dead pullet - warning, graphic pictures

jedi2814

Warning - graphic - and truthful - response.

Ok I hope there are some farm people out there to help me with this. I came home to find one of my 29 week old pullets dead. She had stuff hanging out of her vent and I took pictures of it.

A friend of mine saw the pictures and thinks the stuff coming out of her is her guts. I have no clue what happened, although this pullet had been pulling feathers out of others and eating them regularly - she went for the down feathers.

Ok - so to get back to the original question....

Those are her guts. Chickens are cannibals and will peck each other to death. They tend to begin by picking out the tail feathers of the target. This often results in bleeding and then the whole gang will attack the bleeding hen. If left unchecked they can open a pretty gaping hole in the back of the hen while she is still living. They will dine on her innards until she dies and afterwards. A pretty gorey scene. I learned the hard way about overcrowding the first time I brooded 100 laying hens. I have plenty of space but waited a little too long before splitting them up. I had 12 dead or dying pullets when I went out to feed one morning. Two of the living I killed right away as they had gaping holes the size of your fist where the vent should be. The others I separated and they lived for various periods of time but were all dead within 24 hrs.

Hens will peck for a variety of reasons - in my case they were overcrowded. It appeared to me they still had plenty of room, but once I split them up the cannibalism stopped. They will peck if their feed is not high enough in protein or they are deficient in calcium or some other mineral which is why I don't use organic feeds - none seem to satisfy what layers need. Sometimes they are bored and sometimes they will turn on a hen that continually pecks to establish herself as the head of the "pecking" order..

In your case she probably got killed for her pecking of others, but if she was pecking and eating the feathers it sounds like she was deficient in protein or calcium. If your other hens seem fine it was probably just a quirk of hers. If the others begin to follow similar behavior you'll need to increase the protein your feed (16% or more is best) and/or the calcium either in the feed or by giving oyster shell. If they are not truly free range (meaning you have about a half acre per 50 birds of grassy field not mud) then you also need to provide some form of "scratch" to keep them busy especially this time of year as bugs, etc. are scarce. Scratch can be the commercially available stuff or simply shelled corn and straw. The key is they have to spend time looking for it.

Hope this helps!!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ok - so to get back to the original question....

Those are her guts. Chickens are cannibals and will peck each other to death. They tend to begin by picking out the tail feathers of the target. This often results in bleeding and then the whole gang will attack the bleeding hen. If left unchecked they can open a pretty gaping hole in the back of the hen while she is still living. They will dine on her innards until she dies and afterwards. A pretty gorey scene. I learned the hard way about overcrowding the first time I brooded 100 laying hens. I have plenty of space but waited a little too long before splitting them up. I had 12 dead or dying pullets when I went out to feed one morning. Two of the living I killed right away as they had gaping holes the size of your fist where the vent should be. The others I separated and they lived for various periods of time but were all dead within 24 hrs.

Hens will peck for a variety of reasons - in my case they were overcrowded. It appeared to me they still had plenty of room, but once I split them up the cannibalism stopped. They will peck if their feed is not high enough in protein or they are deficient in calcium or some other mineral which is why I don't use organic feeds - none seem to satisfy what layers need. Sometimes they are bored and sometimes they will turn on a hen that continually pecks to establish herself as the head of the "pecking" order..

In your case she probably got killed for her pecking of others, but if she was pecking and eating the feathers it sounds like she was deficient in protein or calcium. If your other hens seem fine it was probably just a quirk of hers. If the others begin to follow similar behavior you'll need to increase the protein your feed (16% or more is best) and/or the calcium either in the feed or by giving oyster shell. If they are not truly free range (meaning you have about a half acre per 50 birds of grassy field not mud) then you also need to provide some form of "scratch" to keep them busy especially this time of year as bugs, etc. are scarce. Scratch can be the commercially available stuff or simply shelled corn and straw. The key is they have to spend time looking for it.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks, I agree with you and, I think in part it has to do with the time of year because they have been cooped up so much. The pen is 13x26 and there were usually about 20-25 chickens. I have RARELY had any issues of violence like this.

