Debating on suing our doctor

Pyrotech

Les Paul Addict
My wife has bad knees and has had both knees operated on. She also has bipolar disorder, but you'd never know it if you met her. So, shes on meds for that. Well, shes told she needs to get knee shots for the pain, since she has arthritis. Our family doctor sends a referral to a knee doctor. I take my wife for the knee shots, and she passes out. Soooo, our family doctor prescribes Valium to help her cope with the shots. He knows already full well shes taking meds for bipolar, and what each of them is, but we ask anyway "is this safe to take with her other meds?" He says "No problem".
She takes them, we go to get her shots, and 2 days later, shes suicidal. Worst Ive ever seen her. It passes. The following week, I take her again (after she takes her Valium again). 2 days later, same thing. She gets better after being bed ridden this time. We go again the following week, after she has taken Valium again, and I make it a point to ask he knee doctor "You know what shes taking for bipolar, right? Because shes getting more and more unstable every time we come here for shots. He says, should not be a problem..." So we go through with it, and now, shes so bad off, she can barely function. After a few days, shes able to get up again, I tell her I bet all this is due to the Valium, since its the only thing weve done different. My wife gets on the computer and looks it up, and finds out that the Clonzapam shes on is TOXIC when mixed with Valium! WTF? Where do these quacks come from? Then, our family doctor recommends this doctor to handle her psychiatric health and HE wants to take her off her anti-depressant... ?? So now, what started off bad is now getting worse. I am seriously pissed off at this doctor, who has friends who are equally incompetent seeing my wife.

What the hell is wrong with these doctors down here? Cant they read the info patients give them on what meds they are taking? Cant they have the staff look into whether what they are taking is compatible with medicines they prescribe? Rediculous, and downright complacent, in my opinion.

C

CalvertNewbie

My wife has bad knees and has had both knees operated on. She also has bipolar disorder, but you'd never know it if you met her. So, shes on meds for that. Well, shes told she needs to get knee shots for the pain, since she has arthritis. Our family doctor sends a referral to a knee doctor. I take my wife for the knee shots, and she passes out. Soooo, our family doctor prescribes Valium to help her cope with the shots. He knows already full well shes taking meds for bipolar, and what each of them is, but we ask anyway "is this safe to take with her other meds?" He says "No problem".
She takes them, we go to get her shots, and 2 days later, shes suicidal. Worst Ive ever seen her. It passes. The following week, I take her again (after she takes her Valium again). 2 days later, same thing. She gets better after being bed ridden this time. We go again the following week, after she has taken Valium again, and I make it a point to ask he knee doctor "You know what shes taking for bipolar, right? Because shes getting more and more unstable every time we come here for shots. He says, should not be a problem..." So we go through with it, and now, shes so bad off, she can barely function. After a few days, shes able to get up again, I tell her I bet all this is due to the Valium, since its the only thing weve done different. My wife gets on the computer and looks it up, and finds out that the Clonzapam shes on is TOXIC when mixed with Valium! WTF? Where do these quacks come from? Then, our family doctor recommends this doctor to handle her psychiatric health and HE wants to take her off her anti-depressant... ?? So now, what started off bad is now getting worse. I am seriously pissed off at this doctor, who has friends who are equally incompetent seeing my wife.

What the hell is wrong with these doctors down here? Cant they read the info patients give them on what meds they are taking? Cant they have the staff look into whether what they are taking is compatible with medicines they prescribe? Rediculous, and downright complacent, in my opinion.

Wow, I'd be venting too if I went through all this. Wish I had some advice for you but all I can do is wish you luck. Sounds like you've got your hands full and that's it's been a really emotionally draining few weeks. Definitely time to find all new doctors for sure. :huggy:

belvak

Happy Camper
Nothing to add except for another :huggy: for you and your wife! I couldn't imagine going through what you guys are experiencing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And now you all know why I fear and loathe doctors.

Sorry about your situation, Pyro. Good luck!

bohman

Sad to say, it isn't just down here. You have to do all your own homework and doublecheck EVERYTHING that a doctor prescribes or recommends, just about anywhere. It's like you have to go to freakin med school yourself just get by on a daily basis. And they wonder why malpractice lawsuits are so big.

Best of luck to you.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I'd sue.

That is totally unsatisfactory to say the least. Best wishes and hope everything gets resolved with the least amount of pain for your wife & you.

limblips

While I am sympathetic to your situation, the place to go is not here. See a medical malpractice lawyer. They will tell you whether you have a case. The will usually consut for free.

sinwagon

I'm so sorry, there is nothing worse than looking to a doctor for comfort and correct care and getting the exact opposite. There is nothing worse than thinking that someone is more knowledgeable than you to treat you and finding out they just don't care!

I'm sorry and I hope that your wife gets better soon! At the very least, report this to the medical board!

spike2763

Soooo, our family doctor prescribes Valium to help her cope with the shots. He knows already full well shes taking meds for bipolar, and what each of them is, but we ask anyway "is this safe to take with her other meds?" He says "No problem".
She takes them, we go to get her shots, and 2 days later, shes suicidal. Worst Ive ever seen her. .

The pharmacy should have caught this also

chesapeakewndrs

Sad to say, it isn't just down here. You have to do all your own homework and doublecheck EVERYTHING that a doctor prescribes or recommends, just about anywhere. It's like you have to go to freakin med school yourself just get by on a daily basis. And they wonder why malpractice lawsuits are so big.

Best of luck to you.

I'm surprised a pharmacist didn't catch it either. They usually know more about medication mixing than doctors.

purplepassion

Lovin' Life
I'm surprised a pharmacist didn't catch it either. They usually know more about medication mixing than doctors.

I thought the same thing. You see advertising saying to stay with this pharmacy or that one because they care about their patients and will contact their doctor if a perscription will react with another medicine they are on. WTF??? I don't trust the doctor's down here either. It's ridiculous.

JollyRoger

Did

send this sadness to Obama?
He can fix it BTW!

I think there's more to this story, just me?

I would go to a knee expert- The Anderson Clinic in Arlington- the best in the country.

If she is still having pain--somethings still wrong, I had arthritis in my back and they removed it

smilin

BOXER NATION
And now you all know why I fear and loathe doctors.

Sorry about your situation, Pyro. Good luck!

Too true. Guess that's why they call it 'practicing'.
Stories like yours break my heart, I've been there and still can't get my mind around it.
Hope it get's better. Sounds like it can't get any worse..

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
Let me get this right

You took her 3 times even though she was suicidal after the first visit?

You trusted the doctor's opinion on mixing meds with her condition being it what it is without doing your own research?

Just playing devils advocate here but there is a certain amount of personal accountability you should take in your own healthcare. I completely understand trusting the professionals (considering they are a doctor) but after passing out and worrying about the suicidal tendencies from the first visit; I'd have to do due-diligence in research before returning. Or at the very least; get a second opinion from another doctor.

My heart goes out to you and I am genuinely concerned. Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate.