Do you tip the restaurant......

keekee

for carry-out orders?
I never have - and I'm just wondering if that's bad etiquette?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I do at the local Chinese carryout IF I have cash in my pocket. I'll put a couple bucks in the can on the counter.

MiddleGround

The way I see it, the price for the food AND THE PREP is included in the pricing. You tip for the services provided (i.e. food brought to your table, drink refilled, making a good drink, etc.)

keekee

The way I see it, the price for the food AND THE PREP is included in the pricing. You tip for the services provided (i.e. food brought to your table, drink refilled, making a good drink, etc.)
That's always been my take on it too. But I just picked up a carry-out from a restaurant where we often eat. We always tip well, but I didn't see the need to for to-go food. My bill was 33.90, and I gave 35.00 and said 'keep the rest'. The waiter gave me a puzzled look, so I started feeling guilty after I drove away. I'm sure he was thinking - - - "cheep azz". I could see it in his eyes. 😆

MiddleGround

That's always been my take on it too. But I just picked up a carry-out from a restaurant where we often eat. We always tip well, but I didn't see the need to for to-go food. My bill was 33.90, and I gave 35.00 and said 'keep the rest'. The waiter gave me a puzzled look, so I started feeling guilty after I drove away. I'm sure he was thinking - - - "cheep azz". I could see it in his eyes. 😆

Must have been hard on that 20 second walk from the door to your car. Rough.. I tell ya'

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Think of it this way:

Would you tip the cashier at McDonalds?

If the answer is no, then you wouldn't tip the cashier at any other carryout place. I'll make an exception and drop a couple bucks in the jar if they do something besides hand me my food. Like, they're very friendly or entertaining, or make good suggestions when I'm ordering.

Auntie Biache'

Rarely. Everybody's putting tip jars out these days, and it's beyond tacky. If I come inside, stand in line to place an order for take out, then I'm not tipping someone for doing what they're already being paid to do. Once exception is call ahead and they bring to my car. I'll tip a buck. Yes, I will tip you for coming out into the elements.

PeoplesElbow

Often the casual dining establishments have waitresses that don't get paid minimum wage put everything together, bag it up etc. I've only gotten stuff from these places a couple times but when the waitress went the extra mile I would give her a few bucks for her trouble.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I worked for a mom and pop pizza/Italian food place in college. There were only 5 tables so To-go/pick up orders were the majority of my customers and a lot of effort was put into bagging up huge orders that weren't just pizza :lol: often I spent more time putting together meals in their to-go containers vs. dropping them at a eat-in table and taking care of them in-house. A buck or two for a pick up order was much appreciated. Since the restaurant had tables for people to sit down and order from (vs strictly pick up and go), my boss was required to pay me as a waitress at waitress wages ($6-something) even though I spent more time packing up orders and cashiering.

However I'm not tipping someone at dunkin' for my coffee. A corporation like that pays their employees accordingly.

Slightly off topic, but this is as good a place as any for it.

My buddy told me a story last night about a visit to Jack in the Box back in the '70s. They pull up to the clown head and order. The guy taking the order asked if they wanted a free chocolate shake. They said sure! Got to the window, noticed the cashier was a black dude. They pay, get their order. No chocolate shake. So they ask, "Hey! Thought we were getting a chocolate shake?" The black guy starts dancing. They gave him a tip when they stopped laughing.

Real story.

officeguy

However I'm not tipping someone at dunkin' for my coffee. A corporation like that pays their employees accordingly.

Most if not all of the Dunkin locations are franchises. While most Dunkin franchisees own a few locations, it's still a locally owned business.

Now the Dunkins and McD employees are paid a full wage, not at the reduced 'tipped wage' rate, so no tip is expected. Otoh, if you go into a full service restaurant and a waiter or bartender rings up your takeout order (iow they don't have a separately staffed counter for this), that person would work for free if you dont add a tip. Now I won't give the 18-20% for a full dining experience, but I add a few bucks as I know how it feels to deal with cheapskate customers.

luvmygdaughters

It depends, a fast food joint, definitely not. A local place, yes, if I have extra change, I'll drop it in the jar. Honestly, I never use cash anymore, everything is with the debit card, so I don't always have bills, just coin.