DynCorp union negotiations impact

I don't post here too much, but the topic that has recieved well deserved attention "I. A. M. vs DynCorp International" got my attention too. I work, and have worked for employers on this base for a long time. My concern (and question) is what would happen to the productivity and/or the ability of the other contractors and companies who interact with DynCorp if these guys decide to strike?
If my flight test project was put on hold because another contractor, one that we are dependant on won't come to work, how would that impact the entire the flight test enviornment here?
My intent for asking you this is in no way to stir up any anger about greed, political affiliation, and especially family. Just a question... What if?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I don't post here too much, but the topic that has recieved well deserved attention "I. A. M. vs DynCorp International" got my attention too. I work, and have worked for employers on this base for a long time. My concern (and question) is what would happen to the productivity and/or the ability of the other contractors and companies who interact with DynCorp if these guys decide to strike?
If my flight test project was put on hold because another contractor, one that we are dependant on won't come to work, how would that impact the entire the flight test enviornment here?
Just a question... What if?

Some other company would be awarded a temp contract and the strikes would get to hang out at Placid Harbor until they can no langer pay their dues.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Some other company would be awarded a temp contract and the strikes would get to hang out at Placid Harbor until they can no langer pay their dues.

Exactly another company would step up and fill the slot. The folks that write the contracts probably have a stack of bids sitting there waiting for a "what-if" scenario. You'd at most have a gap of a week or so. Not to mention, the government's finishing up finance for the new FY anyway. If dynacorp strikes, those folks may be out of a job for anywhere from a year to five years depending on the support contract needs.

Erin

Curious

Where did these talks of a strike come from?

Under their current contract, there is a strike clause. Hearing that ends Aug 31....wonder if they'll get a bridge contract.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think the strike talk arose from the I.A.M. vs Dyncorp thread. What does that strike clause read, I wonder.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
With the sheer number of jobless people in America now and the state of the economy, any strike would be idiotic!

glhs837

Power with Control
so, the way I see it, they will place off work union members outside the gates to give the base folks a taste of what a strike might look like, and if they dont get what they want, let the contract expire, thinking that Dyn will cave rather than take the bad press and heartache from ticked off customers. Same tactic the UAW has used to crush the steel and auto industries.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
so, the way I see it, they will place off work union members outside the gates to give the base folks a taste of what a strike might look like, and if they dont get what they want, let the contract expire, thinking that Dyn will cave rather than take the bad press and heartache from ticked off customers. Same tactic the UAW has used to crush the steel and auto industries.

And I think in SoMd, that tactic will backfire.

Hold up base traffic and the folks going into work will be tempted to run your butt over.

Bad press? You mean what press? Most news comes from the forums on here and BayNet and the overwhelming majority seem to believe, good you go on strike and I can get your job.

Ticked off customers? That's the same people mentioned above and of course the government. Luckily this is coming at the end of the physical year. They strike and the dyncorp contracts can easily be awarded to another contractor who is more than willing to step up to the plate, get the job done.

As I mentioned before, if a union strikes because of benefits or pay, the company they work for can replace those employees. With as many people clamoring for jobs right now, it won't be hard to find replacements. Dyncorp employees striking just will cause those employees to lose their jobs. :shrug:

thurley42

HY;FR
And I think in SoMd, that tactic will backfire.

Hold up base traffic and the folks going into work will be tempted to run your butt over.
Bad press? You mean what press? Most news comes from the forums on here and BayNet and the overwhelming majority seem to believe, good you go on strike and I can get your job.

Ticked off customers? That's the same people mentioned above and of course the government. Luckily this is coming at the end of the physical year. They strike and the dyncorp contracts can easily be awarded to another contractor who is more than willing to step up to the plate, get the job done.

As I mentioned before, if a union strikes because of benefits or pay, the company they work for can replace those employees. With as many people clamoring for jobs right now, it won't be hard to find replacements. Dyncorp employees striking just will cause those employees to lose their jobs. :shrug:

:yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
I didnt say it would work, just that that is what they would do, in my opinion. Unions, like car dealerships, still live in the past.

chawk

Not as easy as you think

There is no company that can bring in over 900 QUALIFIED employees to fill the requirements of the CFT at Pax River in a short time period. The union knows that, so does DynCorp, and so does the Navy.

These aren't ditch diggin jobs, and there is not a pool of qualified mechanics and plane captains out there itchin to move to Pax River.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There is no company that can bring in over 900 QUALIFIED employees to fill the requirements of the CFT at Pax River in a short time period. The union knows that, so does DynCorp, and so does the Navy.

These aren't ditch diggin jobs, and there is not a pool of qualified mechanics and plane captains out there itchin to move to Pax River.

Funny thing about that. DynCorp does not bring employees 'in'..just like 90% of the other support contractors do not either. They all swap contracts and employees that stay in place. So maybe DynCorp has avoided the musical chair game more than some..but it will catch up with them and it will work just the same.

I always laffed when it was time for the music to start on another round of contract competes. All you had to do to keep your identical job was make sure you submitted your resume to all competing teams..so if your current employer lost, you would never notice a thing change except the name on yr top bosses door.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the corporation - very similar to DynCorp - that provided the lion's share of the same kind of support to Dahlgren that DynCorp does to Pax. Its been too many years I guess..

Anywho..they were 'irreplaceable'..but were eventually replaced. Yet all..and I mean like over 90% of 'all' of their experienced employees simply put on their new company hat and never missed a beat.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
You know i really think everyone should stop crying and acting like a child because they didnt get what they wanted so they are gonna go cry and strike well ALL OF YOU PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT A STRIKE PLEASE GO AHEAD SO WHEN THEY FIRE YOU THEY CAN GIVE THE JOBS TO PEOPLE WHO WOULD BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO JUST HAVE A JOB. thank you that is all

BOP

Exactly another company would step up and fill the slot. The folks that write the contracts probably have a stack of bids sitting there waiting for a "what-if" scenario. You'd at most have a gap of a week or so. Not to mention, the government's finishing up finance for the new FY anyway. If dynacorp strikes, those folks may be out of a job for anywhere from a year to five years depending on the support contract needs.

We've literally had people cold call us and ask us when our current contract was up, when we were starting a recompete, and even if we were happy with our current services provider. They're hungry out there.

We've literally had people cold call us and ask us when our current contract was up, when we were starting a recompete, and even if we were happy with our current services provider. They're hungry out there.

And your response was something like, "I'll let you know... there's rumblings of a strike and we may need a new crew soon...".

:lol: