deciding how to finish/protect pine barn siding

highnote

I'm deciding how to finish/protect the rough cut pine siding on my new barn.

Cheapest/easiest is just watersealing it (thompsons??).

I do NOT want to paint. I also do not want to do anything that requires a lot of upkeep.

I considered staining (transparent "tinted" stain), but that much stain is going to be expensive (4x the cost of watersealer, at least). I also used a transparent stain on my deck and was not happy with the results.

I like the look of the old, weathered, dark colored barns. You see a lot of old tobacco barns in the county that look like that- "weathered black" is the best way I can describe the color.

Someone told me you can get them to look like that by applying asphalt sealer to the wood (tar??). Anyone ever heard of this?

I don't want to do something that will damage the wood. I want to lengthen its life span, not shorten it. Protecting is more important than looks (particular color, etc).

Any recommendations?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I like the look of the old, weathered, dark colored barns. You see a lot of old tobacco barns in the county that look like that- "weathered black" is the best way I can describe the color.

Someone told me you can get them to look like that by applying asphalt sealer to the wood (tar??). Anyone ever heard of this?

Creosote
The weathered black look is actually the result of decades of exposure

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
Creosote

Isn't creosote dangerous to horses if they chew the wood??

our new barn had that black weathered look, the rotten boards that we removed are still in a pile behind the barn they are free for the taking and will be available until it gets warm enough for me to have a bonfire party!!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Isn't creosote dangerous to horses if they chew the wood??

Yes.....if enough of it is inhaled or ingested, it can kill.

BTW, I don't know a whole lot about horses. They chew WOOD?
(Not trying to sound sarcastic).....I really don't know.....

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Creosote

4. What safety precautions should one take when handling or coming into contact with creosote?
Creosote penetrates deeply into and remains in the pressure-treated wood for a long time. Exposure to creosote may present certain hazards. Therefore, the following precautions should be taken both when handling the treated wood and in determining where to use the treated wood. It should be noted that such exposure usually only occurs when one comes into contact with railroad ties and/or utility poles.
USE SITE PRECAUTIONS

• Do not use where frequent or prolonged contact with bare skin can occur.
• Do not use in residential settings. In interiors of industrial buildings, it should be used only for industrial building components which are in ground contact and subject to decay or insect infestation and for wood block flooring in industrial settings.
• Do not use in the interiors of farm buildings where there may be direct contact with domestic animals or livestock which may bite or lick the wood.
• Do not use treated wood for cutting-boards or counter tops.
• Do not use where it may come into direct or indirect contact with public drinking water.

HANDLING PRECAUTIONS

• Dispose of treated wood by ordinary trash collection or burial.
• Do not burn wood in open fires or in stoves, fireplaces, or residential boilers because toxic chemicals may be produced as part of the smoke and ashes.
• Avoid frequent or prolonged inhalation of sawdust from treated wood.
• Avoid frequent or prolonged skin contact with creosote-treated wood.
• When handling the wood, wear long-sleeve shirts and long pants and use gloves impervious to the chemicals.
• When power-sawing and machining, wear goggles to protect eyes from flying particles.
• Wash work clothes separately from other household clothing.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
4. What safety precautions should one take when handling or coming into contact with creosote?
Creosote penetrates deeply into and remains in the pressure-treated wood for a long time. Exposure to creosote may present certain hazards. Therefore, the following precautions should be taken both when handling the treated wood and in determining where to use the treated wood. It should be noted that such exposure usually only occurs when one comes into contact with railroad ties and/or utility poles.
USE SITE PRECAUTIONS

• Do not use where frequent or prolonged contact with bare skin can occur.
• Do not use in residential settings. In interiors of industrial buildings, it should be used only for industrial building components which are in ground contact and subject to decay or insect infestation and for wood block flooring in industrial settings.
• Do not use in the interiors of farm buildings where there may be direct contact with domestic animals or livestock which may bite or lick the wood.
• Do not use treated wood for cutting-boards or counter tops.
• Do not use where it may come into direct or indirect contact with public drinking water.

HANDLING PRECAUTIONS

• Dispose of treated wood by ordinary trash collection or burial.
• Do not burn wood in open fires or in stoves, fireplaces, or residential boilers because toxic chemicals may be produced as part of the smoke and ashes.
• Avoid frequent or prolonged inhalation of sawdust from treated wood.
• Avoid frequent or prolonged skin contact with creosote-treated wood.
• When handling the wood, wear long-sleeve shirts and long pants and use gloves impervious to the chemicals.
• When power-sawing and machining, wear goggles to protect eyes from flying particles.
• Wash work clothes separately from other household clothing.

:shrug: doesn't say you can't feed it to horses

mingiz

Horse Poor
:shrug: doesn't say you can't feed it to horses

Don't be so hard to get along with........:popcorn: :killingme

mingiz

Horse Poor
Yeah it's already finished, I was asking for recommendations of waterproofing/weatherproofing treatments, not types of wood to use.

Alot of the farmers use burnt oil on a lot of things I use it on my speader. Helps keep the chains from rusting and keeps the wood from rotting out so fast....

Wait4It..boom

Alot of the farmers use burnt oil on a lot of things I use it on my speader. Helps keep the chains from rusting and keeps the wood from rotting out so fast....

Burnt oil you get from changing out the car? (I'm wondering b/c I might try that on my spreader too. It's old and starting to fall apart. Could use a little something to add to its life.)

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
We once accidentally painted a picnic table with used motor oil.
Once we realized what we were doing we scrubbed the table down with dishwashing detergent to clean the oil off.
It left a beautiful finish :lol:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Burnt oil you get from changing out the car? (I'm wondering b/c I might try that on my spreader too. It's old and starting to fall apart. Could use a little something to add to its life.)

Yeap used motor oil..Back in the day people used burnt oil as a perservative. Some used it to coat thier barns instead of painting. I think EPA put a stop to that..Because of the oil getting into the ground.....So I wouldn't paint a barn with it...if it catches fire there wouldn't be anything left....Be a very hot fire for sure.....

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
We once accidentally painted a picnic table with used motor oil.
Once we realized what we were doing we scrubbed the table down with dishwashing detergent to clean the oil off.
It left a beautiful finish :lol:

That's too funny.....:killingme

Sparks

Barn Stain.

We used a tinted stain. It's been on about 2-3 years now and I'm very pleased with it so far. We did two coats. Looks really nice and you can pick just about any color.

highnote

We used a tinted stain. It's been on about 2-3 years now and I'm very pleased with it so far. We did two coats. Looks really nice and you can pick just about any color.

Sparks, what brand of tinted stain did you use, and where did you get it?

Also, how did you apply (brush, roller, or sprayer)?