Crazy prices for rent

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I live in Hickory Hills right now but in the process of moving to Leonardtown.

I just don't get why the prices are so high for everything here. It isn't like there is stadium 1 mile away or a mall within 5 miles. I was paying $950 for a 2 bd/2 bath apartment which was one mile from Qualcom stadium and had gated parking.

There just is no reason for the cost of living to be so damn high when there is nothing here unless you like to go out on a boat or drive a couple hours to have something to do.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by jwwb2000

There just is no reason for the cost of living to be so damn high when there is nothing here unless you like to go out on a boat or drive a couple hours to have something to do.
I like it like that:shrug:

terp03

Originally posted by jwwb2000
I live in Hickory Hills right now but in the process of moving to Leonardtown.

I just don't get why the prices are so high for everything here. It isn't like there is stadium 1 mile away or a mall within 5 miles. I was paying $950 for a 2 bd/2 bath apartment which was one mile from Qualcom stadium and had gated parking.

The rent has gone up because a large number of jobs were moved onto the base. As you can see, there is a ton of construction going on (commercial and residential), but it will take a while for it to catch up. If you work at Pax, and you want a reasonable commute, you have to live close by. Its not like working in DC, where you have a lot of options for places to live.

I agree with your sentiments about what there is to do vs what you pay for rent. However, rent and cost of living is still much cheaper out here than near DC.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Originally posted by huntr1
Why pay 1200 a month to rent, when you can BUY for less than or equal to that? Rent is money thrown away, house payments are money invested. Plus, you get another tax writeoff.

See that would be all fine and dandy, (not being a smartarse...just conversing) if people had either A) land, B)credit or C) the extra money that is involved.

I mean, that is what we are strangled with right now. That both of us have no credit, (which we are working on) and all the houses out there are not worth a damn for the going prices. Just putting my crappy 2 cents in.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Originally posted by watercolor
See that would be all fine and dandy, (not being a smartarse...just conversing) if people had either A) land, B)credit or C) the extra money that is involved.

I mean, that is what we are strangled with right now. That both of us have no credit, (which we are working on) and all the houses out there are not worth a damn for the going prices. Just putting my crappy 2 cents in.
sux2bu

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Yeah, I will agree. But the hard part is, how are we suppose to get credit, when no one will give it up?
I don't understand the not having credit.
You both have good jobs, buy a small fixer upper.

terp03

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Yeah, I will agree. But the hard part is, how are we suppose to get credit, when no one will give it up?

Do you know why you have such bad credit? You might want to run a 3 agency credit check and make sure all of the information is accurate (www.equifax.com is one place you can do this). Sites such as www.fool.com will give you tips on improving your credit.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Originally posted by DoWhat
I don't understand the not having credit.
You both have good jobs, buy a small fixer upper.

We still need the money to buy that small fixer upper. We cant just obviously go wah-la and pull it outta our ass. I mean really, we need the credit to get that small loan for the fixer upper.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Originally posted by terp03
Do you know why you have such bad credit? You might want to run a 3 agency credit check and make sure all of the information is accurate (www.equifax.com is one place you can do this). Sites such as www.fool.com will give you tips on improving your credit.

Its not bad credit.. its NO CREDIT. We have none. Not bad- nothing tarnished, we just have NONE. we have gotten the equifax and such.. but, because we have never lived in an apartment complex.. or something of that nature- and its been private owners.. they dont report us every month. We have no credit cards (have tried to get them) because we have no credit. We dont have a car payment- because we havee our older cars.Although I have been told by lenders that I work with that is the worst way to go about credit to get a house- because its like a huge mark all at once.

terp03

Originally posted by Techno Kat
Watercolor, Target, Lowe's, Sears. Have you tried for those credit cards?

You don't want to get caught up in those. Store cards are rip-offs.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Its not bad credit.. its NO CREDIT. We have none. Not bad- nothing tarnished, we just have NONE.

Go to a department/clothing store and get one of their 24.99% interest cards. Charge a little and pay it off as soon as you get your statement. Use that card to start building a credit history. It worked for me when I was starting out.

terp03

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy prices for rent

Its not bad credit.. its NO CREDIT. We have none. Not bad- nothing tarnished, we just have NONE. we have gotten the equifax and such.. but, because we have never lived in an apartment complex.. or something of that nature- and its been private owners.. they dont report us every month. We have no credit cards (have tried to get them) because we have no credit. We dont have a car payment- because we havee our older cars.Although I have been told by lenders that I work with that is the worst way to go about credit to get a house- because its like a huge mark all at once.

Obviously, its going to take time for you to build credit. Can you join a credit union through your job? If so, I don't see why they would turn you down for a credit card. Try and get some bills put under your name. If you have a cell phone, that will help. I'm sure you can find a company willing to give you a credit card. Read the info here: http://www.fool.com/ccc/manage/manage03.htm#blemish

Techno Kat

Store cards are a rip-off if you don't pay them off and continue to rack up the amount owed due to compounded interest. But store cards are the way to begin a line of credit for those who do not wish to do so with larger purchases such as a car or home.

terp03

Store cards are a rip-off if you don't pay them off and continue to rack up the amount owed due to compounded interest. But store cards are the way to begin a line of credit for those who do not wish to do so with larger purchases such as a car or home.

I understand what you're saying, but we're talking about someone with no credit experience. It would be easy for them to slip up and get screwed by one of these cards.

Just opening cards isn't going to help. Creditors will look to see that you have a history of paying your bills on time. It also won't look good to have too much potential debt. It would be more beneficial to open a Visa, use it for all your gas, and pay towards that every month.

Techno Kat

I hear you, terp03. I am assuming she went the "VISA" route and was turned down based on the fact that her and her husband are both currently employed and are showing great concern as to not having any credit established.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

DING-DING-DING!!! That is the whole point. You have to discipline yourself and PAY IT OFF EVERY SINGLE MONTH. I first got a Fashion Bug charge and paid off the balance religiously every month. I then worked up to a regular credit card, doing the same thing. By the time I was ready to buy a car, I had established my credit-worthiness and had no problems securing the loan.