Doggy play date?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I go during the day when the little beasts are in school. My patience for ignorance is thin these days and I can't guarantee how I'd react if some brat started harassing Apollo.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I go during the day when the little beasts are in school. My patience for ignorance is thin these days and I can't guarantee how I'd react if some brat started harassing Apollo.

I wish I could have done that. And honestly, I know it's the parents fault for thinking it's acceptable to put their children in with small dogs and not asking if it's okay with the owner. I'd just scoop her up and leave rather than pulling an ICit. :lol:

SoMDGirl42

I wish I could have done that. And honestly, I know it's the parents fault for thinking it's acceptable to put their children in with small dogs and not asking if it's okay with the owner. I'd just scoop her up and leave rather than pulling an ICit. :lol:

If I took my little dogs to a little dog park with my child, I certainly wouldn't ask permission to bring my child in. I'd expect my child to respect the other animals that were there. My child has as much right to be there as anyone else. It's the parents fault for not controlling their child.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
If I took my little dogs to a little dog park with my child, I certainly wouldn't ask permission to bring my child in. I'd expect my child to respect the other animals that were there. My child has as much right to be there as anyone else. It's the parents fault for not controlling their child.

Not trying to offend you. You are a great parent. But not everybody is. However, what I experienced was they would send their brat in to "pet" and "play with" my dog, not even having one of their own in there. Which in that case, they should have asked my permission to pet my dog. Which I would have allowed. Instead they sent their shrieking banshees in to chase and scream at my dog. Big difference.

SoMDGirl42

Not trying to offend you. You are a great parent. But not everybody is. However, what I experienced was they would send their brat in to "pet" and "play with" my dog, not even having one of their own in there. Which in that case, they should have asked my permission to pet my dog. Which I would have allowed. Instead they sent their shrieking banshees in to chase and scream at my dog. Big difference.

That sounds a little different than what you said the first time. You made it sound like I have to ask permission to take my child somewhere public that she has as much right to as the next person.

Secondly, the parents should be hogged tied for sending their child in alone with strange dogs. I've taught my children to ask before approaching any animal.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

I dont mind the kids there... they should be taught right and wrong...

you never know how a dog will respond to a child screaming and running at them.... it may turn into a dog bite.

I have one dog that if a child runs from them... yep she will run after them... she has a high prey drive and will try to heard them... ITS HER JOB... WHAT SHE IS BREED TO DO.. WORK. she will nip at heals... :biggrin:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
That sounds a little different than what you said the first time. You made it sound like I have to ask permission to take my child somewhere public that she has as much right to as the next person.

Secondly, the parents should be hogged tied for sending their child in alone with strange dogs. I've taught my children to ask before approaching any animal.

VERY TRUE!!!! not all dogs will react to kids the same way!!! and may get a warning bite

Roman

Thanks, but I'm really looking for a dog park buddy. Several of my neighbors have smaller dogs that Apollo interacts with, but none of them ever go to the park.

Ooh! And I have a rant!

Why do people take their smaller dogs to the big dog area instead of the small dog area? Here's Apollo all alone, and there are Poms, Pugs, MinPins, etc on the big side getting run over by the giants. Why not just let them run in the area appropriate to their size?
I have a 21 pound Boston Terrier that has always played with large Dogs. She likes all dogs, but prefers the big ones. So when I take her to the Dog Park, I go on the large Dog side. I keep her leashed until all the pups have sniffed her, and if they get along, I let her go. She's very energetic, so some small Dogs might not like that.

SoMDGirl42

I have a 21 pound Boston Terrier that has always played with large Dogs. She likes all dogs, but prefers the big ones. So when I take her to the Dog Park, I go on the large Dog side. I keep her leashed until all the pups have sniffed her, and if they get along, I let her go. She's very energetic, so some small Dogs might not like that.

i can see where a 21 pound dog could be considered "medium" sized and might go to either side. Sounds like her personality perfers larger dogs.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Yep, I thought you misunderstood me. When I said they "put their kids in" they really put their kids in. :lol: I don't know...on further thought, I'd probably cage my children in the small dog area as well. :jet:

Roman

i can see where a 21 pound dog could be considered "medium" sized and might go to either side. Sounds like her personality perfers larger dogs.
She has been raised around a Boxer, Pit Bull, Bull Mastif, and a Grey Hound. My Granddog is a Chihuaua, and they get along great also. The Chi is hyper too, so it's a good mix.

LuckyMe143

I wish Marley would get along with other dogs :bawl: We take her to the pet park and sometimes she does ok but other times shes a freaking nut.

SoMDGirl42

be careful. I talked with my neighbor last night. He was at the dog park and for the second time his 10 year old greyhound was attacked by another dog at the park. Cost him over a grand to fix him back up again.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
nope...no more dog park for me...

unless i wanna chance them getting sick... or chewed up.

LuckyMe143

nope...no more dog park for me...

unless i wanna chance them getting sick... or chewed up.

Luckily no one ever goes in the small side but I don't think I'm going to chance anymore. I see to many stupid owners. They scare me more then the dog. Marley is sensitive about her ears. Another dog cant even sniff them. I think she like that because my mil dogs bit her. :(