CRE VS WW

PeoplesElbow

Better wording could not have been used

Currently Calvert County has two STDs, The Property Owners Association of Chesapeake Ranch Estates (POACRE) and Drum Point Property Owners Association (DPPOA). Each is a large homeowners association with many miles of non-County maintained roads. Each gained the STD status in the mid to late 1990s.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I didn't read all the responses, but surely someone mentioned that in bad weather - snow or heavy rain - the roads in CRE become impassable and you are homebound until nature makes it go away.

mitzi

Which is funny, because when I first moved to CRE, I was commuting to DC.

I lived there in 1986 and commuted to DC also. It was just too much. I liked the house and living there. Being there during the summer was a lot of fun. We always went to the lake and the beach was just down the hill from us. It was quiet and there was no trouble anywhere. But I was hearing the nightmare stories of the roads in the winter and we decided it was best to go back to St. Mary's. Both ex and I commuted to DC. His job had him all over the DC area, sometimes in Montgomery County and it was just too much travel time with having two young kids. The evenings consisted of dinner, some homework and collapsing. No time for anything.

1stGenSMIB

Way back when I lived in CRE, we had two HOA fees yearly and somehow, POACRE managed to get a special tax district slammed on TOP of the fees.

By contrast - the next development over - Drum Point - had only a trivial yearly fee of a few dozen bucks - it's up to 275 yearly, which is close to WW's MONTHLY fee.
My parents bought a house in Drum Point when I was in high school. I seem to remember our HOA was like $10! It did go up while I lived there..my mother rented her house out for a few years after she moved on before finally selling in the late 90s. Not sure what it is now, but I have friends that still live there. I might ask them simply out of curiosity.
Didn't some of the CRE funds help run their independent water company? I watched that place blow up in the late 80's when I rode the school bus thru there.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Covenant Road Fee: Billed and collected by the DPPOA

$126.00 / year / lot - (FY 2023) . This is a required payment per the Covenants and is adjusted every year, according to the Consumer Price Index (calculator found online).

Mandatory Assessment: Billed and collected by the DPPOA

$55.00 / year / lot for all developed lots

$20.00 / year / lot for all undeveloped lots

Drum Point is part of a Special Tax District as follows:
Special Tax District IV:

$175.00 / year / tax ID property (Beginning FY 2023)

woogie

Now do the POACRE dues, fees. STDs, and other stuff and compare
to Drum Point. BIG DIFFERENCE! And Drum Point's roads and infrastructure
are in much better shape! And Wildwood is light years better and cheaper!