DIY Travel Reservations can be a PIA!

TPD

the poor dad
Spent the last 2 days trying to book air travel on JetBlue. Got a JB FF# so log on to their website yesterday. Been watching certain flights for last 2 weeks for price fluctuations - yesterday was one of the lower days. Go through the motions of booking - names, address, email address, emergency contact, TSA#, seat picking, etc. Get to the payment screen - decline insurance and rental car, enter CC#, exp date, zip code, etc - hit SUBMIT. Comes back - "Oops! Errors! Correct Below!". I look over the page but nothing highlighted in red indicating a problem.

OK, I can do this - I don't need my teenager's help to book a flight. Besides I am still sober (unlike last time when I couldn't get it right and my daughter had to book the flight for me). So I re-enter the CC# thinking the auto-fill thing did something wonky. Nope - still an OOPSIE. Ok different CC since this one has my business address. Nope - still OOPSIE. Ok - unclick travel insurance. OOPS! Clear all cookies and rebook again. OOPS! Try Windows web browser instead of Safari. Sorry - still OOPS! After more than an our, I throw in the towel and surrender. But my daughter is no where near to do this for me.

Ok, today is a new day - 24 hours later. Log on to JetBlue - pick my flight, start the booking process again. SOB FML - flights are $20 more expensive today. Screw it - I've already spent too much time with this - just gotta get it done regardless what it costs. Payment screen, CC#, etc - "Oops! There seems to be some errors below. Please correct them." Nothing in red. Same routine as yesterday - clear cookies, different CC. Still OOPS. Ah yes - the JB App is on my phone! Everyone uses the app these days so should be a simple process. Open the app and wouldn't you know - needs updating! Do the update, go through the process of booking the flights (surprisingly, the seats I am trying to book are available each time so I know none of my attempts have been successful), but this time I get a timeout error before I even get to the payment screen. Crap - they've probably flagged my account for suspicious activity for booking 14 different seats on the same flight. 2 people don't need 14 seats. Unless you are a sumo wrestler.

I can do this - I know I can. I have to - my daughter is at work today. So I notice that little chat box keeps popping up on the website of JB. I never use the chat box- just ducking annoying to me the way it keeps popping up - but I have heard people that do it all the time and like it. So back to the website - click on the chat box - "Oops - sorry we are not available right now - try again later". Ok time to call my travel agent which I should have done yesterday - would have been worth the $20 booking fee she charges - 10 minutes and it would have been complete. But before I do that - one more go with the chat - finally get a message through explaining my problem. Takes 4 minutes to get a response. The response is "I will pass your concern to our IT department. In the meantime call 1-800-JetBlue to book your flight - we will waive the booking fee today."

I call the 800# - 25 minute wait!!!

I wait 25 minutes for a nice woman to come on the line. Tell her my issues and that the booking fee is supposed to be waived. She agrees. We go through the booking process - I have my flight numbers and seat numbers (still available) memorized along with my TSA#. Give her my CC#. All is good. But at some point in the conversation she does say that the problem with booking is on their end - an issue they are trying to resolve. Thank goodness it wasn't me! But still frustrating - why couldn't the message on the website be something to that effect rather than leading me to believe it was something I was doing wrong!

So after more than 3 hours of actual trying, my wife and I will finally be flying off into the sunset! I despise technology on days like this!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good grief.

I've run into crap like that with various e-tailers in the past, where their website is jacked up but they don't bother to let you know until after you go through the whole schmeel of checking out and putting in shipping and billing information, then instead of a confirmation screen they decide that is the time to tell you they're experiencing a malfunction. Amazon will sometimes go crazy during peak periods - Christmas season, for example - and set all the individual shipping addresses that I so painstakingly entered to default.

Where ya goin'?

TPD

the poor dad
Where ya goin'?

But also working on an Alaskan cruise now for friends and family next summer. That will take a bit more planning AND I will use a travel agent. Last group I led to Alaska was about 60 people, but don't expect it to be that many this go round.

TPD

the poor dad
OMG I am so stupid And don’t learn from my mistakes!!! Tried booking flights on JetBlue just now and have almost the exact same problem as 3 years ago. After trying 2 different credit cards to pay for my flights and getting an error message each time, I give up! I will either call a travel agent tomorrow or choose a different airline. JetBlue doesn’t like me!!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
OMG I am so stupid And don’t learn from my mistakes!!! Tried booking flights on JetBlue just now and have almost the exact same problem as 3 years ago. After trying 2 different credit cards to pay for my flights and getting an error message each time, I give up! I will either call a travel agent tomorrow or choose a different airline. JetBlue doesn’t like me!!
Looked back at your original post. I had the exact same issue a year ago, and it drove me nutz. I finally gave up and downloaded the app for my phone from the airline (American) and it became so simple with so many added benefits, like flight update status and 1st class upgrade options for cheap.

Reactions: TPD

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
After trying 2 different credit cards to pay for my flights and getting an error message each time, I give up!

How are you trying to book, I always used Expedia when I worked for Corp America

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Did you take your shoes off last time?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just a thought, but when I have an issue making payments online I have found disabling ad-blocking allows for completion of the transaction.

TPD

the poor dad
Update - I wake up this morning to see an email from JetBlue sent to me at 3am with confirmation of my flight purchase. I swear the message last night was a denial of any flight purchase - 3 TIMES! My daughter was sitting beside me to witness it. So if I get 2 more confirmations today, I will be selling some JetBlue seats cheap - I only need one! But you will have to sit beside me with my purty feet...

TPD, I am finding many industries have not upgraded their website technology to work with the newer browsers such as Edge and the updated security of standards such as Chrome. I recently tried to use the Marriott Bonvoy account using my newer computer and after calling their help desk found out their websites still only work best with Explorer or Safari if one has an IPhone. I used Safari and had zero issue.

Reactions: TPD

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Update - I wake up this morning to see an email from JetBlue sent to me at 3am with confirmation of my flight purchase. I swear the message last night was a denial of any flight purchase - 3 TIMES! My daughter was sitting beside me to witness it. So if I get 2 more confirmations today, I will be selling some JetBlue seats cheap - I only need one! But you will have to sit beside me with my purty feet...
There's usually a window to cancel reservations.