Deep fryers

SamSpade

Every Thanksgiving - I get out the deep fryer. We've had fried turkey for Thanksgiving every year now, for almost ten years.

And only within the last couple years, did I feel like - I got it right. For one thing, at least two of those years, I did it the "dangerous way" - over propane.
Mostly it's been with electric fryers.

And I learned - from people on HERE - that you can only get SO MUCH JUICE out of the wall with an electric. It is just very hard to get really, really hot oil when heated with electricity. My solution was - which worked - a bigger gauge and shorte cable to an outlet, thus losing as little power as possible.

I worked as a fry cook for a few years a long time ago. I don't recall if we used gas, but I suspect we didn't -

How did we get enough power? Well, I imagine it's the heavy duty nature of how it was set up.

Now -

I love me some fried foods, but I'm thinking much different scale. Usually we air fry, but are there deep fryers you use, for chicken or onion rings?
My problem with air fryers is, they don't do great with anything with - batter. Dip your chicken or rings in batter, and you have one hell of a mess, and the possibility of something not FRYING very well. When I was a fry cook, it was so idiot-proof that an idiot like me was unable to screw it up - perfect, every time.

Does anyone use a small scale deep fryer - or just use lots of oil in a deep frying pan?
Or even - pressure cooking?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
or just use lots of oil in a deep frying pan?
^that.
I have a very small electric deep fryer, holds about 4 wing pieces. Rarely use it. If I want to deep fry, I use a regular pot with oil and use the aux burner on the gas grill outside. I hate oil splatter in the kitchen.

After I'm done, I save the oil and put it in the fridge for 2 more uses (depending on what I'm frying).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I never deep fry, I leave it to the professionals. If I want fried chicken, I go to the gas station and get it. If I want french fries, I go to France. Deep frying is messy and wastes a ton of oil.

SamSpade

I go to the gas station and get it.
Ugh - that phrase alone almost made me throw up in my mouth - of course, my idea is bland fried chicken under the heater all day - or 7 Eleven chicken that gives me the runs, and I only buy it when I actually AM constipated.

I do remember one thing - the chicken I cooked in that restaurant was on par with the best you've ever had. The PROCESS ensured it - long times marinating in the walk-in cooler, breaded and left to soak in the breading, deep fried fast so that it was nearly done in thirty seconds - only KFC and Popeye's come better, and I mean it.

Every piece I do in a fry pan comes out greasy and yuck. No crisp at all.

And - I suspect - it's because a stovetop just can't get the heat high enough.

DJ, aren't you like an expert on Instant Pot?

Clem72

I never deep fry, I leave it to the professionals. If I want fried chicken, I go to the gas station and get it. If I want french fries, I go to France. Deep frying is messy and wastes a ton of oil.
I hate dealing with oil in the kitchen, almost to the point that I don't make bacon very often.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ugh - that phrase alone almost made me throw up in my mouth - of course, my idea is bland fried chicken under the heater all day - or 7 Eleven chicken that gives me the runs, and I only buy it when I actually AM constipated.

The gas station fried chicken I've had all over the country rivals KFC and Popeyes. Royal Farms is gas station chicken.

luvmygdaughters

We bought a Fry Baby years ago to use specifically for egg rolls and onion rings, occasionally french fries. Used it maybe 1/2 dozen times. It was easier to use my cast iron frying pan after a while. The fryer used quite a bit of oil and I didnt save the oil, dumped it after each use. With cast iron, I can use less oil and everything comes out great. Cooked my steak and eggs in it last night. What I'd really like to get is a cast iron dutch oven!!

gemma_rae

I have one of these at home.
1725025284050.png

I only use it for french fries because I use Planters Peanut oil, and it costs about $30
to change the oil. By only cooking french fries, I don't have to change the oil frequently
and it stays nice and clear.

Cast Iron skillet for chicken and fish and cheap canola oil.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My daughter bought me a Fry Daddy years ago that cooks 6-8 perch filets at a time and is perfect for 2 helpings of shoestring fries from frozen. I've experimented with a Bayou Classic propane fish fryer and that works great for larger gatherings. Plus with a turkey frying pot my nephew gave me, it doubles as a crab steamer. :yay:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For our consideration ...

I have one of these at home.
View attachment 179216
I only use it for french fries because I use Planters Peanut oil, and it costs about $30
to change the oil. By only cooking french fries, I don't have to change the oil frequently
and it stays nice and clear.

Cast Iron skillet for chicken and fish and cheap canola oil.

As an experiment, get some lard or tallow and cook those fries, after trying and tasting them, report back, please. And when the lard or tallow cools, it'll be a solid solid again that can be put in the fridge and used later multiple times.

Since canola oil is a seed oil and causes serious inflammation to one's body, with lard or tallow, you'll be eating better and healing your body of prior inflammations at the same time. A win-win.