Cruise Ship Terminal in Solomons?

somdfunguy

not impressed
This port would be a great shore stop. Now that these cruise ships leave from the North, NYC, Baltimore, a stop here in Historic Southern Maryland would be ideal. As for a departure port, who wants to leave their car outside for a couple of months. Busses could take passengers to St. Maries Citty, Sotterley, Colton's Point and return. Maybe enough time for a walking tour of Solomons giving the merchants a lot of sales.

Our next cruise leaves from Ft. Lauderdale, plan on rental car, and first stop Key West. Well we could drive down to Key West, but a stop is a stop. Then stops along the way to Rio for Carneval, back north going up the Amazon to Manaus then back out. 49 Days, short for us now. then drive home.

In what universe is Southern Maryland a place for tourists? What exactly would people do? Wait in traffic, get stuck on a bridge, see the cemetery in San Souci?

Bavarian

In what universe is Southern Maryland a place for tourists? What exactly would people do? Wait in traffic, get stuck on a bridge, see the cemetery in San Souci?

You must be new to the County. Maybe one of those people who invaded us with the BRAC. You have evidently not visited St. Maries Citty, First Capital of MD, seen the Arc and the Dove. Gone to Colton's Point and St. Clement's Island where the first settlers came and Mass was first Offered, Sotterley Plantation. Take time to see and learn what your new home has to offer.

abcxyz

I call BS on this. You're correct that money is probably the leading driver of where a cruise ship port is located. I just don't think it has anything to do with a speed limit.

I never said there was a speed limit. I said they have to go slow because of their wake. All vessels are responsible for their wake. They can go as fast as they want as long as their wake doesn't do any damage. A speedy tug boats has a much different wake at 12 knots than a 90,000 ton 1,000 foot long cruise ship.

One ship leaves New Jersey, one ship leaves Baltimore, both going to Bermuda. The NJ ship will arrive sooner (more time on shore), depart to come home later (more time on shore) and get home at the same time for less money (more money for Dark N Stormy's on shore). Reason? Going down/up the Chesapeake Bay... A Solomons Island departure changes that.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
They're already starting to build it, just look at the field on the right as you're crossing over to Solomon's :shrug:

nobody really

I need a nap
You must be new to the County. Maybe one of those people who invaded us with the BRAC. You have evidently not visited St. Maries Citty, First Capital of MD, seen the Arc and the Dove. Gone to Colton's Point and St. Clement's Island where the first settlers came and Mass was first Offered, Sotterley Plantation. Take time to see and learn what your new home has to offer.

apparently neither have you. :killingme

isn't that part of the cove point conversion? it sure does make the view from the bridge look like ####.

That is an 18 month project. The field will be returned to its original state and the pier will be torn down. That is all part of a wetlands license issued by the State of Maryland.

BernieP

Resident PIA

In what world do you live? Do you see people flocking to SoMD to "visit" these sites? No, about the only thing that attracts a crowd to SoMD is the Tiki Bar.

But the cruise ship crowd might have a point, the Calvert land fill is only a few miles up the road. Ships could pull in and off load their trash.

Maybe when Exxon Mobile runs that new fuel line down RT 4....

somdfunguy

not impressed

Please enlighten me about the number of out of town visitors that come to those places now.

bilbur

Please enlighten me about the number of out of town visitors that come to those places now.

Actually this area does have a lot to offer from a historical perspective but I am just fine with no noticeable tourist trade. We have enough people here already, we don't need a bunch of tourists shipped in.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
In what world do you live? Do you see people flocking to SoMD to "visit" these sites? No, about the only thing that attracts a crowd to SoMD is the Tiki Bar.

But the cruise ship crowd might have a point, the Calvert land fill is only a few miles up the road. Ships could pull in and off load their trash.

Maybe when Exxon Mobile runs that new fuel line down RT 4....

Even the vaunted Marine Museum draws 75% of its visitors from within a 30 mile radius.

PeoplesElbow

This port would be a great shore stop. Now that these cruise ships leave from the North, NYC, Baltimore, a stop here in Historic Southern Maryland would be ideal. As for a departure port, who wants to leave their car outside for a couple of months. Busses could take passengers to St. Maries Citty, Sotterley, Colton's Point and return. Maybe enough time for a walking tour of Solomons giving the merchants a lot of sales.

Our next cruise leaves from Ft. Lauderdale, plan on rental car, and first stop Key West. Well we could drive down to Key West, but a stop is a stop. Then stops along the way to Rio for Carneval, back north going up the Amazon to Manaus then back out. 49 Days, short for us now. then drive home.

People don't go on cruises to see that stuff.

officeguy

One ship leaves New Jersey, one ship leaves Baltimore, both going to Bermuda. The NJ ship will arrive sooner (more time on shore), depart to come home later (more time on shore) and get home at the same time for less money (more money for Dark N Stormy's on shore). Reason? Going down/up the Chesapeake Bay... A Solomons Island departure changes that.

If the run down the bay was an issue, the Newport News / Norfolk cruise terminal would see much more traffic. They have a port infrastructure for big ships, amtrak an airport and interstate access. Solomons has none of that.

vince77

SoMd can't even get an upscale grocery store to open a store here. This thread should have been saved for April 1st.