Decorating ideas for my kitchen?

R

remaxrealtor

My last house had painted white cabinets, white appliances (although the stove was a black flat top but the face was white) and wine/cranberry colored walls and I thought it was very cute. I like painted cabinets.

You did an adorable job on that kitchen!

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
In my humble opinion, please do not paint your wooden cabinets, they are very nice. Find a color for the walls that compliments the cabinets and floor and will tie everything in. Nice country curtains for the windows will finish the look for you cowgirl. I don't have any curtains in my farmhouse, my choice. I made all the trim and liked it so much I didn't want to hide it. Good luck, can't wait to see the finished look!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My opinion, paint your kitchen any color you like. I painted ours orange, yellow and blue with white trim and love it. I figured I could always paint over it if I didn't like it.

For the back splash area, I discovered by using the accent color there, it really made the difference I wanted. Plus I had that crap paint before like you do. Now I just use a wipe and it's an easy clean.

With that crap paint, don't forget to paint your ceiling. Makes a HUGE difference.

I wouldn't paint your cabinets. Not yet. You may be surprised by once you get some other paint in there how much more you like your cabinets. After I painted, I washed down all the wood cabinets with Murphy's and discovered I actually like them now. I have given some thought though to buying handles and drawer pulls and installing them.

Window - with your window, I saw something that I wanted to do, but my window was too small, but yours would work. Across the whole length, install glass shelf brackets. Place plants, colored glass bottles, or other items in your accent color. Looks really neat, and still allows for light and the window to open. Now with my window being smaller, but in basically the same place, I switched the overhead lightening with a decorative pendant light that matched the accent paint.

I have french doors that swing out and I bought a really funky tapestry fabric to sew up a running swag across. I used a complimentary fabric and staple gun and recovered the kitchen chairs. The remanants I'm going to turn into napkins and placemats.

Oh, and your kitchen seems about the size of mine, do it in sections. I got a tad bit overwhelmed halfway through and almost quit. :lol:

J

jp2854

Are maple cabinets expensive? Because if so, they're probably not maple. I think the guy who re-did the house didn't pick expensive things for it...like the flat paint and bare bones appliances.

I just think painted cabinets would really brighten the room.

cowgirl there is a long drawn out process to paint the cupboards did you know that? You can't just slap paint on them. My mom and stepdad were going to do that in there kitchen but then said nope and got new light colored cabinets put in instead as they were going to redo there kitchen as all they had was 8 cabinets and that wasn't enough for them. Now the kitchen has a ton of cabinets and spots that we can hide stuff without it being seen. Maybe next time I go to my moms I will take a picture with my cell and let you see what she did in her kitchen (she painted hers a dark blue).

Vince

And would it be totally stupid of me to paint the cabinets?
:cds: Why in the world would you put paint over that beautiful wood. :banghead:

I want to gut my entire kitchen. Make all new cabinets and get all new stainless steel appliances, but I just haven't figured out what the new kitchen will look like. The kitchen is like 20 years old and needs a remodel.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

cowgirl there is a long drawn out process to paint the cupboards did you know that? You can't just slap paint on them.

I know. I re-did the cabinets in my last place, but those were not as nice as these.

I'm still undecided.

Cowgirl

Look at this kitchen! The fridge is awesome, but I don't know if I'd want an aqua fridge. :lol:

Attachments

• AquaKitchenF.jpg
    AquaKitchenF.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 77

SoMDGirl42

I love the look of wood cabinets. I have oak cabinets and the paint was a peachy color. I decided to paint it granny apple smith green :shocked: I couldn't believe how much the cabinets "popped" once I redid the paint.

Go bright!

J

jp2854

the picture shows the back wall where backsplash is being tiled with small multicolored blue tiles. You could put up big white tiles and mix some blue designer tiles in there behind the stove and mix a few more in throughout. Or you can spongepaint your kitchen aqua be the background white sponging into it throughout the kitchen.

Do you like either of these ideas?