COUNTRY GIRL I’m a country girl – men all have the same excuses for not wanting to date me

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyway - my original point is that remakes are never better than the original. And often they’re much worse.

I'm going to blaspheme...you might want to sit down for this....

I think some talented director should remake The Godfather.

*ducks*

Hear me out:

The book is one of my favorites and the movie just doesn't do it justice. Coppola's female characters are terrible, but in the book they bring something to the table. The dialogue was stilted and lacking, and it just didn't have the heart it should have.

That said, it's still one of my favorite movies and I've seen like a zillion times. But it could be better.

I think the remake of Ocean's Eleven was better than the original. And I love the True Grit remake because it's exactly like the book. Also A Star is Born - Gaga really surprised me. And the one with Judy Garland is a remake. Also Cape Fear with DeNiro is better than the original.

SamSpade

Hear me out:

The book is one of my favorites and the movie just doesn't do it justice.
I generally give movies a pass on some things, because you can make a book a thousand pages long - but you can't make a movie six hours long.
Well, you can, but what they do is cut it up into several movies - and then you have the problem of COST. Can you afford to make an extremely long story into an extremely long movie and gamble that you won't be BROKE when it fails?

So what do you do? You cut corners. To do that, sometimes you change things. Even in Lord of the Rings, you totally cut out the Old Forest, and Tom Bombadil, the Huorns and the Cleansing of the Shire (and therefore, Saruman dies differently). You have to. It is a different media, and you are presenting it visually. You have a limited time, budget, pace and so on.

When someone says "the book is better" I sometimes snark "nah, the special effects were better in the movie". It's ok if they're different, they have to be.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When someone says "the book is better" I sometimes snark "nah, the special effects were better in the movie". It's ok if they're different, they have to be.

The book is always going to be better in terms of storytelling, but you're right about the visual effects - the movie beats the book hands down.

But I'm talking about doing the book justice. The second True Grit does the book justice. Gone Girl does the book justice. The Help. Silence of the Lambs. No Country for Old Men. Shawshank Redemption. And even LOTR.

I just feel like The Godfather could be a more thoughtful movie.

BernieP

Resident PIA

*ducks*

Hear me out:

The book is one of my favorites and the movie just doesn't do it justice. Coppola's female characters are terrible, but in the book they bring something to the table. The dialogue was stilted and lacking, and it just didn't have the heart it should have.

That said, it's still one of my favorite movies and I've seen like a zillion times. But it could be better.

I think the remake of Ocean's Eleven was better than the original. And I love the True Grit remake because it's exactly like the book. Also A Star is Born - Gaga really surprised me. And the one with Judy Garland is a remake. Also Cape Fear with DeNiro is better than the original.
Fun fact, watch the Showtime series, The Borgias. Mario Puzo does a intro into the history of the city states of Italy and the Borgias Pope.
He said he modeled the families of the Godfather on the city states of Italy with the "Godfather" being Pope Alexander VI, born Rodrigo de Borja, was head of the Catholic Church and ruler of the Papal States from 11 August 1492 until his death in 1503.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The book is always going to be better in terms of storytelling, but you're right about the visual effects - the movie beats the book hands down.

But I'm talking about doing the book justice. The second True Grit does the book justice. Gone Girl does the book justice. The Help. Silence of the Lambs. No Country for Old Men. Shawshank Redemption. And even LOTR.

I just feel like The Godfather could be a more thoughtful movie.
Best book to movie goes to Clinton Eastwood for bringing Flags of Our Fathers to the big screen.
Obviously they had to cut some of the details out, but they did stick to the story.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is it, though? Because there are a lot of messed up people in this country, especially in the metro areas where these Tik Tok people live. So let's say she's in Portland where the residents vote for Democrats who cheer on riots and arson and murder. Is she the crazy one, or is it them?
My vote is most of the people on Tik Tok (with a few exceptions that are pure skits) are just messed up people.
I will say some of the animal skits are cute, and the people who produce them have even shown how they film the skits.
They aren't doing any lifestyle commentary, just entertainment featuring pets.
Penny the Talking Cat, Clarence the Black Lab, Lana and Luna (dogs).
But they do their thing at home, not in the streets or anywhere in public,

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Fun fact, watch the Showtime series, The Borgias. Mario Puzo does a intro into the history of the city states of Italy and the Borgias Pope.
He said he modeled the families of the Godfather on the city states of Italy with the "Godfather" being Pope Alexander VI, born Rodrigo de Borja, was head of the Catholic Church and ruler of the Papal States from 11 August 1492 until his death in 1503.
This is also on Netflix, but is due to expire 31 January.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga

*ducks*

Hear me out:

I'm a moviegoer, but don't watch many over again, but I'll go see remakes, if they interest me.

I agree about a Godfather remake! :yay: I think it would be quite something, not just in developing the female characters, but especially with today's special effects in movies.

A Star is Born - didn't like Streisand's when I re-watched it. Loved Gaga's.*

(*Though I'm a fan of some of her music, I don't like it all and don't follow her regularly on social media. I do love the music she's done with Tony Bennett, too. I think she was made to sing that music. )