eBay issue...

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
So I sold a fly sheet on ebay... this is what has followed:

From the buyer to me:
Dear L,
I am a little confused as to your discription as you said no ripes or tears and it had been patched in 2 places. I would like a partial refund due to the tears. I do not want to file a grievence. Please let me know how you are going to take care of this so that I know how to proceed. I have been active on E-Bay for a long time and value my feedback score.
Thanks
- J

From me to the buyer,
J,
I apologize if the description of the item was misleading to you. To be honest I bought it off of eBay for my new gelding and it was simply too big for him so I relisted it using the same description and pictures from the original seller.

When looking over the item I personally did not see any issues with holes, tears, etc. Have the tears and/or holes you are reporting have any affect on the usability of the sheet? Are they "big" holes, etc?
- L

L,
There is a large tear and a hole on the other side; both of which have been "repaired". The sheet is usable but I never would have paid that much for a torn sheet. I would like half of what I paid for it back.
Thanks
-J

J,
Upon looking over the sheet when it was in my possession I did not notice any holes or tears. I will take you at your word that there is a tear and/or a hole. You do report, however, that the hole/tear has been repaired to a fully functional state. Because of this I stand by my item description as being "clean and in good condition with no tears or holes."

I further listed my item's condition as "Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." This alone explains that there may be some cosmetic issues. As an experienced buyer I would hope that you read and understood this stipulation of buying a "used" item.

You mentioned that you would "never would have paid that much for a torn sheet." I would like to point out that you paid $34.00 for the sheet and $9.00 for shipping (which didn't completely cover shipping costs). I hope you understand that this sheet retails for $99.99 at Dover Saddlery. I understand that the retail price is for a new sheet, but that $99.99 is before taxes and shipping. The price you paid for this sheet (including shipping) was less than half of what the new sheet would have cost you. I again want to reiterate that the sheet is in full working order and while you report cosmetic damages, I personally did not notice them.

You request that I refund 50% of your purchase price. I feel this is a bit steep. Not only were you as a buyer warned that there may be cosmetic damages, but the supposed tear and/or hole has been repaired and so this very handsome sheet is in full working order. I am willing to refund 10% of your total price ($43.00), which comes to $4.30. I have found that this 10% is the general rule and/or "magic number" for imperfect items.

Please let me know how you would like me to proceed. Thank you
- L

I think I'm justified in not returning the 50% refund as she requested. I feel my offer of a 10% refund is pretty standard. Has anyone ever had any issues like this before, whether it be with eBay, a tack store, etc? Or am I in the wrong?

She didnt even give me a full 24 hrs to respond to her first message before opening a "case" against me on eBay :banghead:

fredsaid2

Have her send it back and refund her money. Ebay can get very picky. As a buyer I would have wanted to know of repairs.

nomoney

Have her send it back and refund her money. Ebay can get very picky. As a buyer I would have wanted to know of repairs.

:yeahthat: what is your return policy? Have her return the item, she pays for shipping. Refund all of her money minus the 9$ shipping and your relisting fee.

PrepH4U

:yeahthat: what is your return policy? Have her return the CLEAN item, she pays for shipping. Refund all of her money minus the 9$ shipping and your relisting fee.

Make sure she returns a clean sheet and that she hasn't been using it while she is disputing the condition.

highnote

I doubt she will be happy with 10%. A "good condition" used item is different than a "repaired, now functional" used item. I would have been disgruntled too if I was the buyer.

I would ask her for photos- if it does indeed look like it had been repaired, just give her the 50%. Not having to deal with ebay disputes, bad feedback, etc is worth $15 (just count it as a lesson learned).

highnote

I don't sell on ebay very often anymore for this very reason. Buyers can be extremely picky, and they always want 100 photos from every angle, and each individual imperfection listed. Its easier to sell on craigslist or somd (locally) where people can come see the item before they buy it. Then you also dont have to worry about shipping.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I agree with you and I don't use Ebay much at all anymore - have had buyers ask for refunds of purchase price AND shipping for NEW items that didn't fit (and threaten bad feedback) - that's just WRONG. Too many bad people out there to be able to sell things online w/o taking a loss on the bad folks and making the good ones make up the difference in the price they pay.

I don't sell on ebay very often anymore for this very reason. Buyers can be extremely picky, and they always want 100 photos from every angle, and each individual imperfection listed. Its easier to sell on craigslist or somd (locally) where people can come see the item before they buy it. Then you also dont have to worry about shipping.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I stopped using eBay when someone filed a case against me for an item I never purchased/sold. I had no way of providing backup to the case since I had no dealing with the particular person who filed the grievance. I had been in very good standing (all positive) prior to this, and had been a member of eBay for several years. Screw eBay!

SJSWING

I would do as one poster did and ask for proof of the repairs. If the sheet had a solid side and one designer side, ask him/her to take a picture of the sheet folded over to show you the repair. This will help you determine it is the actual sheet and not one pulled out of the closet that may look close in color.

