Couple charged for children's repeated tardine

Is it right to charge parents for truancy.

• Yes

Votes: 33 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And what about the kids growing up thinking they are better or that normal rules don't apply to them because that's how the parents have raised them?

And they'll probably grow up to be the next generations doctors and lawyers while the rule followers will be line workers at the GM plant..

Which would you choose for YOUR child?

drivingdaisy

And they'll probably grow up to be the next generations doctors and lawyers while the rule followers will be line workers at the GM plant..

Yeah I hear medical school and law school classes are real forgiving about people who are chronically late to class.

drivingdaisy

If a child is in elementary/middle school it is definitely the parents fault and I'm glad to see that there are some actual consequences for this problem.

I don't know how I feel about where the blame lies with high school students... it is hard to force teenagers to do anything. (I know you can give them other consequences and punishments, but that doesn't seem to work on all of them. They are big enough to physically get up and walk away or do whatever they want.) I guess parents could drive their teenagers to school each day IF they could get them up. Their should be some consequences for both.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Read the articles! :boxing:

I did, and I still stand by my initial assessment. :razz:

It is ridiculous to bog down our court system with stupid stuff like this when the school should just grow a set and put the hammer down themselves. :shrug: How hard is it to make it more miserable than it is worth to bring your kid in late?

awpitt

Main Streeter

It is ridiculous to bog down our court system with stupid stuff like this when the school should just grow a set and put the hammer down themselves. :shrug: How hard is it to make it more miserable than it is worth to bring your kid in late?

What would you have the school do?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Perhaps the school did try other alternatives and this is their last resort. :shrug:

Christy

b*tch rocket
What would you have the school do?

Have the kid sit in the office until the next bathroom break before going to class, no allowances for making up what he/she missed. If the kid can't pass the areas that were missed don't promote the kid to the next grade. :shrug:

I just think with as many problems the courts have to deal with on a daily basis, something like this is absurd.

If I were Queen of the World there would be no public school system, it would all be private and each school would have the right to boot out those not living up to the school standards.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Have the kid sit in the office until the next bathroom break before going to class, no allowances for making up what he/she missed. If the kid can't pass the areas that were missed don't promote the kid to the next grade. :shrug:

I like your train of thought and it's not a solution I would have thrown around in my head. However, I feel that this is punishing the child (who is a minor and may not have the means to get ready themselves, and transport themselves) vs the parent who should be responsible for their children. Now, if there is a student in HS that drives daily to and from school on their own, I can see then where you would put the blame on the child. But in this instance, I don't think it's fair.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I like your train of thought and it's not a solution I would have thrown around in my head. However, I feel that this is punishing the child (who is a minor and may not have the means to get ready themselves, and transport themselves) vs the parent who should be responsible for their children. Now, if there is a student in HS that drives daily to and from school on their own, I can see then where you would put the blame on the child. But in this instance, I don't think it's fair.

A story indicated that they were in elementary school. If that is the case for all 3 kids, they can be between the ages of 4/5 through 10/11. The older ones should be able to get themselves together moreso than a pre-ker. Also, who's to say that the kids are ready to go and it is the parents that just don't get them in the car and delivered on time, due to their laziness. Thus, blaming the children.

Just another thought.

bohman

:confused: Are you having fun trolling today, bob? It is absolutely possible to be a success in life AND show up for school/work on time. I get your point - and have every intention of teaching my kids when to sidestep/break a rule - but getting to class on time is still a worthy goal. Everybody is late now & then, #### happens, but hundreds of times a year isn't gonna cut it.

Perhaps the school did try other alternatives and this is their last resort. :shrug:

This would be my assumption.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
:confused: Are you having fun trolling today, bob? It is absolutely possible to be a success in life AND show up for school/work on time. I get your point - and have every intention of teaching my kids when to sidestep/break a rule - but getting to class on time is still a worthy goal. Everybody is late now & then, #### happens, but hundreds of times a year isn't gonna cut it.

