DO NOT EAT at Charlie's Deli in Ridge

lovinmaryland

The chicken salad I had was around $7. (this was a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly), and it was large chunks of chicken in mayo between two slices of white bread. I don't even think they salted it. That was it. $7.
Not trying to say I am the best cook ever or anything but if a place has food that I can not only make but make them better I just dont frequent them.
I eat there on occasion because it's close to home, but I find his food these days kind of blah as well. When he re-opened I was really looking forward to having one of his reubens again, and was disappointed when it came with dried-out corned beef and undrained sauerkraut. I thought maybe I just caught him on a bad day so I've tried other things on the menu and find them mediocre as well. Most sandwiches now are around $10 and you pay extra for fries. It just isn't the same as it used to be. :frown:

I will say, though, the portions are HUGE.

Hmm interesting. Glad we havent tried it since the re open then :lol:

dontknowwhy

you got hot fries?...damn!! thats better than any fast food place around here!! Think i'll go there tonight for dinner...thanks for the great idea!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not trying to say I am the best cook ever or anything but if a place has food that I can not only make but make them better I just dont frequent them.

I don't get this attitude. Most restaurants I go to, I order food that I could certainly make at home and many times better. My steak rub is FAR superior to any restaurant's, and I can get a ribeye med-rare every single time. Even the best steamed crabs I've ever had were at friends' house and not a restaurant.

The reason I go to restaurants is not to feed myself, but to socialize with friends over a meal and not have to cook or clean up after. If I grab a sandwich somewhere for lunch it's not because I'm too dumb to slap some cold cuts on bread, but because I either don't have cold cuts handy or just don't feel like going through the hassle of constructing a sandwich.

Not picking on you or anything :love:, just curious about the whole "I can make it better at home" deal.

PS, mAlice does make the best chicken salad ever, so getting a chicken salad sandwich anywhere was just setting herself up for disappointment.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
PS, mAlice does make the best chicken salad ever, so getting a chicken salad sandwich anywhere was just setting herself up for disappointment.

As we all know, I'm setting myself up for disappointment anytime I eat out.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I don't get this attitude. Most restaurants I go to, I order food that I could certainly make at home and many times better. My steak rub is FAR superior to any restaurant's, and I can get a ribeye med-rare every single time. Even the best steamed crabs I've ever had were at friends' house and not a restaurant.

The reason I go to restaurants is not to feed myself, but to socialize with friends over a meal and not have to cook or clean up after. If I grab a sandwich somewhere for lunch it's not because I'm too dumb to slap some cold cuts on bread, but because I either don't have cold cuts handy or just don't feel like going through the hassle of constructing a sandwich.

Not picking on you or anything :love:, just curious about the whole "I can make it better at home" deal.

:yay:

And I can cook pretty much ANYTHING better :yahoo: but I go out because it is easier, faster, and I don't have to clean.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

:yay:
I'm lazy and I want to be served.

The only issue I have with charlies, and I think DoWhat said it too, was the damn huge portion. I got a french dip a few weeks ago, could have made two meals.

And as far as NYC patrons? I'm from NY. To be honest, they are more pleasant and better mannered than most places I've been. Getting an irate customer is the exception, not the rule. You either have a good product and do well, or no one comes back and you go out of business. There is no middle ground, nothing to get upset about.

lovinmaryland

Just like you dont understand the make it better at home, I dont understand why people frequent places that isnt serving the quality of what they can make themselves. :lol:

I get what you are saying about going out w/ friends. Sure I go enjoy even if it isnt the best because at that point it is about the socialization and not neccisraily about the food.

I have a family of 7 so eating out is a *special* occassion. I want to go some where that the food is going to be equally as delicious as I can make if not better. Otherwise I would just prefer to save that $ and make 2 or 3 delish dinners at home! :smile:

We dont go out for crabs because we catch them and cook...not only do they taste better, are fresher, but it cost us $10 in supplies to feed our entire family & sometimes our friends/neighbors.

The ONLY place I will order a steak from would be if we were eating at Ruth Chris or soemthing like that (which is EXTREMELY rare) I just dont order steaks out. Not only can I cook & season it at home to my liking I can make one for all 7 of us for the price of 2 steaks from one of the local establishments around here.

If you dont have the cold cuts handy, dont feel like making the sandwich yourself, whatever your reasoning... are you going somewhere that serves a sandwich that is less tasty than what you can make?

Personally I would rather just take the time and make it myself than purchase something and be disappointed w/ the taste & quality. Again just me.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Just like you dont understand the make it better at home, I dont understand why people frequent places that isnt serving the quality of what they can make themselves. :lol:

I get what you are saying about going out w/ friends. Sure I go enjoy even if it isnt the best because at that point it is about the socialization and not neccisraily about the food.

I have a family of 7 so eating out is a *special* occassion. I want to go some where that the food is going to be equally as delicious as I can make if not better. Otherwise I would just prefer to save that $ and make 2 or 3 delish dinners at home! :smile:

We dont go out for crabs because we catch them and cook...not only do they taste better, are fresher, but it cost us $10 in supplies to feed our entire family & sometimes our friends/neighbors.

The ONLY place I will order a steak from would be if we were eating at Ruth Chris or soemthing like that (which is EXTREMELY rare) I just dont order steaks out. Not only can I cook & season it at home to my liking I can make one for all 7 of us for the price of 2 steaks from one of the local establishments around here.

If you dont have the cold cuts handy, dont feel like making the sandwich yourself, whatever your reasoning... are you going somewhere that serves a sandwich that is less tasty than what you can make?

Personally I would rather just take the time and make it myself than purchase something and be disappointed w/ the taste & quality. Again just me.
Whatever.
You make it look like you are perfect.

lovinmaryland

Whatever.
You make it look like you are perfect.

I am :diva:

:lmao:

That wasnt my intention, just trying to say I am not going to spend $ on food that isnt of quality that I can personally make. I am sure everyone is like that.

Would you go to McDonalds for dinner if you had everything at home to make burgers on the grill? Probably not right.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Migtig

I did not even know they made those. Other than the Reuben I get the chicken fajita but folded up like a burrito and they run it though the pizza oven. Another two lunch meal and the price is decent no more than $6:00 for two days of food. Only thing I do not like is they are basically a breakfast and lunch only. After 3pm it's pizza or nothing.

Last edited: