Dear folks who wish you owned your own home

CrashTest

Yeah, but won't that only be a real gain if you move it to somewhere safe before the crash wipes it all out? It's only a real gain if you can keep it, right?

Investing is work and I'm not saying rent versus own, versus this, versus that. I'm just saying that if someone has $300,000+ of equity sitting in a house, which probably isn't going to appriciate much in the next 5 years due to Kenyanomics, that person should look at creative ways to make that kind of equity work for them. Think like a mogul.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Right now, almost all of my 401k is in the Wilshire 4500 Index Fund which earned 36.6% for the past 52 weeks.

So if I had put $300,000 into last fund last year, I would have gained about $110,000 in that year.

https://www.google.com/#q=wilshire+4500
That's a kick ass fund but who is savvy enough to predict it?

If you or I could sustain 25% on our money, I'd quit my job and live on the interest.

Fact is no one is that savvy. My 401K did produce 26% last year (obviously I have an aggressive growth portfolio). :yahoo: I even made $10K in one day a couple weeks ago but we all know that is not the norm and what goes up, WILL come down. :ohwell:

The market cannot sustain this growth and I'm not willing to risk $300K in today's wacky financial world. :buddies:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I was investing I always wanted the price per share to be low. My goal was to buy as many shares as I could afford. As the price rose those shares cost me more money. Then you sit and wait. Hopefully when I'm ready to cash out, the price will be higher than what I paid.

So unless you are redeeming shares, you haven't 'lost' or 'gained' anything. It's all paper profit or paper loss. About the only thing you can do is say my portfolio is worth ###.

I don't think I'd go to a car dealer and say that I want the price to go up on the car I want to buy.

Grumpy

The recovery will last only as long as the presses at the bureau of engraving keep spitting out devalued dollars. The end is near...

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
There are plenty of people who WANT to own a home and can't for a variety of reasons including they don't have the required 10 to 20% down-payment, or their credit isn't as great as it needs to be (now the standards are much higher than they were in the past), or they put in a contract on a house that didn't appraise for the sales price and the owner wouldn't reduce the sales price to the appraised value and the buyer didn't have the cash to bridge the gap between their financing and the contract price, or some other reason?

This is a great market to buy in, but talk to a few real estate agents and they can tell you many reasons that deals are falling apart.

I talk to a lot of people who want to buy, but a good number of them that tried had issues. One gal is divorced but her EX paid late on joint debts so many times while they were separated that it will be a good 5 more years before she can get a mortgage. People - before you marry - consider that you need to have equal ground - if your credit sucks and his does too - no problem, but if you have good credit? At least get someone with equal credit - otherwise you're BOTH gonna look bad if his is bad and you marry him.

Speaking of getting married .... No one should get married w/o making plans for a possible split. It sounds bad but honestly it could save your butt later from being ruined by hi/hers issues, whether they be bad dental problems (saw over $13k go on that myself), or bad credit, and be careful to not have joint debt unless it is a home. In MD the debt belongs to the person who's name is on it, so you have a few in your name only, and he has a few in his name only. That way when you split up (if you do) there won't be a problem with having to make it equitable with lawyers and all, well except for the house.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
When I was investing I always wanted the price per share to be low. My goal was to buy as many shares as I could afford. As the price rose those shares cost me more money. Then you sit and wait. Hopefully when I'm ready to cash out, the price will be higher than what I paid.

So unless you are redeeming shares, you haven't 'lost' or 'gained' anything. It's all paper profit or paper loss. About the only thing you can do is say my portfolio is worth ###.

I don't think I'd go to a car dealer and say that I want the price to go up on the car I want to buy.

The advice I got about 20-some years ago was to treat my 401k as a LONG term investment - setup a plan and let ER go for years and years .....

I managed to lose over $100k (most was from late 90's to mid 2000's) and I may have a whopping $20k left that is now in very conservative funds to be sure I don't lose that also. I am doomed because $20k is NOT going to become $200k + between now and the next 20 years when I will want to retire. I won't be living well on the SS money I get either (if I get any, if any is left). Maybe I'll win the lottery ... yeah that's it :biggrin:.

