Culture of conspiracy: The Birthers

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Culture of conspiracy: The Birthers - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

"Bill Clinton had the Vince Foster "murder." George W. Bush had 9/11 Truth. And the new administration has brought with it a new culture of conspiracy: The Birthers.

Out of the gaze of the mainstream and even the conservative media is a flourishing culture of advocates, theorists and lawyers, all devoted to proving that Barack Obama isn't eligible to be president of the United States. Viewed as irrelevant by the White House, and as embarrassing by much of the Republican Party, the subculture still thrives from the conservative website WorldNetDaily, which claims that some 300,000 people have signed a petition demanding more information on Obama's birth, to Cullman, Alabama, where Sen. Richard Shelby took a question on the subject at a town hall meeting last week.

Their confinement to the fringe hasn't cooled the passion of believers; the obscure New York preacher James Manning turned up at a National Press Club session in December to declare the president "the most notorious criminal in the history not just of America, but of this entire planet."

A quick reality check, before we dive in: The challenges to Obama's eligibility have no grounding in evidence. Courts across the country have summarily rejected the movement's theory — that Obama can't be a citizen because his father wasn't —as a misreading of U.S. law; and Hawaii officials, along with contemporary birth announcements, affirm that Obama was in fact born in Honolulu in 1961.

But belief in obscure, discredited theories is a constant in a country with a history of partisan division — a country in which, a recent survey showed, 34 percent of the public believes in UFOs and 24 percent believes in witches.."

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
A quick reality check, before we dive in: The challenges to Obama's eligibility have no grounding in evidence. Courts across the country have summarily rejected the movement's theory — that Obama can't be a citizen because his father wasn't —as a misreading of U.S. law; and Hawaii officials, along with contemporary birth announcements, affirm that Obama was in fact born in Honolulu in 1961.

So why doesn't Obama allow the Governor of Hawaii to release a certified true copy of his original birth certificate that has the name of the attending physician and hospital where he was born?
Wouldn't that end all the speculation or ar least relegate this issue to the tin foil hatters?

FYI - Hawaii has affirmed that they have a document concerning his birth. They have not confirmed it's content

The Oyster Guy

Honestly, the "Birthers" are the successors to the idiotic "9-11 Truthers"... Nothing but a bunch of internet nutjobs echoing baseless stories to one another and saying "I know its true because I read it on the web!"

There's a book here, dying to be written... I think I'll name it "The Conspiracy Superhighway" (copyright TheOysterGuy 2009). Hell, I could probably get an entire chapter out of the crap I've read on the SoMD Forums, alone!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Honestly, the "Birthers" are the successors to the idiotic "9-11 Truthers"... Nothing but a bunch of internet nutjobs echoing baseless stories to one another and saying "I know its true because I read it on the web!"

There's a book here, dying to be written... I think I'll name it "The Conspiracy Superhighway" (copyright TheOysterGuy 2009). Hell, I could probably get an entire chapter out of the crap I've read on the SoMD Forums, alone!

If it's all a BS conspiricy, please post a link to Obama's birth certificate. Not a Certificate of birth like his Indonesion born sister has, but one with the physicians name, name of the hospital, names of witnesses etc.

The Oyster Guy

If it's all a BS conspiricy, please post a link to Obama's birth certificate. Not a Certificate of birth like his Indonesion born sister has, but one with the physicians name, name of the hospital, names of witnesses etc.

Please, tell me how you learned that Obama's sister has a Hawaii-issued certificate of birth? Where did you find it? I'd like to see it.

But you won't be able to produce any evidence of her alleged Hawaii BC, because it's just another fantasy of the Birthers.