Curves

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Pro-fitness in the park has a womans only side. I've tried to look but they catch me every time... :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
roxie said:
I purchased one of the 2 month for $99.00 from the Curves in Leonardtown. I will use the 2 months but I won't renew after that. I do no feel that it is a "workout" at all. I wanted an all womens gym to get my feet wet, but they only let you stay for 30 minutes and they run it like a preschool. And so far every "trainer" who I have seen there is at least 30 lbs overweight. Not a good avertisment at all. The hours suck too, closed on Sunday and only open until 12 on Saturday.
I think the overweight trainers are better then the 20 year old NEVER been overweight trainers.. At least they can relate.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
roxie said:
I purchased one of the 2 month for $99.00 from the Curves in Leonardtown. I will use the 2 months but I won't renew after that. I do no feel that it is a "workout" at all. I wanted an all womens gym to get my feet wet, but they only let you stay for 30 minutes and they run it like a preschool. And so far every "trainer" who I have seen there is at least 30 lbs overweight. Not a good avertisment at all. The hours suck too, closed on Sunday and only open until 12 on Saturday.
I feel the same way about the one by K-Mart. I have an option to get out of it in two months, so I'll stick with it until then and see if I see any results. The "pre-school" mentality is what really gets me. If I want to do the circuit ten times, that should be my business, not theirs. I'll probably join the gym in San Souci in two months,as I have heard good things about that place. I have been going to Curves 4x week and want to see if it has made any difference at all when I get my measurements done again in a few weeks.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Cathy and I are going to try the Ladies Workout Express in Hollywood. Want to go with us. They have a coupon on their website for 10 visits for $10.00. You can't beat that! Come on and go with us.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
FancyBelle said:
Cathy and I are going to try the Ladies Workout Express in Hollywood. Want to go with us. They have a coupon on their website for 10 visits for $10.00. You can't beat that! Come on and go with us.

I'm tied up with Curves until the end of February and I am using it a lot. I've got my little routine going now. Curves, tanning place, home. If I decide this isn't doing it for me, and you and Cathy are still doing that Ladies Workout place, then I'll switch over to that, if I check it out and like it. I'm doing the treadmill a bit at home, also.

Angel

~*~*~
I had a membership at Curves and thought it was okay. If you are use to a regular gym, then Curves is not much of a challenge. They also have a book which covers how each machine works and then a diet you are suppose to follow to really see the results. The people who own the one in Laurel Glen also own the one in Lexington Park. I went to both of thier gyms and definitely like the one in Laurel Glen better because they had all of the equipment. They have to have so many memberships or enough money to purchase all the equipment and last time I went the one in Lexington Park they only had half of the machines and the one in Laurel Glenn had all of them. Anyway.... I actually got bored at Curves and I have since dropped out and joined a regular gym. I do spinning twice a week and love it. I've also started doing an aerobics class which I love too. I haven't been watching my diet, so I'm still a fat a$$, but I am happy to say I now have a firm fat a$$! Good Luck on whatever you decide you will do. I think Curves works if you work it...... kinda like AA. :smile:

roxie

BS Gal said:
I feel the same way about the one by K-Mart. I have an option to get out of it in two months, so I'll stick with it until then and see if I see any results. The "pre-school" mentality is what really gets me. If I want to do the circuit ten times, that should be my business, not theirs. I'll probably join the gym in San Souci in two months,as I have heard good things about that place. I have been going to Curves 4x week and want to see if it has made any difference at all when I get my measurements done again in a few weeks.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way............I do the twice around in about 25 minutes and just don't see how it's really helping. They said I'm only allowed to come 3X a week at Leonardtown.....is it that way at Laurel Glen?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
roxie said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way............I do the twice around in about 25 minutes and just don't see how it's really helping. They said I'm only allowed to come 3X a week at Leonardtown.....is it that way at Laurel Glen?
They have yet to limit how many x a week I can go. I've been four days this week (Monday-Thursday) and plan on going tomorrow. If they say ANYTHING to me about going more than 3x a week, I'm gonna get a new credit card so they can't charge me and be out of there. I kinda like it, though. At least I'm doing something. I don't really have much weight to lose, but need to tone what I have. I'll see what happens when they measure me at the end of the month. If nothing has happened, I'm going elsewhere at the end of Feb. Also, Leonardtown and the one in Laurel Glen have an agreement where you can use either. I am thinking about hitting the one in Leonardtown after work and then going to the one in Laurel Glen right after that. I'll see how that works out or if I get "busted" by them.

suzeQ

Occasional User
BS Gal said:
They have yet to limit how many x a week I can go. I've been four days this week (Monday-Thursday) and plan on going tomorrow. If they say ANYTHING to me about going more than 3x a week, I'm gonna get a new credit card so they can't charge me and be out of there. I kinda like it, though. At least I'm doing something. I don't really have much weight to lose, but need to tone what I have. I'll see what happens when they measure me at the end of the month. If nothing has happened, I'm going elsewhere at the end of Feb. Also, Leonardtown and the one in Laurel Glen have an agreement where you can use either. I am thinking about hitting the one in Leonardtown after work and then going to the one in Laurel Glen right after that. I'll see how that works out or if I get "busted" by them.

BS Gal,
I go to Curves, too. If you want to 'sneak' in an extra workout at another location, just don't sign in when you arrive at the second one. Since the Laurel Glen and Leonardtown ones are not owned by the same folks, they likely wouldn't compare notes. I'm not sure if this would work, with the 'travel pass' and everything, but it's worth a try.

The girls at Lex Park were discussing the 'twice around' limits this week and I didn't feel like it was explained satisfactorily. I'm thinking they just don't want any of us to look better than them . . . which isn't too hard. LOL.

Personally, I don't recommend Curves to anyone who really wants a good workout. It's more exercise than I was getting before, and has done wonders for my cholesterol, but after nearly a year, I really can't see much difference in my weight. I feel better after a workout and know how important exercise is, so I'll continue.

Good luck to you.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
jjcmom said:
How much does Curves cost?
They have a "sign-up" fee of $150, I think (I only paid $70 cause they were having a special) and then it's $29/month. The sign-up fee is b.s.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
suzeQ said:
I really can't see much difference in my weight. .
Perhaps you're not concerned with weight loss (maybe you want to tone), but if you are, why would you still continue to "work out" at Curves knowing you haven't seen a change in your body weight?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
jjcmom said:
$150.00 sign up fee??!!!!?????!!!! I'll pass on Curves!
I didn't have to pay a sign-up fee at Maximum Fitness. They pro-rate their dues depending on the day of the month you sign-up, then start deducting their fee on the first of every month.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
jjcmom said:
$150.00 sign up fee??!!!!?????!!!! I'll pass on Curves!
I got the first month free, also. They run specials sometimes. I have been going 3-4 times a week. I can feel a difference in some of my clothes, but still don't feel like it's really a workout. We'll see when they do the measurements if I am losing any inches.

roxie

The Curves in Leonardtown is now 40.00 a month plus the 150.00 sign up fee. When my special is up I'm going to join the gym in Mechcanicsville. I went last week with a friend and did not feel out of place at all. I feel like the Curves in Leonardtown is used as a "social hour" and not a gym at all. At Curves you cannot listen to your own music you must listen to what they have on. Because you work around in a circle there is no time to wipe down a machine before you get on. More times than not you in someone else's sweat and people coughing then putting their hands right back on machine you have to get on next. They post a calendar with the "events" of each day....wear socks that don't match day , wear your pj's day, silly stuff. If you don't go along they embarrass you in front of everyone by pointing out you are not going along with the crowd. In off times I've never seen them clean or wipe down any of the machines.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
roxie said:
The Curves in Leonardtown is now 40.00 a month plus the 150.00 sign up fee. When my special is up I'm going to join the gym in Mechcanicsville. I went last week with a friend and did not feel out of place at all. I feel like the Curves in Leonardtown is used as a "social hour" and not a gym at all. At Curves you cannot listen to your own music you must listen to what they have on. Because you work around in a circle there is no time to wipe down a machine before you get on. More times than not you in someone else's sweat and people coughing then putting their hands right back on machine you have to get on next. They post a calendar with the "events" of each day....wear socks that don't match day , wear your pj's day, silly stuff. If you don't go along they embarrass you in front of everyone by pointing out you are not going along with the crowd. In off times I've never seen them clean or wipe down any of the machines.
I tried the one in Leonardtown on a guest pass. I really prefer the one in Laurel Glen. More room and they don't give you any crap about what you are wearing. I lost 2 pounds and 3.5 inches the first month, so I guess it's working somewhat. I do go 4-6 times/week.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
roxie said:

I was thinking about signing up but I want to wear my sweat pants. Guess thats not the place for me. I want a place to work out not socialize.