I'm the perfect example of why you don't just ignore the statements and let it be a long term thing that will turn around from any losses w/o my help. Had I let it continue, I would have lost it all.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
There are plenty of people who WANT to own a home and can't for a variety of reasons including they don't have the required 10 to 20% down-payment, or their credit isn't as great as it needs to be (now the standards are much higher than they were in the past), or they put in a contract on a house that didn't appraise for the sales price and the owner wouldn't reduce the sales price to the appraised value and the buyer didn't have the cash to bridge the gap between their financing and the contract price, or some other reason?

This is a great market to buy in, but talk to a few real estate agents and they can tell you many reasons that deals are falling apart.

There are plenty of options that do not require 10-20% down. We used USDA and went in 0 down. FHA offers 3.5%, and VA offers similar. We did not try to get the biggest house we could be approved for either. Credit score was not the highest either went in with around a 670.

You are right that there are a lot of reason people may not be able to get one, we went in expecting the worst, but found a good lender.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
There are plenty of options that do not require 10-20% down. We used USDA and went in 0 down. FHA offers 3.5%, and VA offers similar. We did not try to get the biggest house we could be approved for either. Credit score was not the highest either went in with around a 670.

You are right that there are a lot of reason people may not be able to get one, we went in expecting the worst, but found a good lender.

Yup and some people give up after the 1st try because they don't like rejection/failure. If you want something you sometimes have to work hard at it - goodness knows nothing came to me easy in life.

There are some no money down loans for certain areas, some are revitalization efforts, some are for agricultural land that MD wants to remain as farmland/rural. Having a very knowledgeable agent/broker makes all the difference in the world. The ones who have been in the business many years and have kept up on all the changes and really strive to be the best. They know what's out there and can inform you what you have available to you. That's how I found out about various no money down loan programs.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
so I see this ad pop up on the forum:

Rent To Own Homes $355/mo
GoRentToOwn.com
Bad Credit OK, No Down Payment. Instant Access To Rent To Own Homes

Yeah if it could only be so easy for people ..... $355/mo? where? North Dakota?

The best way to buy a home is using the 100% down plan. Yes, it can be done and is done more than we think.

The next best way is not to become house poor. Keep in mind there is no shame in renting either.

The criteria I have for buying are:

1. Determine I will be in the home for five years or more.

2. Be debt-free

3. Have a fully funded emergency fund of 3 - 6 months living expenses.

4. Have at least 20% down to avoid PMI.

5. Take on no more than a 15yr fixed loan where the total PITI+HOA (if applicable) does not exceed 25% of your take-home pay.

6. Be prepared for 1% - 3% of your homes value to be spent yearly on things that break, need gas, need planting, painted.

7. Don't buy as an investment. Buy it because you like it and want to live there. If you make money on it someday great but do not let that be your reason.

8. Don't buy because someone told you to buy. Make your own decisions.

Lastly, I believe if I cannot fathom paying off my house I am living in to much house. As for taxes and insurance I like having paved roads, running water, and transferring risk to the insurance company to cover the bigger things that can go wrong.

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I own mine, again, for the second time - lock stock, and bathrooms, and will remain that way.:yahoo:

C

czygvtwkr

Will the next president be able to blame this on Obama or will it still be Bush's fault?

somdrenter

Sorry, I'm not Patch...
Unfortunately my rate cannot increase. Why you ask? Let me tell you.

I DON'T HAVE A MORTGAGE BECAUSE I OWN THE MUTHER EFFER!!! BWAHAHAHHAHAHAA...
:killingme

Keep on rentin' renter boy.

With a mortgage payment of less than $800 a month, I surely hope you've paid off your mortgage...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

there was a story on WMAL this week, the Obama - you don't have to pay back your school loan ev'a program

- well not really but if you get a fed / community organizer - job, the debt is wiped out after 10 yrs otherwise Private Industry it is 20 yrs

the program Obama said would ONLY cost 2 Billion has tripled to 8 billion and is rising

so you can get 100k or more in student loans, pay on them for 10 yrs and poof gone .. tax payers eat the rest