But, then again, with how some buyers are on ebay, he/she could have purchased yours to replace one that was damaged. He/She could show the damaged sheet as the one you shipped.

highnote

And I highly doubt ebay will make any decision in your favor. They almost always grant in favor if the buyer.

It could have been an honest mistake on your part (not noticing the repairs) or she could be trying to pull a fast one. Who knows. Either way I don't see how it could end in your favor- just give her a refund (or offer her more than 10%- a $4 refund is a joke).

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
just give her a refund (or offer her more than 10%- a $4 refund is a joke).

I know a $4 isnt a lot and seems rather ridiculous, but a 10% refund for an imperfect item is pretty standard for the horse world and prom dresses :lol: I figure she wont go for it though but thats ok - In all actuality I am willing to refund 25%. I just know that if I offer 25% from the get-go, shes still going to want 50%. Which is ridiculous. So by offering a 10% refund, I figure she’d ask for 25% - 30% (you know how horse people are... everything is negotiable). Which is something Im willing to do just to shut her the eff up.

Either that or Ill just let her return the sheet and give her a refund for the total price minus shipping and eBay/PayPal fees.

Now I just have to wait for her reply. :tap:

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
L,
Yes as an experienced buyer I do understand the term "used". As an E-Bay power seller I also understand stating when an item has been repaired as opposed to no ripes or tears. Something that you will want to make clear as you list other items. As for the shipping costs not being enough to cover the costs I am not sure why this is even being brought to my attention because I did not have anything to do with the shipping costs. I also do understand what a new sheet costs. However, this is not a new sheet, and I can buy a new sheet at Quarter Horse Congress. With no shipping and probablly on sale as there are always great deals to be had there. That is why I will gladly return this sheet to you if you would like to give me a refund and pay for the return of this sheet as it is not as you listed it. Otherwise a 25% refund and I will keep the sheet. If neither of these works for you I will glaldy take pictures of the tear and hole and let E-Bay decide.

A case does need to be opened in order for you as a seller to get some of the fees E-Bay charged you returned.Otherwise you will still have to pay the % of the total price sold to both E-Bay and PayPal. No a 10% refund is not enough. It does have a tear and a hole. Even though they are repaired you stated no tears or holes. They are there just with a patch over them. That is like buying a glass item that has been glued and stating no breaks or cracks. I will glaldy return the sheet to you if you send me a returned postage receipt and send me a full refund for the shipping cost as well as the cost I paid for the sheet. As for you not getting the total shipping charges that it cost you to ship it: I believe that is what you charged and in no way should be considered as my fault. So you may either credit my PayPal account for 25% or send me a return postage fee and a full refund and I will return the sheet. If this does not work for you I will take pics. & let E-Bay decide
Thanks
- J

J,

I simply brought the shipping costs to your attention because I wanted to point out that not only did you really did get a great deal on this sheet, but I paid for part of the shipping out of my own pocket. No fault of yours. I was just trying to make a point.

If you wanted a great deal on a new sheet I dont understand why you would have purchased a sheet listed on eBay as "used." When purchasing a used item, whether it be on eBay or not, cosmetic issues are to be expected. Which is why eBay's own description for every "used" item is "An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." Because of this I still stand by the fact that my item description was not misleading and you were made fully aware that there may be some cosmetic issues with this sheet. I will say again that I never noticed the issues you are reporting however I am taking you at your word.

Where we go from here is up to you. I am willing to accept a return on the sheet for a full refund ($34.00) minus any shipping, eBay and/or PayPal fees. I will not pay for return shipping as the item was originally listed as "No Returns." Either that or you can keep the sheet and I will issue you a 25% refund off the purchase price, totaling $8.50.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Thank you
- L

Hmmm.... :tap: :coffee:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass

I agree. Not worth your time and if it said no holes or rips, I wouldn't expect it to have fixed holes or rips either. I have to say I would be upset as well.

C

campinmutt

I would tell her to eat sand....she filled a complaint against you so I would no longer work with her....she could not wait to work it out with you . ebay may request you to refund...so be it....they may also say it was listed as used...and no refunds....good luck !!

DQ2B

If I purchased an item that did not specifically advertise a repair was made to it showing photos, I'd be pretty ticked. Since you did not inspect the item carefully and can not verify exactly it's condition and you used someone elses description you should refund her and ask for the item back so you can relist it with a more appropriate description.

Cowgirl

If the rips are repaired, then there are no rips, only patches. It's fully functional and she got a good deal. I would not give her a discount, I'd tell her to send it back and I'd refund the money.

lovinmaryland

If the rips are repaired, then there are no rips, only patches. It's fully functional and she got a good deal. I would not give her a discount, I'd tell her to send it back and I'd refund the money.

I wouldnt even do that. Sounds to me like she just wants to milk some $ from her. Tell her to bad so sad, you"ll get nothing and like it :howdy: