Country Music

BOP

I've dug Sara Evans ever since I heard "Suds in the Bucket" the first time. This is "Stand by Your Man," one of Tammy Wynette's signature songs. Sara absolutely nails it. I got chills, both times.

BOP

Tennessee Ernie Ford and Johnny Cash, both of them fairly young. "Pickin' Time."

BOP

This is Rose Maddox with the classic "Move it on Over." The band is more than likely her brothers, cleverly billed as The Maddox Brothers and Rose. The story is that there was a venue that liked the brothers, but would only hire them if their sister Rose would sing with them, over the objection of their mother and manager. Many of the women of country music, like Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, and others, cite Rose Maddox as one of their early and under-credited influences.

She also had quite an independent career, both as a soloist and a duet partner, often with Buck Owens, her brother Cal, and her sister-in-law.

Early recordings with her brothers were characterized by what some people termed "Maddox talk," which was basically siblings bantering back and forth with silly comments, whistling, and so on.

The story of the Maddox family is one of those Grapes of Wrath success stories of the depression.

BOP

This is one example of the so-called "Maddox talk" I referred to in the previous post. This doesn't seem to be all that bad, but I understand it got toned down when they signed with Columbia.

The song is called "The Death of Rock and Roll," even though the lyrics don't match with the title. There are various tales of how the title came to be, including the one about how they were singing a song they weren't comfortable with, and felt like if the song were at all successful, it would be the death of the new genre called "Rock and Roll." It's a good a story as any.

BOP

This is one of my favorite Emmylou Harris albums, called "Roses in the Snow." I searched on youtube, and the remastered album came up. I elected to play it, and I'm hoping the link takes you to the whole thing.

I'd have to listen to the un-remastered album to see what the differences are. The title track seems faster than I remember, but that may be just too much time between the last time I heard it and now.