Dilema

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: This thread is kill'n me...

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
:cheers: I've seen some people kid(s) (who have posted on this thread) act up. :really: I won't give out names, though! :wink:

Not me! But I'm sure at some point you'll get to see mine act up, LOL!

SxyPrincess

Re: Re: Re: This thread is kill'n me...

Originally posted by laureng
Not me! But I'm sure at some point you'll get to see mine act up, LOL!

Nope, never seen Mac before, but I'm sure she doesn't run free like a wild animal either.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Re: Re: This thread is kill'n me...

Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Nope, never seen Mac before, but I'm sure she doesn't run free like a wild animal either.

Heck no! And, if she did, you'd get to see me lay down the law!
sauer004.gif

yakky doodle

Where's Catt (I think) with her signature: "Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer"

Be honest; tell her how it is, and what the perception is by others who see her rugrat's behavior. Sometimes, people get so caught up in parenting that they forget how. :ohwell:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by yakky doodle
Where's Catt (I think) with her signature: "Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer"

Ain't me baby, and I ain't touching this one......

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Trying another tack, maybe?

Originally posted by jeneisen
Yeah but I really don't want to lose a friend here and she asks me advice all the time and once when I gave it to her she said, " well you'll change when you have kids" so I just shut up after that. I believe don't ask for advice if you don't really want to hear it.

:cool: Jeneisen, if she's still your friend, you could say she was probably reaching out to you for your opinion. What if you tried to turn it around in this manner: since she's asked you if she's a good Mom and is her kid a brat, how about getting her to explain what she means? "Well, why would you ask that question?" Is there/are there areas that have you concerned?"
Get HER to talk about things that are bothering her, since they already are. Sometimes listening to yourself helps out, too.

penn

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Huh?

Originally posted by Kain99
Whoa.... Did you just give great advice penn? :confused:

:smile: I don't know. You tell me. It was something I was thinking as I was reading. The idea it seemed was to let HER tell her side , 'cause something's bothering her, or she wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

:cheers: penn

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by jeneisen
So, should I just keep my thoughts to myself until I have kids, or when asked should I be honest? Would you moms really take advice from someone who doesn't have children?

She asked you a loaded question!

If you want to keep your friend, just tell her that you're not qualified to answer that since you don't have children of your own, and you don't have experience in the same situations she has to deal with on a daily basis.

If she really wants your help, as a friend, then you should encourage her to ask specific questions, and discuss how you would handle something differently, and why she handled it in a specific way. Then, you learn, and she will gain insight into your perspective, and learn too.

I agree with what everyone said about not asking the question if you can't take the answer. But I also think that friends should be able to ask eachother dumb questions without risking a curb job.

She's your friend. Cut her some slack, and turn her dumb question into something beneficial to both of you.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Parents - ya gotta love them. Why do people find it so hard to get respectful behavior out of their kids? :confused:

Put it to the mother like this: rather than focus on how this kid's behavior is impacting the adults, focus on how it impacts the kid to be able to act like that. Children need rules in order for them to grow into healthy, productive adults. When they're grownups, they need to have discipline and self-control to be able to be successful in society and the work place. If they don't learn these things when they're young, it makes it a lot harder to practice them as an adult.

But good luck to you - most people who have unmanageable brats running around are people who AREN'T going to discipline them. Typically they're people of low self-esteem who can't get other adults to respect them, let alone a child. She's probably one of these passive types who hates conflict and only wants to please others. Am I right?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Damned Straight Vrai......

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Parents - ya gotta love them. Why do people find it so hard to get respectful behavior out of their kids? :confused:

But good luck to you - most people who have unmanageable brats running around are people who AREN'T going to discipline them. Typically they're people of low self-esteem who can't get other adults to respect them, let alone a child. She's probably one of these passive types who hates conflict and only wants to please others. Am I right?

:cool: We talked about this in a thread, maybe three months ago: "Teen Fashions". It seems many parents are adopting this attitude of avoiding conflict with their kids and concentrating on being "friends" with them.
That only works to a point. It doesn't leave much room for discipline. What these parents forget, or never picked up on , is that kids are actually seeking discipline. They need to know where the boundaries are. If they don't get that, they start to lose respect for you.

:wink: penn

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not only that, Penn, but kids are little ships looking for a beacon to guide them. They need a LEADER. And if they don't get leadership at home, they'll seek it out in places where parents would probably prefer they don't.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
A Leader, A Beacon for my Guide

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Not only that, Penn, but kids are little ships looking for a beacon to guide them. They need a LEADER. And if they don't get leadership at home, they'll seek it out in places where parents would probably prefer they don't.

:cool: And THAT ladies and gentlemen is why I support George W Bush as President of my country!! Why, he's the best thing that ever happened to us since sliced bread!!
I wonder if Maynard and Dems are lurking in the shadows somewhere??:banana: :banana:
A vote for Bush is a vote for parenthood!! America needs you boy!!

:cheers: penn

Christy

b*tch rocket
NEVER EVER tell a friend that they are a bad parent, especially if you have no monster's of your own! I had a friend (with no kids) offer up advice to me ONCE on how I could be a better mother! :barf:

If she asked you, then she already knows her kid is a demon and that she's not the best parent in the world, she's looking for some kind words probably. Something to make her feel a little less crappy about herself and how her kid acts.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Christy
I had a friend (with no kids) offer up advice to me ONCE

Hmmm, our demons seem to of gotten along pretty good. :lol:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I don't understand what's so tough...

For example, my parents always beat me with barbed wire and gave me ice water enemas.
They frequently told me that I'm stupid and worthless, and you see how well-adjusted I am!
:biggrin:

J

justhangn

Re: I don't understand what's so tough...

Originally posted by bknarw
For example, my parents always beat me with barbed wire and gave me ice water enemas.
They frequently told me that I'm stupid and worthless, and you see how well-adjusted I am!

TRUE STORY

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Re: I don't understand what's so tough...

Originally posted by bknarw

This is only bad if you desire that treatment into adulthood. :biggrin: It's OK - Just don't tell people!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Re: Re: I don't understand what's so tough...

Originally posted by Oz
This is only bad if you desire that treatment into adulthood. :biggrin: It's OK - Just don't tell people!

Okay...it'lll just be our little secret here on the forums...