CRE Are you ready for this?

frequentflier

happy to be living
and there is the problem, the airport is common propert that cannot be used by the majority of the residents. Absolutely $0 should be spent by the association to keep this ammenity up until all of the other ones are at 100%.

Otherwise, we should start charging fees like a normal civilian airport would. you know, storage and usage fees.
It really isn't right that only a handful of people are allowed to use the airport, and that even when it is not being used other members in good standing cant use our common space for activitys like flying kites or playing with remote control airplanes and such. A real solution would be to have the airport only operational on a few days a week and allow the rest of us to use it at all other times.

The airport was here when you chose to move here. The stables and beaches were also here when we moved here and although we don't *use* them, I personally think it is great that we have them for the community as a whole.
This is NOT a civilian airport. It is a private airport within a private community. "Storage and usage fees?" Our storage is on our front yard! That is why we chose to live here!
Do you realize what this airport could cost this community if some of the people here did not contribute out of pocket to the maintenance fund that bought a tractor and tow behind mower? If we did not volunteer to mow with said equipment as well as our own? You ought to be grateful that WE make it possible that CRE does not have to budget the money to do this. No one said we HAVE TO have maintain this airstrip!
Let's make it a playground certain days a week and all of you that think it should be shut down for it's REAL purpose can maintain it! I beg anyone to show me an airstrip that allows extra activities as the norm.
People walk along the outside borders of the airstrip; including people with dogs that do not have the courtesy to clean up after them. Some youngsters use the airport as a shortcut. We have advised all of them to look up and around and prefer they use the far ends to cross. Many people and kids are very respectful of this safety precaution!
But then there are those that think this is a park and a ball field and kids that play on their bikes on the runway; even though they have been asked and told not to do it. The vandalism is frequent. Moltov Cocktails, broken glass, broken signs and lights. Who cleans that mess that someone's little darling's leave behind? Who replaces the runway lights so that pilots and the medi-vac can land safely? Who cleaned up the dog crap and hog roast leftovers? It wasn't you!
Do you realize there are 2 landing strips here? One is a grassy strip; the other is paved. Do you realize that pilots cannot see you on the ground when they go for the final approach? There are several people that will go out and patrol on golf carts when they hear a pilot call on the radio that they are approaching. We cannot control deer and large birds but they can try to run them off. Kids and parent's mouthing off are much harder to control! As I said in my original post- SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT. But safety also goes hand in hand with RESPECT.
I personally approached a girl walking dogs on the edge of the runway. My husband was due home so I knew he would be landing soon. I told her she needed to walk along the side with her dogs. I was told to f**k off and she said "I pay to live here, so I can do what I want." Great! The blatant disregard for everyone's safety is scarey.

thatguy, I am not going to go back and forth with you. You never seem to offer anything useful to discussions and I do not have the time or energy to play your silly games.

For those open minded people out there- and I know you're out there- how would you feel if you were in our shoes? We move cross country and find a place with an amenity-my husbands dream. We invest a substantial amount of money into our home and build a brand new hangar. We pay our dues on time and take pride in our surroundings. And there are those, because it doesn't benefit THEM , that want to kick it out from under us. How the hell would you feel?
And last- can you imagine the class action lawsuit that will result if you manage to get this airport shut down? Who is going to win then?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I had to put my two cents in...

June

Yes, June, the FAA does make the rules but so many choose to disregard them! If we could catch and prosecute some of the offenders, they could face doing federal time.
Besides the open house, I know my husband has flown a half dozen people that have driven up our road asking questions about the airport!!
He has also flown probably 400+ young adults in the Young Eagles program throughout the country. FREE!

OmyGawd

The airport was here when you chose to move here. The stables and beaches were also here when we moved here and although we don't *use* them, I personally think it is great that we have them for the community as a whole.
This is NOT a civilian airport. It is a private airport within a private community. "Storage and usage fees?" Our storage is on our front yard! That is why we chose to live here!
Do you realize what this airport could cost this community if some of the people here did not contribute out of pocket to the maintenance fund that bought a tractor and tow behind mower? If we did not volunteer to mow with said equipment as well as our own? You ought to be grateful that WE make it possible that CRE does not have to budget the money to do this. No one said we HAVE TO have maintain this airstrip!
Let's make it a playground certain days a week and all of you that think it should be shut down for it's REAL purpose can maintain it! I beg anyone to show me an airstrip that allows extra activities as the norm.
People walk along the outside borders of the airstrip; including people with dogs that do not have the courtesy to clean up after them. Some youngsters use the airport as a shortcut. We have advised all of them to look up and around and prefer they use the far ends to cross. Many people and kids are very respectful of this safety precaution!
But then there are those that think this is a park and a ball field and kids that play on their bikes on the runway; even though they have been asked and told not to do it. The vandalism is frequent. Moltov Cocktails, broken glass, broken signs and lights. Who cleans that mess that someone's little darling's leave behind? Who replaces the runway lights so that pilots and the medi-vac can land safely? Who cleaned up the dog crap and hog roast leftovers? It wasn't you!
Do you realize there are 2 landing strips here? One is a grassy strip; the other is paved. Do you realize that pilots cannot see you on the ground when they go for the final approach? There are several people that will go out and patrol on golf carts when they hear a pilot call on the radio that they are approaching. We cannot control deer and large birds but they can try to run them off. Kids and parent's mouthing off are much harder to control! As I said in my original post- SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT. But safety also goes hand in hand with RESPECT.
I personally approached a girl walking dogs on the edge of the runway. My husband was due home so I knew he would be landing soon. I told her she needed to walk along the side with her dogs. I was told to f**k off and she said "I pay to live here, so I can do what I want." Great! The blatant disregard for everyone's safety is scarey.

thatguy, I am not going to go back and forth with you. You never seem to offer anything useful to discussions and I do not have the time or energy to play your silly games.

For those open minded people out there- and I know you're out there- how would you feel if you were in our shoes? We move cross country and find a place with an amenity-my husbands dream. We invest a substantial amount of money into our home and build a brand new hangar. We pay our dues on time and take pride in our surroundings. And there are those, because it doesn't benefit THEM , that want to kick it out from under us. How the hell would you feel?
And last- can you imagine the class action lawsuit that will result if you manage to get this airport shut down? Who is going to win then?

Amen. Safety should always come first. The amenity might be used by just a few but they are the ones who maintain it for the use of all. I don't know the rules about friends coming in to visit, but it would be nice if you have a friend who flies be able to stop and visit or pick you up for a flight. The volunteers who maintain the airfield should be applauded rather than chastised for not allowing things that could cause injury or damage. Let them enjoy it rather telling them it isn't worth it.:thewave:

stsssn

Airport people have nothing to worry about. A majority of this community support your amenity. We knew it was here when we moved in. Just like the stables and the campgrounds. I like having them. What other community in Maryland can say they have this array of amenities.

It is unfortunate that each group of people including the GM have to be prepared to fight for what is accepted.

We have security. I like it! We have a violations task force. I like it! we have a roads crew. again I like it. That is why I live here.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Airport people have nothing to worry about. A majority of this community support your amenity. We knew it was here when we moved in. Just like the stables and the campgrounds. I like having them. What other community in Maryland can say they have this array of amenities.

It is unfortunate that each group of people including the GM have to be prepared to fight for what is accepted.

We have security. I like it! We have a violations task force. I like it! we have a roads crew. again I like it. That is why I live here.

Thank you (wanna go see what this place looks from high above?!)

Jbeckman

My only response to this is reference the beginning of your statement.

It is wonderful that the people along the strip do take care of it; however the association still incurs costs to the facility/amenity. But, please, do consider the fact that if it were not cared for in the fashion it is now, it would be moved to the bottom or close to the bottom of the list or at a minimum, limited time spent on maintaining it...which is the case for the other areas in the association.

This is what was recognized in the stables. They waited to have something done...the association to direct services there....however, limited funds meant prioritizing the spending of time and service.

frequentflier

happy to be living
My only response to this is reference the beginning of your statement.

It is wonderful that the people along the strip do take care of it; however the association still incurs costs to the facility/amenity. But, please, do consider the fact that if it were not cared for in the fashion it is now, it would be moved to the bottom or close to the bottom of the list or at a minimum, limited time spent on maintaining it...which is the case for the other areas in the association.

This is what was recognized in the stables. They waited to have something done...the association to direct services there....however, limited funds meant prioritizing the spending of time and service.

We were not told we "were at the bottom of the list" when we bought property here and registered our vehicles for the amenities; which there is only one we have use for...

ladyhawk

That was a great idea. I worked for a non-profit and we did this exact thing. One of our contributors was a printing company and they printed about 4K newsletters in color for a VERY low cost as long as we put their ad on the back. It's obvious to me now that the board needs some creative thinkers.

We actually had advertisers but previous management claimed that the ads were not paying for it and there was a waiting list.... Isn't there such a thing as raising the fee to advertise? Duhhh... But they wouldn't do that, I guess couldn't figure it out on their own. Even after I mentioned that they could do that, they chose not to....

Since then I know the previous board brought this up (myself, veronica and a couple of the others) and I've heard that it has been brought up with the current board, I have no idea why they don't do this. If there is a waiting list, raise the fee for advertisements, some people will still pay to advertise, others will choose not to, hence no more wating list... I think it can pay for itself it it's done in a business like manner.... OH wait, then you might get more information... sorry, I forgot that issue...

June

ladyhawk

I don't say this to many people....
Can I say we (those of us that do care about those things!) absolutely love you!?? It is rare to see that someone likes that much in CRE!

And yes, I am speaking for all of us, like it or not! LOL

June

ladyhawk

Yes, June, the FAA does make the rules but so many choose to disregard them! If we could catch and prosecute some of the offenders, they could face doing federal time.
Besides the open house, I know my husband has flown a half dozen people that have driven up our road asking questions about the airport!!
He has also flown probably 400+ young adults in the Young Eagles program throughout the country. FREE!

Thank you for clarifying that! Scott looks forward to the open house. I think he likes watching the kids that get so excited because it reminds him of his youth more then he would ever admit! LOL

We can't watch a movie without him pointing out something wrong when there are aircraft involved! "that was a different plane!", sometimes we end up rewinding...LOL I'm sure you can relate...thats if you don't do the same thing. I'm not into the planes, I'm into the movie! LOL

June

frequentflier

happy to be living
We actually had advertisers but previous management claimed that the ads were not paying for it and there was a waiting list.... Isn't there such a thing as raising the fee to advertise? Duhhh... But they wouldn't do that, I guess couldn't figure it out on their own. Even after I mentioned that they could do that, they chose not to....

Since then I know the previous board brought this up (myself, veronica and a couple of the others) and I've heard that it has been brought up with the current board, I have no idea why they don't do this. If there is a waiting list, raise the fee for advertisements, some people will still pay to advertise, others will choose not to, hence no more wating list... I think it can pay for itself it it's done in a business like manner.... OH wait, then you might get more information... sorry, I forgot that issue...

June

Our business was established in 2002 so when we moved her on 2005, I inquired about advertising. Many times! No return calls and no advertising revenue.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Thank you for clarifying that! Scott looks forward to the open house. I think he likes watching the kids that get so excited because it reminds him of his youth more then he would ever admit! LOL

We can't watch a movie without him pointing out something wrong when there are aircraft involved! "that was a different plane!", sometimes we end up rewinding...LOL I'm sure you can relate...thats if you don't do the same thing. I'm not into the planes, I'm into the movie! LOL

June

Somehow, the pilots and those of us living on the airport are portrayed as the bad guys. What most people don't realize is how much training and time is spent by these men and women to be where they are. To continue the qualifications to be where they are in their professional and personal lives.

Or maybe most people don't care because it does not directly benefit them.

Ya know what-my husband and I have never had children yet we have paid plenty of taxes towards educating and feeding them!

tygrace

I was told last night (not going to mention the source) that Jennie and June want to turn CRE into a municipality, do away with security, and giving violations out. Is that true?
I know I could read all 300+ replies, but I doubt I would be finished by the time the ballot is due!! lol

OmyGawd

I was told last night (not going to mention the source) that Jennie and June want to turn CRE into a municipality, do away with security, and giving violations out. Is that true?
I know I could read all 300+ replies, but I doubt I would be finished by the time the ballot is due!! lol

Check your source please, that is true bovine defecation.

As far as I know they have never advocated for a municipality or doing away with security or violations. Try talking to them, go to the meeting and ask them. They only want what is best for the community and will listen to you if you have an opinion.

By the way if any of that stuff is to be done, it would have to go through the membership, not done by Board order.

tygrace

Check your source please, that is true bovine defecation.

