! :burning:

:burning: I'm mostly out in the day and am familiar with the mile markers.. :burning:

:lol:

By the way, most all the nets I see are close up on the banks.... Shouldn't the net, if its obstructive to a boat, be identified with a buoy or something :shrug: :confused: What about the prop? Wouldn't that have just sliced through the net? How does a log feel like a net? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

fddog

Bow wow
dems4me said:
:burning: I'm mostly out in the day and am familiar with the mile markers.. :burning:

:lol:

By the way, most all the nets I see are close up on the banks.... Shouldn't the net, if its obstructive to a boat, be identified with a buoy or something :shrug: :confused: What about the prop? Wouldn't that have just sliced through the net? How does a log feel like a net? :confused:
Those nets are out a good distance in the water, They are only marked with tall sticks, And they stand out of the water a good 4-5' in some spots :peace: