DNR Police doesn't enforce the law that they admit is illegal.

3CATSAILOR

No doubt our St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office and Maryland State Police is the best. They do outstanding work with the limited manpower they have. Our DNR Police is supposed to enforce our wildlife laws. I think most of them are pretty good as well. But, one of them, I find to be a little "shady".

I woke up at the crack of dawn by gun fire one morning. It souded like the Duck hunters were using an AK 47. I went down to where I heard the shots coming from. The homeowner closest to the shots was already up and out of bed. The hunters were in a camoflaged boat very close to shore at a neigbhor's house. The hunters left a trail of shells from their boat all the way across the Creek and to the shore based on the wind direction blowing the shells. I called the DNR police. They sent out an officer.

The first thing he did was bring out his lap top and said that the State improperly issued a permit for a Duck hunter very close to a house in a Creek. The officer said it was a violation of the law to hunt close to a house. He also said it was a violation of the law to not pick up his shells. They are shell casings of plastic and metal. The DNR officer said he was a hunter himself. Thereby, it appeared he had sympathy for the hunters for some reason. For some reason he did NOT tell the hunters to pick up their shells, although he admitted the hunters violated the law. I wonder how many other DNR police officers are hunters? I think the vast majority of the DNR police officers are excellent officers. However, the one I talked to did not seem interested in enforcing any laws. Instead, he told the guy that owned the house close to where the hunters are to purchase a duck blind permit so the hunters would not hunt near his properly. Well, if it was illegal to hunt close to his house in the first place, why would he need a duck blind permit? The homeowner did purchase the permit. The homeowner was left with no choice. Either purchase the permit or the hunters at 5AM will come back. Is this a form of extortion? No. This is because the State admits that they made a mistake on their computer by issuing an illegal permit. It was just an accident. There was no ill intent. But, I still cannot figure out why the DNR officer would tell the homeonwer to purchase a duck blind permit if the location was too close to his house? Why not have the State just fix the initial problem that created the issue in the first place? Perhaps at some point they will. Currently we have very few ducks left of any kind. Over hunting appears to be a significant issue at least for here. One thing of note what the DNR officer said. The hunters were NOT from the County. They were from a different County. Therefore, they can get their bag limit from one County then go to a creek in another County. The hunter assumes if DNR is called, it would be a different officer for a different County. Perhaps a risky assumption.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You're talking about riparian blinds. If the home/property owner does not exercise his right to that blind it goes into the pool later and any licensed hunter can claim it.

The blind must be at least 150 yards from the nearest dwelling (a note: that distance doesn't look like it on the water) unless the dwelling owner gives written permission.

The shells in the water are more problematic, I've never seen anything other than a recommendation to "attempt" to retrieve the spent shells.

Another note: just like any law enforcement officer, many don't know the laws, don't interpret them correctly (went to Court one time on a hunting case with that last one) or even make them up so the complainer will shut up and go away.

There is no "shortage" of ducks (the population of geese has been down the last several years but has rebounded) but the simple fact that not as many waterfowl are coming down this far the last several years due to the mild winters, they're staying further north. In fact most major species of ducks are at or above their long term average numbers.

Also, don't discount development patterns changing some migration routes and roosting areas.

Last edited:

3CATSAILOR

You're talking about riparian blinds. If the home/property owner does not exercise his right to that blind it goes into the pool later and any licensed hunter can claim it.

The blind must be at least 150 yards from the nearest dwelling (a note: that distance doesn't look like it on the water) unless the dwelling owner gives written permission.

The shells in the water are more problematic, I've never seen anything other than a recommendation to "attempt" to retrieve the spent shells.

Another note: just like any law enforcement officer, many don't know the laws, don't interpret them correctly (went to Court one time on a hunting case with that last one) or even make them up so the complainer will shut up and go away.

There is no "shortage" of ducks (the population of geese has been down the last several years but has rebounded) but the simple fact that not as many waterfowl are coming down this far the last several years due to the mild winters, they're staying further north. In fact most major species of ducks are at or above their long term average numbers.

Also, don't discount development patterns changing some migration routes and roosting areas.
Great to know. Thanks!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, if it was illegal to hunt close to his house in the first place, why would he need a duck blind permit?
Because the property owner can exempt themselves from that distance restriction. My offshore blind is about 370' from my closest building and my onshore blinds are about 200' away.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Because the property owner can exempt themselves from that distance restriction. My offshore blind is about 370' from my closest building and my onshore blinds are about 200' away.
The onshore blind we have is about 120 feet from the owner's house. He pulls the site permit and assigns it to us.

3CATSAILOR

Also, b) A person may hunt wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored at a licensed offshore stationary blind or blind site. (c) A person hunting wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored shall remain 250 yards from all offshore stationary blinds or blind sites or another person hunting wild waterfowl offshore.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Also, b) A person may hunt wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored at a licensed offshore stationary blind or blind site. (c) A person hunting wild waterfowl from a boat that is anchored shall remain 250 yards from all offshore stationary blinds or blind sites or another person hunting wild waterfowl offshore.
Ok, yes. That 250 yards is for between hunters not distance from shore/dwelling, which is 150 yards. As Gilligan mentioned the property owner/ blind site licensee can also waive that.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Shame there aren't that many ducks around anymore. All I ever see around the island are the little dippers.
Mallard numbers are down in this flyway only, but up in the others. No one can explain it. Canvasback numbers are up but they're staying further north, the guys in the Susquehanna Flats are seeing big numbers. Pintails were down but have been going up the last few years.

Bluebill numbers, both types, have been down for a decade or more in all the flyways. Disease has played a part. Goldeneyes and ringnecks are steady or up.

It's not a real surprise ducks are hard to find. We've armored the shoreline which wiped out the SAVs many of them feed on. We've filled in the marshes where they roost and loaf or build right to the edge of them with the resulting pollution running off the manicured lawns. Farming practices have changed again and there's not as much waste grain on the ground.

The same thing is true for quail, farming practices changed and they have no cover so foxes, and now coyotes, can get to them.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Mallard numbers are down in this flyway only, but up in the others. No one can explain it. Canvasback numbers are up but they're staying further north, the guys in the Susquehanna Flats are seeing big numbers. Pintails were down but have been going up the last few years.

Bluebill numbers, both types, have been down for a decade or more in all the flyways. Disease has played a part. Goldeneyes and ringnecks are steady or up.

It's not a real surprise ducks are hard to find. We've armored the shoreline which wiped out the SAVs many of them feed on. We've filled in the marshes where they roost and loaf or build right to the edge of them with the resulting pollution running off the manicured lawns. Farming practices have changed again and there's not as much waste grain on the ground.

The same thing is true for quail, farming practices changed and they have no cover so foxes, and now coyotes, can get to them.
Damn farmers. C'mon TPD... do better.

3CATSAILOR

Do people really like to eat ducks or geese?
I guess so. However, I beleive it probably taste a little "gamey". Their shotgun blasts of the very tiny ducks doesn't make sense to me. However, I am sure we probably have some hunters on this forum that can better clarify whether or not eating this wildlife and using shotguns for very tiny ducks is at the crack of dawn at single digit wind chills is worth the effort. I don't understand why killing little animals is such a recreation for some people. Supposedly people eat them. But, something so small, what is there to eat? Maybe they get a whole bunch together and might eventually get a meal out of it. The geese on the other hand are a larger bird. But, I see very few people shooting them.

However, I did hear of a "Avian Flu" that the "Federal Government" is now monitoring in other States that they are concerned about and may spread to other States. They are equally concerned of it jumping to humans, although they acknowledge there are no kown cases so far.