Defrag stuck in reverse

itsbob

I bowl overhand
FastCarsSpeed said:
Why the hell are you defragging to begin with? Your running win 2k and you should have a pretty huge hard drive there really is no reason to be running the program. If your computer is running slow delete your temporary internet files and cookies and it will usually pick up some speed.
Yeah that's what the window gurus said when they came out with NT.. a lot of people made good money selling aftermarket defragging programs..

And you are assuming she has a HUGE harddrive.. I'm betting 20 gig tops.. and defragging helps in the latency speed in your harddrive.. If you wanted to put together a jigsaw puzzle, would you want all the pieces in generally the same place, boxtop, or would you rather have pieces spread out room to room in a 4 story building??

Warron

I had this problem back when I had window's ME. The way I got around it was to go to the RUN bar under start, and type msconfig, then go to the startup tab, uncheck everything, restart, then run the defrag. When the defrag is done, go back into msconfig and check everything, and restart again.

Running it in safe mode would never work, because norton utilities requires some driver to be installed to run.

I've never had that problem with windows xp though.

Also, why wouldn't you defrag? Defrag'ing is about reorganizing the data so it can be accessed faster. Saving hard drive space is a far distant second, as least for me.