Democratic congressman hits Super Bowl fans for not standing for 'Negro National Anthem'

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
'Very very few stood for ‘Lift Every Voice and Sing... Not a pretty picture of Super Bowl crowd,' Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen wrote on X

A Democratic congressman raised some eyebrows online Sunday when he took a shot at the Super Bowl crowd in Las Vegas, saying very few fans stood for the singing of "Lift Every Voice and Sing," calling it "not a very pretty picture."

Known colloquially as the "Black National Anthem," Grammy winner Andra Day performed the song as part of the pre-game festivities for Super Bowl LVIII between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers.

"Very very few stood for ‘Lift Every Voice and Sing,’" Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn. wrote on X. "The Negro National Anthem. Not a pretty picture of Super Bowl crowd." Cohen represents a majority-Black district in western Tennessee.

In addition to Day, Reba McEntire sang the country's national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner," and Post Malone performed "America the Beautiful" before the Super Bowl. Usher performed the halftime show that included a slew of superstar cameos.

It's not the National Anthem so I wouldn't stand either.

It's just another song.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've been to NASCAR races where they play the service songs for all five branches of the military. Every Vet stands when their branch's song is played. Vets don't normally stand for the other branches' songs.

For the folks that attend Caps' games, do you stand for the Canadian national anthem?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
I've been to NASCAR races where they play the service songs for all five branches of the military. Every Vet stands when their branch's song is played. Vets don't normally stand for the other branches' songs.

For the folks that attend Caps' games, do you stand for the Canadian national anthem?
Only to go get beer.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Only drank Labatts one time, and that was while I was stuck in Quebec in 98. Pass.

I'll stick with a Yeungling instead.

Or a decent Marzen, Bock or Doppelbock if I can get one.

Tech

Trying to remember going to games with Canadian teams. May have stood out of general respect but the song they're talking about is not a national anthem.

Hijinx

Why would a white man stand for a black National Anthem?
I don't ask that as being racist I ask it to be informed.

The fact that it is called a BLACK National anthem is racist. It makes the Statement that black people do not accept the NATIONAL anthem.
It is one country, there is no Chinese Anthem or Indian Anthem or Japanese Anthem, or even a Jewish Anthem.

I stand for an America that is United, This is the United State, not the Negro states or the African states.
If Negro's do not want to belong to the United States they should go somewhere that they feel at home and not expect me to kiss their asses by standing for their Anthem .