Drugged horse?

MoochCat

Mooch Cat
Just "drop" by with out telling them and ask to see horse again.
sounds like a nice horse..but what is "w/t/c"
Go back for another visit..and bring a carrot too.

I get a buzz on cat nip..what do horses do?

Cowgirl

blueeyedangel said:
Hey Everyone..

My parents and I are looking for a first horse for me, and we found the PERFECT horse (And we've been searching for about 3 months for the "perfect" horse). Absolutely amazing 5 year old QH he's dead broke and completely bombproof however he needs the miles (He's still really young.)
I hopped on him w/t/c, and did some other things and he just stood there like a gentleman. I even hopped on him after we took the saddle off, and he walked and trotted around in just a halter and a lead rope.The people who own him showed me 3 other horses, and they were also very very nice, but they didn't have that little sparkle that our guy had.

However, because I'm a first time buyer, I don't want to be stepped all over. The people selling the horse are very respectable people and have a gorgeous facility, and seem trustworthy enough. So, how do you know if a horse is drugged without getting a vet out, etc? Are there noticeable signs? I'd like to think that it was just his nature to be that way, but you never know. :jameo:

Any help is appreciated and thanks a lot!! :)

I would definitely have an experience horse buyer there (someone you know trust, not someone the seller recommends), or get a vet out to do a vet check. It's worth the money for a vet to do a soundness exam if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Maybe you could also show up unannounced to look at him again.

Cowgirl

MoochCat said:
Just "drop" by with out telling them and ask to see horse again.
sounds like a nice horse..but what is "w/t/c"
Go back for another visit..and bring a carrot too.

I get a buzz on cat nip..what do horses do?

walk/trot/canter

R

riderup

blueeyedangel said:
Hey Everyone..

My parents and I are looking for a first horse for me, and we found the PERFECT horse (And we've been searching for about 3 months for the "perfect" horse). Absolutely amazing 5 year old QH he's dead broke and completely bombproof however he needs the miles (He's still really young.)
I hopped on him w/t/c, and did some other things and he just stood there like a gentleman. I even hopped on him after we took the saddle off, and he walked and trotted around in just a halter and a lead rope.The people who own him showed me 3 other horses, and they were also very very nice, but they didn't have that little sparkle that our guy had.

However, because I'm a first time buyer, I don't want to be stepped all over. The people selling the horse are very respectable people and have a gorgeous facility, and seem trustworthy enough. So, how do you know if a horse is drugged without getting a vet out, etc? Are there noticeable signs? I'd like to think that it was just his nature to be that way, but you never know. :jameo:

NO HORSE completely bombproof, especially one who is 5!!
Do a trial period, and ride with a good instructor. Maybe you could take someone more experienced or your trainer with you to see him. As a first time buyer, you need to have him vetted. Just because someone has a nice facility doesn't mean they will be honest with you. Have him checked out, ride him a couple more times, and show up once or twice unannounced to observe him. If they are reputable people, they will understand your concerns. Ask tons of questions, and ride him outside of the arena. Most horses do behave themselves in the ring. Find out what he does when things don't go his way. Does he suit your type of riding? Are you keeping him at home or boarding?
It is sooo exciting getting your first horse, and I wish you lots of luck!!

R

riderup

I would never buy a horse without a vet check. Some people would, but to me, it is worth the money. How come you have to use a certain vet? Although his records may be clean, they might not cover conformation problems unless the original owners had an issue and the previous vet wrote it down. Best to be safe than sorry....If he is really the best horse for you, then pay the money.

fredsaid2

Find a vet where the horse is located, someone who is not the seller's vet. At 5 he probably doesn't have soundness issues but a pre-purchase exam will give you peace of mind. You can also have the vet draw blood to test for drugs. It's what I did for a horse purchased out of state. Some buyers don't do PPEs for an inexpensive horse but treating issues once you own him is the same $$ whether he was 3k or 100k. Remember, if this horse doesn’t work out for what ever reason it just means the right horse is still out there waiting for you. Best of luck, hope all goes well!

Thomas99

blueeyedangel said:
Will do. :) We're gonna go visit tomorrow or tuesday so I'll get some then.

Vet exam is a must or a reputable trainer is also a consideration. Most of the time when a horse is drugged even just alittle- the sheath will be relaxed and may not drop out all the way but can be noticed. Did you see this?

It is possible for you to have just found a horse that is young and great BUT- Why risk it? If the owner will not let anyone else to the exam except the barn vet- what does that say? I know that you are excited but please let the red flags go up...when you buy a horse for personal reasons (personal pleasure riding) you are entering something like marrage- for better or worse, sickness and health etc. Just be careful.

Any seller should let you vet the horse by any vet that you want. They should also let you speak with the vet that is currently taking care of the horse. If they don't- thats fishy. If any of this is familiar...be careful.

Also make sure that the AQHA papers match the markings of the horse.(very important- I have a friend that got papers for a horse she bought and showed them to her vet- there is no way that those papers were the real reg. for her paint. The teeth of the horse were so young and the papers said he was 7. He turned out to be 3 and not reg. Also the markings were all wrong, but passable if you don't look close.) Study them and show them to the vet that does the pre-purchase exam so they can check teeth the make sure that is the acurate age of the horse.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

K

Katie

That would actually give me warning signs that they didn't want you to use your own vet. It doesn't matter if they give you the health records, because they can always leave something out.

I would get a pre-purchase exam on the horse.

I would also have a professional/trainer/ or a experienced person look at that horse.

fredsaid2

Katie said:
That would actually give me warning signs that they didn't want you to use your own vet. It doesn't matter if they give you the health records, because they can always leave something out.

I would get a pre-purchase exam on the horse.

I would also have a professional/trainer/ or a experienced person look at that horse.

Might have missed it but I think she's only saying due to location/funds she can't get her personal vet to see the horse. The sellers are willing to let her take the horse home on trial and she can do the PPE there. But there would be no refund if he didn't work out, just the option to trade for another of their sale horses. The 'no refund, only trade' part is a little bothersome. What if none are a good match?

K

Katie

fredsaid2 said:
Might have missed it but I think she's only saying due to location/funds she can't get her personal vet to see the horse. The sellers are willing to let her take the horse home on trial and she can do the PPE there. But there would be no refund if he didn't work out, just the option to trade for another of their sale horses. The 'no refund, only trade' part is a little bothersome. What if none are a good match?

I was REALLY tired last night, so I must have missed it. I shouldn't reply when exhausted.

The no refund, only trade would turn me right off.

SoMDGirl42

blueeyedangel said:
Hey Everyone..

What is the name of the facility and the location?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
blueeyedangel said:
I'm definitely going to show up unannounced, that's a given. I rode him in a pasture with about 20 crazy ponies, and even when they were galloping around like idiots, he listened to everything. Even when I asked him to canter, he didn't go any faster when asked, and his best friend is a goat, so he's good with other animals, but a trial is a great idea to see how he does away from home.
And yes, he does english and western. While I don't ride western, it's nice to know he's versatile, but he's a very nice lil english horse. And he'd stay at home.

He sounds like a keeper, good luck... :howdy:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
If you ride English and jump I would see if he will pick up his knees nicely over an obstacle that you can lunge him over. If you plan on showing (huntseat) make sure he has little to no knee action. I always have my horses vetted and x-rayed even if I am not paying much. The worst thing for me is to have another $400/month pasture pet that I can't resell. If you don't have the money, at least take someone who knows alot about horses and can look at the horse's feet and tell that the horse has never foundered, and is sound, would suit your discipline etc. I have known plenty of people that have gotten screwed buying horses. Not all horse people are honest unfortunately. Take every precaution you can. Good luck.