I found one of my polish hens almost dead prior to that due to just what you said (big hole in vent area) but I was unable to determine which hens participated as none had blood on them. She made it through the night but died the next day. The polish hens are at a disadvantage due to the head feathers and can't see a chicken coming, but until recently this had not been a problem as I would trim the head feathers so they could see better, but after that incident I pulled the other polish hens out of the pen. I am keeping the polish hens separate now.

Currently they do not have a free range area. I feed Dumor Layer, I also give cracked corn in the Winter months and Scratch, and they have a bowl filled with a calcium supplement free choice. They get fine, chopped orchard hay, and I chop up and feed them fresh spring mix greens about 2 times a week. I am working on a new area for them to free range that is about 1/3 of an acre. They will have access to that soon and that should help alleviate the boredom. Oh I use shavings as bedding for the pen area, and I replace it with fresh every 2 months or so. I toss scratch in the bedding so they get scratching time in every day. I also provide items in the pen so they have dark places they can go to get away from others when they want to.

None of the other chickens are picking and eating feathers, and although I've seen feather eating before, I have not seen a chicken go around pulling feathers out of other chickens and eating them like she did. I suspected those were her guts, poor baby.

Roman

My Chickens love Layena. We too, give them grass trim, and veggies from the garden. I also give them left over food from the fridge. Their favorite is Spaghetti Noodles. :killingme

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My Chickens love Layena. We too, give them grass trim, and veggies from the garden. I also give them left over food from the fridge. Their favorite is Spaghetti Noodles. :killingme

I always worry about them having anything too long for fear it will get struck in their crop.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
For someone who does animal rescue, I am surprised a few candid photos would bother you - gee that's yet ANOTHER reason to ignore MY POSTS eh?

Just how many times need you be told before you get it? Your comments are not welcome, nor is your money. If I accept your money I have to accept your posts, and I don't want either in my life. My life, My choice.

I don't rescue dead, mauled chickens.
Rehabbers do rescues, not resurrections!

I dont go posting images of trauma!

If you dont want help, stop asking for it!
Go and Google and research, call Dept of Ag, etc for the answers instead of having others do it for you!
But as long as you ask, and I can answer, I will, wether or not you you want to read it.
I answer because it is about animals, not you.:coffee:

Hank

my war
Katelin said:
I don't rescue dead, mauled chickens.
Rehabbers do rescues, not resurrections!

I dont go posting images of trauma!

If you dont want help, stop asking for it!
Go and Google and research, call Dept of Ag, etc for the answers instead of having others do it for you!
But as long as you ask, and I can answer, I will, wether or not you you want to read it.
I answer because it is about animals, not you.:coffee:

You don't rescue ####.... you collect squirrels :crazy:

idiganthro

If I had to guess I'd say this started as a prolapsed oviduct. Occasionally a hen will lay an egg and part of the duct will slip out of the vent. I have had one with such a severe case that I had to put her down. I agree with the others that cannibalism was probably involved. The poor girl had a prolapse and the others picked at it because it was interesting to them and it ended up killing her. Chickens are notorious for this and that's why it's important to quarantine injured hens to allow them to heal.

Some people have had success with replacing the oviduct and separating the hen until it heals. However, I think they often have the same issue again.

Stinks, but these things happen when we keep animals. Sorry for the loss of your pullet. :(

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If I had to guess I'd say this started as a prolapsed oviduct. Occasionally a hen will lay an egg and part of the duct will slip out of the vent. I have had one with such a severe case that I had to put her down. I agree with the others that cannibalism was probably involved. The poor girl had a prolapse and the others picked at it because it was interesting to them and it ended up killing her. Chickens are notorious for this and that's why it's important to quarantine injured hens to allow them to heal.

Some people have had success with replacing the oviduct and separating the hen until it heals. However, I think they often have the same issue again.

Stinks, but these things happen when we keep animals. Sorry for the loss of your pullet. :(

I did find an egg covered in blood in the laying box near her body. I assume that was hers.

For the most part all of the hens have gotten along rather well over the past 5 years (have many different breeds but all are standard size). I introduce a few new hens to the group each year. It is sad, but from I've been reading, it happens. Chickens sure can be mean.