crabbing

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Ken King
You're an experienced boater in these parts, huh? Off the Potomac - Leonardtown. Just a short distance from St. Clements Island (aka Blackistone Island).

I usually just hang out in the Mattawoman or smallwood park area or Magruder's ferry, I like fishing more than boating :shrug: I find a place and stay put. :biggrin: Don't know where Leonardtown or St. Clements Island is... too far south from where I'm at. I don't go down that way much by boat or car :shrug: I'll look it up and check out the channels, etc... - I have a lot of navigational maps I can check. Thanks KK

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by dems4me
I usually just hang out in the Mattawoman or smallwood park area or Magruder's ferry, I like fishing more than boating :shrug: I find a place and stay put. :biggrin: Don't know where Leonardtown or St. Clements Island is... too far south from where I'm at. I don't go down that way much by boat or car :shrug: I'll look it up and check out the channels, etc... - I have a lot of navigational maps I can check. Thanks KK
You'll find that if you go away from where your boating you'll have much better luck! Boating is much nicer over by St. Clement's Island:bubble: You can hop over to Shark Tooth Island on the VA side and find some great stuff:cheers:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by CMC122
You'll find that if you go away from where your boating you'll have much better luck! Boating is much nicer over by St. Clement's Island:bubble: You can hop over to Shark Tooth Island on the VA side and find some great stuff:cheers:

Thanks... unfortunately the crabbing boat is flat bottom so I try not to take it where the water is choppy or the waves are over a foot or so :shrug: I would take the power boat but its too fast and doesn't have a trolling motor and I'd need about 3 drift anchors set up to go the right speed. :shrug: I'll figure something out...

also, does anyone have any luck with those big black crab traps that they are supposed to climb into? I've used it about 20 times and have only caught 2 crabs which I released -- do you need to cut some of the wires or something???:confused:

SamSpade

Ok, does anyone know of a place that takes walk-ons to go out for a day of crabbing? I don't have a boat or the equipment or anything, but I'd just like to go crabbing on a boat for a day. Do they do things like that?

Originally posted by SamSpade
Ok, does anyone know of a place that takes walk-ons to go out for a day of crabbing? I don't have a boat or the equipment or anything, but I'd just like to go crabbing on a boat for a day. Do they do things like that?
I am entertaining the thought of going out for crabs over the weekend. If I do, you are welcome to join me. I'd be going out of Howling Point. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and I will let you know once I firm up my plans.

Last edited: