Denny's Rest. Owner to Add Obamacare Surcharge

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
sorry .......

...... around here, that would mean getting one of those gov jobs D i p s h i t was talking about

the company O work for does not pay that much ..... for IT Managers

We have plenty of private sector jobs here in Virginia thanks to O'Malley driving everyone out of Maryland. :yahoo:

Bavarian

By adding the Obamacae surcharge instead of increasing menu prices, people will see where the money goes. No different then fuel surcharges on airlines, ships, delivery services, etc.

ylexot

Super Genius
I saw a good suggestion on Red Eye (forget who suggested it) that businesses should start putting up signs/posters detailing where the money goes similar to the nutrition data for food. It could be fairly simple like here's how much out of every dollar goes to wages, product cost, operating cost, regulatory compliance, taxes, and profit. I think people would be interested to see that taxes far outweigh profit.

DipStick

I saw a good suggestion on Red Eye (forget who suggested it) that businesses should start putting up signs/posters detailing where the money goes similar to the nutrition data for food. It could be fairly simple like here's how much out of every dollar goes to wages, product cost, operating cost, regulatory compliance, taxes, and profit. I think people would be interested to see that taxes far outweigh profit.

The thing is, people are stupid. If they saw that, the very first thing they'd say is that employee wages should be cut to make their product cheaper.

Just look at RP/ETC/GURPS saying he's opposed to paying an extra like 50 cents to pay for employee healthcare for Denny's employees. Sadly, this is an extremely common attitude for Americans.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The thing is, people are stupid. If they saw that, the very first thing they'd say is that employee wages should be cut to make their product cheaper.

Just look at RP/ETC/GURPS saying he's opposed to paying an extra like 50 cents to pay for employee healthcare for Denny's employees. Sadly, this is an extremely common attitude for Americans.

Wait...what? I wish I could afford to provide health insurance for my employees too..but that had to stop in 2005; simply could not afford it any longer. And we are not in the restaurant business. What are we doing wrong? Who is going to "give" my company the money to pay for employee health insurance?..or who should?

DipStick

Wait...what? I wish I could afford to provide health insurance for my employees too..but that had to stop in 2005; simply could not afford it any longer. And we are not in the restaurant business. What are we doing wrong? Who is going to "give" my company the money to pay for employee health insurance?..or who should?

I don't know what your business is. :shrug:

I'm simply saying, Americans are selfish and want the cheapest products. They might say they want higher wages for Americans, but they don't want to pay the extra money for their breakfast. Same people who go to a restaurant and pull out their smartphone to calculate an exact 15% tip because they don't want to give the waitress too much. :smack:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

:

Why does it matter? Answer: It doesn't. That is the point..how is ANY business that could not afford to provide health care before Obamacare going to suddenly up and find ways to afford it now?

I'm trying to help you recover from your severe case of myopia here; this is not just about Denny's..its about every business.

bcp

In My Opinion

I'm simply saying, Americans are selfish and want the cheapest products. They might say they want higher wages for Americans, but they don't want to pay the extra money for their breakfast. Same people who go to a restaurant and pull out their smartphone to calculate an exact 15% tip because they don't want to give the waitress too much. :smack:

anyone that needs a smart phone to calculate 15% shouldnt be trying to order from something as complex as a menu in the first place.
Just saying.

jetmonkey

That is why I cancelled my land line. I had the cheapest possible plan, and I was paying more in fees and taxes than I was for the service. At that point, I am basically paying other people's phone bill. #### YOU.

DipStick

anyone that needs a smart phone to calculate 15% shouldnt be trying to order from something as complex as a menu in the first place.
Just saying.

LOL. They don't teach math in public schools anymore -- they just hand kids a calculator.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
So, Denny's can't afford to provide health insurance for many of those $3/hour employees?

Yes, because Denny's is a making tons per diner and only pays $3/hr employees - no food cost, land/rent cost, utilities, kitchen staff, management, dishwashing staff, maintenance costs, taxes, licensing fees, supply costs (cleaners, etc...), or anything else.

You should really open a business because it is that easy!

Moron.