Curves

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
FancyBelle said:
Have you thought about Lady Slender or Workout express? Know anything about them? I have got to do something, but I don't want to go by myself OR with somebody skinnier than me. Think I could start a fat ladies thingie where we'd just sit around in a circle and talk about people or knit?? BTW, anybody seen the previews for Campus Ladies? That show looks like it'll be funny as hell. Kinda reminds me of BSGal and me!!! I am the dark haired fat lady.
Haven't thought about those cause now I'm obligated to Curves for a few months, but I can get out of it in 2 months by giving them $10 and yelling AMF as I sprint out the door. I'll keep at it until then and if I don't see any results, then I'm gone.

Haven't seen the previews for Campus Ladies. When is that going to be on and what channel????

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
BS Gal said:
Haven't thought about those cause now I'm obligated to Curves for a few months, but I can get out of it in 2 months by giving them $10 and yelling AMF as I sprint out the door. I'll keep at it until then and if I don't see any results, then I'm gone.

Haven't seen the previews for Campus Ladies. When is that going to be on and what channel????
I think it starts Sun Jan 8 on the Oxygen channel at 10:00. It's about two older "ladies" that start college and all the young girls are just floored by them. They learn what a kegger is and all about college parties. They must be complete idiots, but the previews are outrageous! I am TiVo ing it so I can watch it at a decent hour.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
FancyBelle said:
I think it starts Sun Jan 8 on the Oxygen channel at 10:00. It's about two older "ladies" that start college and all the young girls are just floored by them. They learn what a kegger is and all about college parties. They must be complete idiots, but the previews are outrageous! I am TiVo ing it so I can watch it at a decent hour.

I sooo need TiVo. I never stay up past 10:00 unless I'm chatting on the forum.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
sinwagon said:
They say, and I don't know if it is true or not, that you can only work out for about a 1/2 hour. After a 1/2 hour they say your body begins to burn lean muscle instead of fat. Thats why they "say" only to come 3x per week. They also "say" the only muscles you can work on a daily basis without burning muscle is the stomach muscle.

I don't belong to that curves, but I do belong to curves but have kind of been neglecting to go for quite a while!

Those "They" people are always saying things. :) It's way too easy to get frustrated listening to "experts."

Two basic rules for getting fit...

1. DO something (Anything!). to increase your activity level on a daily basis
2. Eat sensibly (Don't overindulge but don't deny yourself either!)

Gyms are nice, but you don't really need one.You'd be amazed at just how good of a workout you can get in the privacy of your own home.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Lugnut said:
Those "They" people are always saying things. :) It's way too easy to get frustrated listening to "experts."

Two basic rules for getting fit...

1. DO something (Anything!). to increase your activity level on a daily basis
2. Eat sensibly (Don't overindulge but don't deny yourself either!)

Gyms are nice, but you don't really need one.You'd be amazed at just how good of a workout you can get in the privacy of your own home.
You are so right. I have actually been doing something extra every day and I can tell I have lost some, but I want it to come off faster. Right now, for example, I am going to walk down 3 flights to get a snack. JK! I have been taking the steps more and I can see a difference. I need something at home to get me off my fat a$$.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
FancyBelle said:
You are so right. I have actually been doing something extra every day and I can tell I have lost some, but I want it to come off faster. Right now, for example, I am going to walk down 3 flights to get a snack. JK! I have been taking the steps more and I can see a difference. I need something at home to get me off my fat a$$.
I would have thought chasing Trixie around would be exercise enough. :lol:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
FancyBelle said:

You could walk over here every day at lunch, make my lunch, then walk back.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
BS Gal said:
You could walk over here every day at lunch, make my lunch, then walk back.

Make her something really disgusting so she'll chase you out. That way you get an exercise buddy!

T

tikipirate

sinwagon said:
They say, and I don't know if it is true or not, that you can only work out for about a 1/2 hour. After a 1/2 hour they say your body begins to burn lean muscle instead of fat. Thats why they "say" only to come 3x per week. They also "say" the only muscles you can work on a daily basis without burning muscle is the stomach muscle.
The currently accepted rule of thumb for those wishing to gain muscle is to limit your weightlifting routine to 45 minutes. Anything beyond that will induce increased cortisol production which is catabolic, meaning one will lose muscle.

If one has the time, they can workout different body parts in the morning and in the evening without the ill effects of increased cortisol production.

Or so 'they' say. You know... 'them' ... 'those guys' ...

Vince

tikipirate said:
The currently accepted rule of thumb for those wishing to gain muscle is to limit your weightlifting routine to 45 minutes. Anything beyond that will induce increased cortisol production which is catabolic, meaning one will lose muscle.

If one has the time, they can workout different body parts in the morning and in the evening without the ill effects of increased cortisol production.

Or so 'they' say. You know... 'them' ... 'those guys' ...
Limit your lifting to every other day. Change the muscle groups that you work if you're going to do it daily. Do some aerobic type of exercise on the days you don't lift. Minimum of 20 min of some sort of aerobic exercise, i.e. running, walking, etc.

alex

I heard that Curves will only get you so far and that after a few months their program stops being effective for most people.

I joined a gym with my son. We nag each other to go to the gym and then go together. We do our warmups together than he does his thing and i do mine. I just started, so in about 2 months I will look at where I am and maybe signup for some personnel trainer hours.

I used to do Denise Austin at home. But it is really hard to do crunches and other floor excerises when a puppy is licking your face or trying to catch your toes.

lkt

curly-locks
Dont forget to add more protein to your diet.. protein makes u feel full longer... and the more protein u eat the more muscle u build!!

oh BTW GNC is having an awsome sale... I got the container of protein powder that is usually 47.00 for 27.00 today!!

You can make the Curves program harder.. it just depends how hard you work at it.. I go to the ladies workout express... and instead of the 30 min.. i do 60, but i also do another hour of exercise besides the resistance training.. IE: walk/jog 3-5 miles per day .. ive lost 70 lbs since march

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
lkt said:
Dont forget to add more protein to your diet.. protein makes u feel full longer... and the more protein u eat the more muscle u build!!

oh BTW GNC is having an awsome sale... I got the container of protein powder that is usually 47.00 for 27.00 today!!

You can make the Curves program harder.. it just depends how hard you work at it.. I go to the ladies workout express... and instead of the 30 min.. i do 60, but i also do another hour of exercise besides the resistance training.. IE: walk/jog 3-5 miles per day .. ive lost 70 lbs since march
They won't let me do 60 minutes. Twice around and they send me packing.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Lugnut said:
Make her something really disgusting so she'll chase you out. That way you get an exercise buddy!
Fancy: I'm bringing oysters in tomorrow. Could you come over and fry them up for me? Then I'll chase you back.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Some of the ladies I work with go to Curves. I don't see any difference in the before and after looks. :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
There's a new Curves in Lusby. There's a "fresh dipped donuts" place opening next to it. My wife said "Can you imagine what it would be like to try to work out while smelling fresh donuts?" I told her "Can you imagine trying to eat your freshed dipped donuts while smelling sweaty fat chicks?"

Can you believe she hit me! Should I press charges?

lkt

curly-locks
RoseRed said:
Some of the ladies I work with go to Curves. I don't see any difference in the before and after looks. :shrug:

i guess its like anything else the results u get depend on how .. hard u are willing to work at it or how bad u want to make changes...

roxie

I purchased one of the 2 month for $99.00 from the Curves in Leonardtown. I will use the 2 months but I won't renew after that. I do no feel that it is a "workout" at all. I wanted an all womens gym to get my feet wet, but they only let you stay for 30 minutes and they run it like a preschool. And so far every "trainer" who I have seen there is at least 30 lbs overweight. Not a good avertisment at all. The hours suck too, closed on Sunday and only open until 12 on Saturday.