This would be my assumption.

Too busy to troll..

Have to post and run, and come back later see if anyone took the bait..

More like crabbin than trollin..

terbear1225

I just think with as many problems the courts have to deal with on a daily basis, something like this is absurd.

If I were Queen of the World there would be no public school system, it would all be private and each school would have the right to boot out those not living up to the school standards.

This would be considered an academic punishment for a behavioral issue, which is generally not allowed. even if a student is suspended, you must give them the opportunity to make up the work that they missed. In some cases, teachers are even expected to put together the work and send it home so the student can complete it while suspended (not that they ever do)

sm8

See it is hard for me to pick a side on this one, I was on the crappy end of "being late to school" for about a month last year. Our bus never comes on time when it is supposed to. It is supposed to get to my house at 8:35 am. It will get here between 8:10 and 8:40. to me that is a long time for my kids to stand out in the cold and wait. The first month she did this we missed alot. By the time I got dressed and woke and dressed the babies we were just making it to school. Sattelite office closes at 8:10 and class starts at 8:15. We would get there at 8:08, 8:09 or 8:10 and the sattelite office was closed. If you walk your kid in even if sattelite is still open you have to sign them in late no matter what time it is. There was always a line of parents complaining so I would just sign mine in and leave quietly. I got in "trouble" from the school for it and they tried talking to me like a two year old wanting to know what they needed to do to make me get there on time. I told them it was simple, make the bus come when it is supposed to. Even though the bus does not come when it is supposed to the driver has it narrowed doen to a 5-10 minute window. which isnt too bad.

awpitt

Main Streeter
See it is hard for me to pick a side on this one, I was on the crappy end of "being late to school" for about a month last year. Our bus never comes on time when it is supposed to. It is supposed to get to my house at 8:35 am. It will get here between 8:10 and 8:40. to me that is a long time for my kids to stand out in the cold and wait. The first month she did this we missed alot. By the time I got dressed and woke and dressed the babies we were just making it to school. Sattelite office closes at 8:10 and class starts at 8:15. We would get there at 8:08, 8:09 or 8:10 and the sattelite office was closed. If you walk your kid in even if sattelite is still open you have to sign them in late no matter what time it is. There was always a line of parents complaining so I would just sign mine in and leave quietly. I got in "trouble" from the school for it and they tried talking to me like a two year old wanting to know what they needed to do to make me get there on time. I told them it was simple, make the bus come when it is supposed to. Even though the bus does not come when it is supposed to the driver has it narrowed doen to a 5-10 minute window. which isnt too bad.

In your case, you're putting forth effort to make sure your kids get to school on time. The folks in the article don't seem to care.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Your solution is more suited for high school aged kids. The article is talking about elementary school aged kids. It's not right to punish a kid at that age because their parents are messed up.

What the heck are you going to do when your kid hits middle school and the bus schedule is closer to 6-6:30 for pickup? You'll have to adjust YOUR schedule in order, right? Get up earlier and you'll have time to dress yourself and the babies in order to meet the schedule. Glad I could help. :huggy:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
What the heck are you going to do when your kid hits middle school and the bus schedule is closer to 6-6:30 for pickup? You'll have to adjust YOUR schedule in order, right? Get up earlier and you'll have time to dress yourself and the babies in order to meet the schedule. Glad I could help. :huggy:

Some people's parents... :roflmao:

dontknowwhy

Just what I'd want...a doctor late to my critical surgery or a lawyer late to a hearing...especially a divorce hearing...that would excite me to no end...

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'll have you know that I took my son to the bus stop this morning in my pj's. I'm still in my pj's. And when I pick him up from the bus stop this afternoon, I'll likely still be in my pj's. :diva:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'll have you know that I took my son to the bus stop this morning in my pj's. I'm still in my pj's. And when I pick him up from the bus stop this afternoon, I'll likely still be in my pj's. :diva:

I have driven mine to school while wearing my pj's. :lol: