Cybertruck design conversations

glhs837

Power with Control
Kind of pricy to look like a harbor freight tarp.

Yeah, never a fan of factory accessories. Generally they just go to a well known aftermarket company to get it made, then have it exclusive for a couple of years. With the rise of rapid prototyping capability, the benefit of having early access isnt the moat it once was. And I'm a cabin camper these days :)

glhs837

Power with Control

So a .50 cal happened way faster than I thought it would.

Wires didn't do the window or the door mechanism, wonder what they did go to... speaker maybe?

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, never a fan of factory accessories. Generally they just go to a well known aftermarket company to get it made, then have it exclusive for a couple of years. With the rise of rapid prototyping capability, the benefit of having early access isnt the moat it once was. And I'm a cabin camper these days :)
When I first saw the rendering thought it looked cool. What it looks like now is a reused Pontiac Aztec tent. https://images.app.goo.gl/9xjTUvWnsGRGJt7z7

glhs837

Power with Control

Well, this tech should mitigate a few things. The "I dont wanna plug in" crowd and the apartment/street parking dilemma.

Park and walk away. Evidently, this method costs more than the wireless charging we are used to but tops over 90% efficiency.

Me, I'm fine plugging in, but while my wife would do it when I'm not around, she would prefer to just park. :)

PeoplesElbow

Well, this tech should mitigate a few things. The "I dont wanna plug in" crowd and the apartment/street parking dilemma.

Park and walk away. Evidently, this method costs more than the wireless charging we are used to but tops over 90% efficiency.

Me, I'm fine plugging in, but while my wife would do it when I'm not around, she would prefer to just park. :)
Didn't you dispute my theory that women don't want to bother plugging their cars in?

Clem72

I would like to see how you could get 90% efficiency through a foot of freespace. We obey the laws of thermodynamics in this household.

(they probably mean they convert 90% at the coils, ignore all the losses in between).

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I would like to see how you could get 90% efficiency through a foot of freespace. We obey the laws of thermodynamics in this household.

(they probably mean they convert 90% at the coils, ignore all the losses in between).
EV are magic.

glhs837

Power with Control
How wide is the cyber truck vs the F-150 lightning? Just saw a lightning for the first time this weekend, could have passed for a regular F-150 except for the Lightning badge. https://www.tomsguide.com/vehicle-t...percharger-station-and-it-didnt-go-as-planned

As far as I know, its within inches (3-4 wider maybe) since the F-150 quadcab shortbed, being the most popular truck they sell, was the benchmark.

You could ask the SAE....

The professional association SAE International (formerly known as the Society of Automotive Engineers) published its standard in 2020 after more than a decade of testing with automakers, wireless charging startups and health agencies.

This process also independently verified that wireless charging can transmit grid power to vehicle batteries at up to 94% efficiency.

glhs837

Power with Control
How hard is it to drop the battery in a Cybertruck?

Turns out not so much. Rear seats mount to the rear wall, not the floor. Front seats and carpet are on top. Pull back carpet, remove six bolts. Remove panel in bed, remove another set of bolts. Unplug the electrical and coolant lines. Support the pack, remove the pack to unibody bottom bolts and drop it.

glhs837

Power with Control

I believe these folks know a bit about thermodynamics....

Clem72

I believe these folks know a bit about thermodynamics....

From your link:
Earlier this month, after parking a Hyundai Kona EV over a new wireless charger design, the scientists and engineers registered a max wireless charging rate of 100 kW across a five-inch air gap at a claimed efficiency of 96%

You'll note I said a foot of freespace (12 inches) in my original comment based on my assumption for the vehicle we were talking about in this thread, the Cybertruck. Now that I check it actually has a clearance of 17.4 inches.

I will admit 96% at 5 inches is better than I expected, but remember your inverse square law still applies even if this is electro-magnetic coupling and not radio wave transmission.

So let's be generous and assume they lost 1% efficiency on each set of coils (and that is likely exceptionally generous), that would mean 2% loss of power at 5 inches. At 10 inches you would have 4 times the loss or 8%, which already puts you at 90% total loss under these laboratory conditions. 12 inches would be closer to 83% total loss. At 17.4 Inches (more than 3 times the measured distance) you would lose more than 16 times as much power, 32% in our example from the article.

So my original claim of 90% at a foot is almost certainly correct, thank you for providing the proof to back it up.

So does that mean this tech is unlikely to work? Not at all, it just means there is likely to be an active component (a platform that raises until it gets within 5 inches of the receive coil for instance) rather than just a flat parking space.