Cruise Ship Terminal in Solomons?

mamatutu

mama to two
Actually this area does have a lot to offer from a historical perspective but I am just fine with no noticeable tourist trade. We have enough people here already, we don't need a bunch of tourists shipped in.

Agree. You are right. There is huge history here. I think many don't understand how much soMD played into the War of 1812, much less the first landing of immigrants from England. Calvert can't take more traffic because Rt.4 would have to be widened. It is a mess as it is. If tourist could be accommodated, I think they would appreciate the wealth of history here, but that would be a major production; to say the least.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Actually this area does have a lot to offer from a historical perspective but I am just fine with no noticeable tourist trade. We have enough people here already, we don't need a bunch of tourists shipped in.

While both are true very few are coming here to see the historical sites.

Broken Toy

Is this all there is?
I never said there was a speed limit. I said they have to go slow because of their wake. All vessels are responsible for their wake. They can go as fast as they want as long as their wake doesn't do any damage. A speedy tug boats has a much different wake at 12 knots than a 90,000 ton 1,000 foot long cruise ship.

You must not spend much time out on the Bay. The cruise ships race up and down the Bay far faster than 12 knots - more like 20+. So do some of the big RoRo cargo ships. Yes, they throw a big wake, but they are out in the shipping channel.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If the run down the bay was an issue, the Newport News / Norfolk cruise terminal would see much more traffic. They have a port infrastructure for big ships, amtrak an airport and interstate access. Solomons has none of that.

But we have Duke Field and the airport in the Ranch Club. Who needs Amtrak, people can take the bus from DC to one of many park and ride lots.
Just think of it this way, if a quarter of the passengers on the cruise ship took the St. Mary's Historic excursion, paid visitors to Sotterly Plantation would double for the year with just one cruise.

MMDad

Lem Putt
But the cruise ship crowd might have a point, the Calvert land fill is only a few miles up the road. Ships could pull in and off load their trash.

Instead of "land fill" it should be "land full." It would be more economical for them to offload their trash at the land fill that we ship our trash to.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I first moved to SoMD way back when I liked the idea that it was a quiet place. It's a peninsula with no roads that continue further south. I'd go months at a time and never leave the 3 county area. If you make it down to Pt. Lookout you have to turn around. There is no exit. Now take Richmond for example. Lots of people go through Richmond on their way to somewhere else. That put a lot of traffic on their roads.

If they ever build a bridge to the eastern shore or put in some sort of car ferry in then traffic will increase exponentially, especially in the summer. Traffic would be horrific and St. Mary's and Calvert counties would lose some of their charm. I'm sure it may change in the future but until then let's enjoy it while we can.

Bavarian

In what world do you live? Do you see people flocking to SoMD to "visit" these sites? No, about the only thing that attracts a crowd to SoMD is the Tiki Bar.

But the cruise ship crowd might have a point, the Calvert land fill is only a few miles up the road. Ships could pull in and off load their trash.

Maybe when Exxon Mobile runs that new fuel line down RT 4....

There are often buses coming to Coltons point from up North. As a Knight of Columbus, I helped in setting up a living Rosary there, at times EWTN has come to cover it. Many years ago, I think in '84 I was on St. Clements Island for the Blessing of the Fleet and saw a small cruise ship out in the water. People from DC who were down there said they had heard of this expensive cruise.

The only reason to go on a cruise is the iteinerary, shore stops, what you can see. I think the MS Prinsendam should fit easily under the bridge, Not for people who want a "Booze Cruise"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Our next cruise leaves from Ft. Lauderdale, plan on rental car, and first stop Key West. Well we could drive down to Key West, but a stop is a stop. Then stops along the way to Rio for Carneval, back north going up the Amazon to Manaus then back out. 49 Days, short for us now. then drive home.

Did you seriously just compare Solomons to Key West and Rio?

:lol: :huggy:

Enjoy your cruise!

Bavarian

Did you seriously just compare Solomons to Key West and Rio?

:lol: :huggy:

Enjoy your cruise!
Just Key West as a stop. But some stops along the way seem to have nothing, no excursions. Samba Show for Carnevel is very expensive. They are all higher now.

Qur logest was 113 day round the world. in 2008

Last ocean cruise was Asia Australia, 70 days rough seas in Aleutians Canceled shows as stage was a rocking in 2010.

River Cruise on Danube Eastern Europe last Spring

Could get cheap one week, but wife is spoiled with long ones, said we could not unpack. Working on her to take Western Caribbean,

abcxyz

If the run down the bay was an issue, the Newport News / Norfolk cruise terminal would see much more traffic. They have a port infrastructure for big ships, amtrak an airport and interstate access. Solomons has none of that.

Baltimore to Solomons = 80 miles. Baltimore to Solomons = 230 miles. Most willing to drive to Baltimore would more than likely they would be willing to drive to Solomons. Norfolk, most likely not so much. Baltimore/Solomons are in the same market, Norfolk is a different market.

You must not spend much time out on the Bay. The cruise ships race up and down the Bay far faster than 12 knots - more like 20+. So do some of the big RoRo cargo ships. Yes, they throw a big wake, but they are out in the shipping channel.

I was not the one that introduced 12 knots in to the conversation, merely was using the same speed as the post I quoted to highlight my point (wake matters, speed doesn't).

BernieP

Resident PIA
Baltimore to Solomons = 80 miles. Baltimore to Solomons = 230 miles. Most willing to drive to Baltimore would more than likely they would be willing to drive to Solomons. Norfolk, most likely not so much. Baltimore/Solomons are in the same market, Norfolk is a different market.

I was not the one that introduced 12 knots in to the conversation, merely was using the same speed as the post I quoted to highlight my point (wake matters, speed doesn't).

Please, take one look at the drive to Solomons and tell me who would prefer that drive - as big as chithole as you might consider Bal'more, it has better access via interstate highways, rail, air and bus service than Culvert county does. Not only are you talking about getting people into the area, but tons of supplies and fuel. All coming through the chokepoint of Prince Frederick and the stop lights along RT 4.

bilbur

Please, take one look at the drive to Solomons and tell me who would prefer that drive - as big as chithole as you might consider Bal'more, it has better access via interstate highways, rail, air and bus service than Culvert county does. Not only are you talking about getting people into the area, but tons of supplies and fuel. All coming through the chokepoint of Prince Frederick and the stop lights along RT 4.

What scares me is that if this actually happens this might rekindle the conversation about brining some sort of rail system to the area. I really don't want to make it any easier for people from the city to get here.

BernieP

Resident PIA
What scares me is that if this actually happens this might rekindle the conversation about brining some sort of rail system to the area. I really don't want to make it any easier for people from the city to get here.

don't worry, those black folk from DC won't be coming your way, SMC took care of that by chopping up the right of way. To bad, a light rail service could have taken a significant load off of RT 235/RT 5 traffic. People would not have to leave their house at 0 dark thirty to drive into the DC area.