DOJ ordered WHAT

WingsOfGold

StmarysCity79

Here stupid ass, rag left of Mao says they did NOT beat them. Ohhhhh they used harsh language!

And your point is what exactly?

All day long all Fox and Newsmax do is lie and you gobble that up and now you are mad that an actual investigation was done and sad no one was whipped?

WingsOfGold

And your point is what exactly?

All day long all Fox and Newsmax do is lie and you gobble that up and now you are mad that an actual investigation was done and sad no one was whipped?
Point is they didn't beat the law breaking invaders as you claim. It was a LIE, tho they should have.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It’s quite common for people involved in criminal trials to have warrrants issues for all manner or electronic records - email, social media, etc. It’s just as common for there to be a proscription on telling the end-user that such warrants have been received. Nothing abnormal about this at all.

I’m all for companies standing up for users in these sorts of cases. In the Apple ecosystem, for example, they *cannot* comply with such orders because of encryption for which there is no back door. Many email platforms do this as well. And this is a perfectly valid occasion to tell the government to pound sand.

Remember the San Bernardino shooter? Where the FBI found the iPhone of the shooter and demanded that Apple break into it? Apple told them to pound sand, we can’t do it and even if we could we won’t. They are ended up having to pay an Israeli security firm to break into it. They didn’t break the encryption; rather, they used an exploit.

The firm I use for offsite storage, rsync.net, for example, uses this warrant canary:

And everything I ship to them is encrypted by me.

My axiom in the digital world has always been: if you want guaranteed privacy, you need to pay for it. If it is free of charge, you are the product and you have ZERO privacy.

Twitter is a free service and, well, ya get what you pay for.

As much as I hate what you are saying, I actually understand it.

I think many realized this after the news broke and the shock wore off a bit.

Moving forward, we have realized that free speech may not be found within the words of the user agreement.

HemiHauler

As much as I hate what you are saying, I actually understand it.

I think many realized this after the news broke and the shock wore off a bit.

Moving forward, we have realized that free speech may not be found within the words of the user agreement.

Keys are awareness and risk management. Good encryption is hard to get right - and there aren’t a lot is “easy button” encryption tools available for non-technical users to be honest. BUT the point is we all have the ability to protect ourselves commensurate with our risk tolerance.

There’s a reason why encryption protocols were once declared as munitions for export control purposes. It works if you do it right.