As far as I know they have never advocated for a municipality or doing away with security or violations. Try talking to them, go to the meeting and ask them. They only want what is best for the community and will listen to you if you have an opinion.

By the way if any of that stuff is to be done, it would have to go through the membership, not done by Board order.

That's why I asked, I wasn't sure and wanted an answer. The source is an employee of CRE.

thatguy

Somehow, the pilots and those of us living on the airport are portrayed as the bad guys. What most people don't realize is how much training and time is spent by these men and women to be where they are. To continue the qualifications to be where they are in their professional and personal lives.

Ya know what-my husband and I have never had children yet we have paid plenty of taxes towards educating and feeding them!

i dont think that you are bad guys, i just think that particular amenity should be at the bottom of the list considering the number of paying members that are actually allowed to use it. Additionally, I know that plenty has been spent in recent years to keep that amenity up, and while your and others contributions to clean up and grass cutting may offset some of those costs, the association incurs plenty.

as for what we knew when we moved here, you knew that you were in the minority when you moved here and should be counting your lucky stars that no board has put this to a vote.

For me i say do away with security, the campgrounds, the stables and the airport (and all of their associated costs, insurance etc.) and concentrate on the ammenities that everyone can use.

Finaaly, i and most of my neighbors are in favor of becoming a municipality where we have real elected officials that have some sort of responsibility and accountablity. IF that is ever put to a vote, i think it will win hands down.

then the airport will either go away or become a normal civilian airport with appropriate fees.

Mama_Mia08

I think it is wonderful that all of you that live by and use the air strip volunteer to maintain it. I really wish ALL members (not just necessarily in this forum) would respect all your hard work and the fact that you look out for their safety. I would have flipped if I was trying to look out for someones and they told me to f*** off. OMG! That got MY blood boiling and I wasn't even there. Some people (not all) don't care until something tragic happens like a plane hitting someone.

Also, some people don't realize how much it costs to maintain a landing strip, build a hanger, maintain a plane, etc. Yes, you chose to get the plane, but you also CHOSE to spend your $$$ to buy a house in CRE with the understanding that this amenity is FREE since you are a member and PAID your dues. Just like those of us who go to the beach, park, or any other amenity. I was also thinking that maybe some of those people who use the landing strip for other uses didn't realize the grass is also used to land. However, that doesn't give them the right to be disrespectful and vandalize it. Also, what if your husband was to land the plane on the beach??? People would be pissed. I just want to say THANK YOU to you and the other members for all your work in keeping the airstrip as nice as possible. I think all amenities should be kept up and they should not be ranked in any order. (if that is what they do) Different members use different amenities.

Mama_Mia08

I was also wondering something else. Please don't beat me up for this people. If it isn't being done already, what if every month or so a group of members were to volunteer time to clean up or fix up some of these amentities that are being neglected. Just like what the folks are doing who use the air strip. I realize this isn't ideal and the money should come from our member fees and there is a maintainance crew, I'm assuming. At this time though this stuff isn't being done. A couple hours time on a weekend can end up helping property values in the long run. Not to mention the enjoyment people will get when they see how nice the stuff can be again. Just a thought...be nice...please....

Jbeckman

We were not told we "were at the bottom of the list" when we bought property here and registered our vehicles for the amenities; which there is only one we have use for...

I understand when you purchased here you were not told "bottom of the list" regarding the airport. HOwever, I don't use the airport, but did use the lake and it is unkept often, and somewhat (putting it mildly) unhealthy. But it is at the "bottom of the list" often and used by the larger majority (or at least it was and would be available to a larger majority) .

That is all I meant.

I want my lake back in condition of when I purchased here, I want the bathhouses back to condition.

thatguy

I understand when you purchased here you were not told "bottom of the list" regarding the airport. HOwever, I don't use the airport, but did use the lake and it is unkept often, and somewhat (putting it mildly) unhealthy. But it is at the "bottom of the list" often and used by the larger majority (or at least it was and would be available to a larger majority) .

That is all I meant.

I want my lake back in condition of when I purchased here, I want the bathhouses back to condition.

both of which could have been accomplished a few years ago had the BoD not spent over 100K repaving the airstrip.

BTW, anyone know what we pay in insurance premiums for the airport?

like i said, i support the move to a municipality, or just disolution of the HOA. what we have now is a small group of people taking care of their friends and the vocal minority. there should be some accountability