DIY Travel Reservations can be a PIA!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Okay, now I know you are a liar. There is no such thing.
:lol:
I was coming from Arkansas to DC, had a cattle car seat. Got a message in the app that a 1st class upgrade was available, so I checked it out. $80 for an upgrade, 2 free checked bags. I had to pay $40 for my one bag in coach, so deduct the $40 I would have had to pay anyway, and the upgrade was $40. Not to mention personalized service, free drinks, and there was only one other 1st class traveler. Nice being addressed by name by the attendants.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I was coming from Arkansas to DC, had a cattle car seat. Got a message in the app that a 1st class upgrade was available, so I checked it out. $80 for an upgrade, 2 free checked bags. I had to pay $40 for my one bag in coach, so deduct the $40 I would have had to pay anyway, and the upgrade was $40. Not to mention personalized service, free drinks, and there was only one other 1st class traveler. Nice being addressed by name by the attendants.
As you know, American has monitors in the gate areas in many airports. Two things they display are the waiting lists for upgrades and standby. I have noticed that the upgrade wait list is usually twice as long as the standby list.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
As you know, American has monitors in the gate areas in many airports. Two things they display are the waiting lists for upgrades and standby. I have noticed that the upgrade wait list is usually twice as long as the standby list.
They sell off the open 1st class seats a little more cheaply than if you book 1st class to start with. Good option if you can get it.

This particular American flight is the only non-stop between NWA and Regan. The Monday morning flight from NWA is almost always booked with businesspersons and politicians, and same with the Thursday/Friday evening return trips. 1st class usually not available, but the rest of the week is pretty open. I flew on Sunday morning, so the plane was empty.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They are always respectful towards me..calling me "Sir.....".

That's usually followed immediately by "........we're going to have to cut you off from ordering any more drinks".