• Door A

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Door B

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
I have thought about this question for quite a while and I still cannot make a choice. I felt like sharing this with others to see what you guys would think.

You wake to find yourself in a plain room with two doors opposite each other and a note on the table. Reading the note, you find that you have been selected for a scientific study into human psychology.

The note tells you that the experiment takes place over the next 20 years, and you may not leave until that time is up. It tells you to press button A to open room A or B to open room B. By opening one door, you permanently lock the other door. By pressing both buttons simultaneously, you permanently lock both.

Behind door A is a hemispherical room with radius twice your height, in which you would be constantly observed. If you enter that room, you may request (by speaking into the microphone in that room) to have an identical clone of any person you name or describe brought to you, including real life versions of fictional characters. The clone will obey whatever you command without question. You may switch your clone for another human once every month, but if you want to get rid of your clone you can kill it without any consequences. The clone CANNOT speak. It’s like a zombie that can obey basic instructions like “bend over”, “come here”, “massage my feet” etc. The clone comes naked and won’t obey any instruction to harm you.

You can also request as many inanimate, NON-ELECTRONIC objects to be brought to you as you want, as long as there is judged to be no way that you could use the item to kill yourself or escape. If you do attempt to kill yourself, you will be sedated and returned to your room, with the items you used permanently removed. (Remember that you can ask to have all the essentials brought to you whenever you want; a bed, meals, drink etc). You will be force-fed if you choose to starve yourself.

Behind door B is a gun and a bullet.

Which would you choose, and why?

Last edited:

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
Here is why I'm torn:

If I were to choose Door A, I would have to make sure that the lights were always on, no calendar, and no clocks. I think that if I had it that way, time would pass much quicker. I would have to throw in exercise/weight equipment and something else to keep me constructive. The clone would be nice to have for, well, you know (even if it can't talk). I definitley would not be able to keep sane by myself for 20 years. The whole experience would teach me a lot about myself. I can't see myself committing suicide.

If I were to choose Door B, it would be because 20 years is a long, long, long time. Nobody to talk to, no music, no television/movies, no way of communicating to the outside world, etc. Coming out after 20 years would suck. Getting back into culture normally would be incredibly stressful because I would have been alone for 20 years.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
If I were to choose Door B, it would be because 20 years is a long, long, long time. Nobody to talk to, no music, no television/movies, no way of communicating to the outside world, etc. Coming out after 20 years would suck. Getting back into culture normally would be incredibly stressful because I would have been alone for 20 years.
The choice is clear, A. Twenty years goes by quick and after that twenty you'll still have an entire life ahead of you depending on age.

Those who were caught in the Eastern Communist curtain didn't off themselves. Most remained and eventually broke out of the controlling system.

B

Bronwyn

Is this thread really about you contemplating divorce or staying in a marriage? :lmao:

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
The choice is clear, A. Twenty years goes by quick and after that twenty you'll still have an entire life ahead of you depending on age.

Those who were caught in the Eastern Communist curtain didn't off themselves. Most remained and eventually broke out of the controlling system.

I'd be the whopping age of 38. It's true what you say about those inside the curtain, but they had differences, including human interaction and weren't in an enclosed space.

Is this thread really about you contemplating divorce or staying in a marriage? :lmao:

Not quite. Haha.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I'd be the whopping age of 38. It's true what you say about those inside the curtain, but they had differences, including human interaction and weren't in an enclosed space.
Not much, actually. They had to constantly worry about what their neighbor or even family member might say to the secret police just so they would look grand in front of the government. A lot lived in section 8 housing, except worse U.S. standards. Everyone was forced to do as told, if not they'd be shot or imprisoned. The space might not be as enclosed but they weren't allowed to travel very far at all. That is a miserable and horrible life. At least with plan A, I'd know there was light at the end of the tunnel. At least with plan A, I'd have some minor entertainment.

Besides, who wouldn't want their own slave.:lmao:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I don't think many people will choose plan B. Even with limited freedom and liberty, people will still choose to live.

The real question is, what would it take you to choose plan B? Now that is intriguing.

KillJoy

In doubt? Throttle out!
Not much, actually. They had to constantly worry about what their neighbor or even family member might say to the secret police just so they would look grand in front of the government. A lot lived in section 8 housing, except worse U.S. standards. Everyone was forced to do as told, if not they'd be shot or imprisoned. The space might not be as enclosed but they weren't allowed to travel very far at all. That is a miserable and horrible life. At least with plan A, I'd know there was light at the end of the tunnel. At least with plan A, I'd have some minor entertainment.

Besides, who wouldn't want their own slave.:lmao:

Oh trust me I understand. Im saying that they were able to move around in more than, oh lets just say a 20x20x20 space. They were able to generally converse with others in a certain sense other than telling a clone what to do. No doubt that those people were oppressed, but they had more than themselves around them.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Oh trust me I understand. Im saying that they were able to move around in more than, oh lets just say a 20x20x20 space. They were able to generally converse with others in a certain sense other than telling a clone what to do. No doubt that those people were oppressed, but they had more than themselves around them.
This brings up another point. I think that if someone were to choose option B, they'd have something wrong with them. If you can't live with yourself, something is wrong.

Toxick

Splat
You can also request as many inanimate, NON-ELECTRONIC objects to be brought to you as you want, as long as there is judged to be no way that you could use the item to kill yourself or escape.

No video games or TV?

Jeez. With a simple turn of phrase you turned a room in heaven into hell.

Etred101

I have thought about this question for quite a while and I still cannot make a choice. I felt like sharing this with others to see what you guys would think.

You wake to find yourself in a plain room with two doors opposite each other and a note on the table. Reading the note, you find that you have been selected for a scientific study into human psychology.

The note tells you that the experiment takes place over the next 20 years, and you may not leave until that time is up. It tells you to press button A to open room A or B to open room B. By opening one door, you permanently lock the other door. By pressing both buttons simultaneously, you permanently lock both.

Behind door A is a hemispherical room with radius twice your height, in which you would be constantly observed. If you enter that room, you may request (by speaking into the microphone in that room) to have an identical clone of any person you name or describe brought to you, including real life versions of fictional characters. The clone will obey whatever you command without question. You may switch your clone for another human once every month, but if you want to get rid of your clone you can kill it without any consequences. The clone CANNOT speak. It’s like a zombie that can obey basic instructions like “bend over”, “come here”, “massage my feet” etc. The clone comes naked and won’t obey any instruction to harm you.

You can also request as many inanimate, NON-ELECTRONIC objects to be brought to you as you want, as long as there is judged to be no way that you could use the item to kill yourself or escape. If you do attempt to kill yourself, you will be sedated and returned to your room, with the items you used permanently removed. (Remember that you can ask to have all the essentials brought to you whenever you want; a bed, meals, drink etc). You will be force-fed if you choose to starve yourself.

Behind door B is a gun and a bullet.

Which would you choose, and why?

Wasn't this an episode of The Twilight Zone?