Don't disagree with the Baptist's

willie

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,151602,00.html
Death threats have been made against him for allowing Michael Schiavo to remove the feeding tube that has kept his 41-year-old wife alive for the past 15 years, and the Southern Baptist (search) church that Greer belonged to for years has asked him to leave the congregation

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And this is why...

"A lawyer told me when I first got involved in this case that he (Greer) does not have a reverse on his transmission," Anderson said. "He apparently is too prideful to say 'I made a mistake. I made a mistake because I didn't have all the information and I am sorry I made a mistake."'

...we have an appeals process. Which supports the judges rulings. Over.
And over. And over.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Having been a Baptist, you all misunderstand when you group Baptist churches. Each church is independent. They may belong to the Southern Baptist Convention, but each church can decide on their own stance on issues. Just thought I'd point that out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This was brought up last night at our family Easter gathering - "when God wants Terri to die, he'll take her."

My thought is that "God" has already decided and Man is trying to thwart His will. If it weren't for Man's intervention, Terri Schiavo would be dead. "God" can decide that your number's up, but Man can keep you alive indefinitely.

So, I find it interesting that the religious folks have a problem with the feeding tube being removed. Don't they believe that God can perform miracles and make Terri whole again without the interferance of Man?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
So, I find it interesting that the religious folks have a problem with the feeding tube being removed. Don't they believe that God can perform miracles and make Terri whole again without the interferance of Man?
Not all believers have a problem with the feeding tube being removed. Many think extraordinary means of preserving life is not a correct solution.

God is most definitely the God of miracles and healing. Many denominations, including many Baptist churches, no longer believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. That is but one reason I am a former Baptist and not a current one.

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
2ndAmendment said:
Each church is independent. They may belong to the Southern Baptist Convention, but each church can decide on their own stance on issues. Just thought I'd point that out.

:shocking:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
"You must know that in all likelihood it is this case which will define your career and this case that you will remember in the waning days of life," Calvary Baptist Pastor William Rice wrote to Greer in a letter than later became public. "I hope you can find a way to side with the angels and become an answer to the prayers of thousands."

Many of us believe he already has, thank you very much.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Christians" are rabbling against Bush because he won't abuse his power and send in state troops to overturn a court decision and interfere in a private family matter. Now they're rabbling against this judge because he's following the law instead of his theological ideology.

This is the most classic case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" that I've ever seen.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
"Christians" are rabbling against Bush because he won't abuse his power and send in state troops to overturn a court decision and interfere in a private family matter. Now they're rabbling against this judge because he's following the law instead of his theological ideology.

This is the most classic case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" that I've ever seen.
Don't lump us all together. Some Christians are and some are not rabbling. Belief in Jesus as Savior and Lord makes me a Christian as it does anyone. I do believe that Terri is brain dead, has been dead for many years, her spirit gone to eternal life or damnation depending on her acceptance or not of God's salvation, and the shell that used to house all that was Terri is being kept alive. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
2ndAmendment said:
Don't lump us all together.
I wasn't - that's why I put it in quotes.

There were a couple of ministers/priests/rabbis on one of the talk shows last night that said the same thing you just did - that Terri's soul has been with God for many years and the various factions are merely fighting over her shell. a couple of them even went as far as to present my argument, which is that "God" is not keeping Terri alive right now, "Man" is.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
I wasn't - that's why I put it in quotes.
:yay:

vraiblonde said:
There were a couple of ministers/priests/rabbis on one of the talk shows last night that said the same thing you just did - that Terri's soul has been with God for many years and the various factions are merely fighting over her shell. a couple of them even went as far as to present my argument, which is that "God" is not keeping Terri alive right now, "Man" is.
Bill Keller of the Daily Devotional that I quote sometimes sent a devotional dedicated to this issue. He lives just a few miles from the hospital and says the media has blown this into a hurricane when it should have just blown out. Said she had been dead for years and they should just let her shell die too.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:

Bill Keller of the Daily Devotional that I quote sometimes sent a devotional dedicated to this issue. He lives just a few miles from the hospital and says the media has blown this into a hurricane when it should have just blown out. Said she had been dead for years and they should just let her shell die too.
He's right about the media. And I'm surprised that he would favor letting her die. I thought that most Christian denominations were doctrinally opposed to cutting off any kind of life support.

Charles

2ndAmendment said:

How long has he practiced medicine? If she has been dead then why didn't they do an autopsy? It certainly is a case that deserves an autopsy.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
He's right about the media. And I'm surprised that he would favor letting her die. I thought that most Christian denominations were doctrinally opposed to cutting off any kind of life support.
Or the life support should not have been started in the first place.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Charles said:
How long has he practiced medicine? If she has been dead then why didn't they do an autopsy? It certainly is a case that deserves an autopsy.
Nothing you ever post seems to have much of any point except to be a pain in the posterior. If you don't have the mental capabilities to contribute meaningfully, let us know and we will make allowances for your diminished capabilities.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
2ndAmendment said:
Or the life support should not have been started in the first place.
Why? Isn't that murder in the eyes of most Christian denominations? Isn't that the same as cutting off the life support?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonio said:
Isn't that murder in the eyes of most Christian denominations? Isn't that the same as cutting off the life support?
No. Many, if not most, Christians believe that God gives you life and God will take it when he's darn good and ready. By artificially prolonging life, doctors are "playing God" and that is a sin.

Some denominations go even further and prohibit basic medicine, such as aspirin and cold remedies, as well.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
Why? Isn't that murder in the eyes of most Christian denominations? Isn't that the same as cutting off the life support?
I cannot speak for the denominations. Nor, as I understand from what I have read, do the various churches even within a denomination all believe the same way in this case.

The other side of the argument is the person was supposed to have died and man intervened and kept the person alive when they should not have.

I am a Christian and come down on both sides depending on circumstance. If the person has cognitive ability and thought even if in a coma, then life support could be used until the body can take over on its own. If a person has no cognitive thought, then artificial life support is just dragging out a process that has, for the most part, already happened. I look at it this way. If the person still has thought they have a chance to accept Y'shua as Savior, then that chance must be given. If there is no thought process and that decision cannot be made, then it is too late anyway for the greater question of where the person will spend eternity has already been made. Prolonging the existence of the shell will change nothing.