Ebola: It's Here!

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
ebol.jpg

Toxick

Splat
All I saying is that noone ever got Ebola in America until Obama was president.

Just sayin, is all.

Toxick

Splat
Ebola only transfer via bodily fluids after symptoms exist.

There's really nothing to worry about folks.

Am I hearing incorrectly in that there's a bona fide epidemic of this #### in West Africa?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone just popping up with this virus throws up red flags everywhere.

Even if it's more difficult to catch than the common cold, it's clearly not difficult to acquire.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Am I hearing incorrectly in that there's a bona fide epidemic of this #### in West Africa?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone just popping up with this virus throws up red flags everywhere.

Even if it's more difficult to catch than the common cold, it's clearly not difficult to acquire.

Seriously. If it's only spread by bodily fluids, how did this guy catch it, while visiting the area?

Chris0nllyn

Seriously. If it's only spread by bodily fluids, how did this guy catch it, while visiting the area?

Consider the relatively unsanitary conditions there and the fact that one can have small open cuts on their hands/body.

Same way HIV is so rampant over there.

Chris0nllyn

How can you say that? Doctors wearing Hazmat suits are getting it..

Hazmat suits protect from airborne diseases. Ebola is not an airborne disease. The doctor/aid worker would have to come in contact with an infected person's secretions (blood, vomit, etc.)

Also, I'm not aware of any worker in a hazmat suit getting it. Not disagreeing with you, just saying I hadn't heard about that.

Afterall, the woman in this story hasn't contracted it and she spent time helping her 3 relatives with the disease. She used trash bags and rubber boots as a makeshift hazmat suit.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/health/ebola-fatu-family/index.html?hpt=he_t2

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Hazmat suits protect from airborne diseases. Ebola is not an airborne disease.

Also, I'm not aware of any worker in a hazmat suit getting it. Not disagreeing with you, just saying I hadn't heard about that.

Afterall, the woman in this story hasn't contracted it and she spent time helping her 3 relatives with the disease. She used trash bags and rubber boots as a makeshift hazmat suit.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/health/ebola-fatu-family/index.html?hpt=he_t2

I was listening to an interview on the radio the other day, about a young man who had been exposed to it by his entire family, and watched them all die, in the "facility" where they are housed as patients. After all of his family members died, he began volunteering at the same facility where he lost his family. As he started his interview, he was talking about how hot the hazmat suit is to work in. Then he went on to talk about the patients he has lost, and the people who work there, who he has lost. I think it would be safe to assume that the doctors, nurses and volunteers all wear the same type of protective gear/hazmat suit, and it's not preventing the spread of this disease that is supposedly only spread by 'fluids'. I find that very interesting.

Chris0nllyn

I was listening to an interview on the radio the other day, about a young man who had been exposed to it by his entire family, and watched them all die, in the "facility" where they are housed as patients. After all of his family members died, he began volunteering at the same facility where he lost his family. As he started his interview, he was talking about how hot the hazmat suit is to work in. Then he went on to talk about the patients he has lost, and the people who work there, who he has lost. I think it would be safe to assume that the doctors, nurses and volunteers all wear the same type of protective gear/hazmat suit, and it's not preventing the spread of this disease that is supposedly only spread by 'fluids'. I find that very interesting.

Do you believe a west African country has access to that many hazmat suits?

NNU says it received the suits as a donation from Kappler Incorporated, and the organization is now working with international relief organizations to deliver the suits given by the Alabama-based garment manufacturer.

The hazmat suits come at a time of need in West Africa, as the lack of protective suits has been one of the factors slowing the efforts to contain the spread of Ebola, according to the press release. The lack of suits has also been a contributing factor in the infection, and in some cases death, of nurses, doctors and other health workers, the organization said.
http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/09/17/46793/1-000-hazmat-suits-being-sent-by-nurses-group-to-w/

Christy

b*tch rocket
Ebola is my worst fear. I read the "Hot Zone" back in the 80's and it goes into very graphic detail about what it does to your body. Had no desire to EVER visit Africa after I read that. Now it is here. :tantrum: AND I'll be in Dallas soon. :ohwell: Ugh.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ebola is my worst fear. I read the "Hot Zone" back in the 80's and it goes into very graphic detail about what it does to your body. Had no desire to EVER visit Africa after I read that. Now it is here. :tantrum: AND I'll be in Dallas soon. :ohwell: Ugh.

I do know a woman that is from Sierra Leone and know she still has family there. That worries me for them.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Do you believe a west African country has access to that many hazmat suits?

http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/09/17/46793/1-000-hazmat-suits-being-sent-by-nurses-group-to-w/

Well, I guess we have to choose which story we'll believe. The one I heard, or the one you have a link to. We're dealing with a media that seems to not know how to investigate, or out-right lies to listeners/readers.

The guy I listened to inferred that they have suits. People who are supposedly protected from it, are still catching it. I don't think they would punch out at the end of the day, then go downtown and hire a hooker for the evening. :shrug:

Chris0nllyn

Also, I spoke with a guy who lived and worked in west Africa for a period of time and he said that the presence of all these people in hazmat suits is actually scaring folks away from treatment because they fear they will be killed off instead of being treated.

Case in point:

Healthcare workers treating West Africa’s Ebola epidemic are having difficulty fighting the disease due to the mistrust of doctors among the members of infected communities.

In Guinea and Sierra Leone, where more than 500 people have died from the virus, patients have started hiding from health workers, under the impression that hospitalization is a “death sentence,” Reuters reports.

In Lofa County Liberia, recently, doctors attempting to screen communities for the virus were chased away by villagers wielding knives, swords and stones.

Unsanitary burial rituals have also fueled the Ebola epidemic’s persistence. Many West African communities’ traditional funeral ceremonies involve washing the bodies of the dead, which despite warnings from local and international health organizations, continue to put people in direct contact with the virus.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/mistrust-doctors-west-africa-makes-harder-fight-ebola/

The team of journalists and health workers arrived this week at the distant village of Womey to spread awareness of Ebola, the Guardian reported, where mention of lethal disease are met with denials and suspicion. Despite that, the initial meeting with villagers was promising.

“The meeting started off well,” one resident who was present at the talks told the Guardian. “The traditional chiefs welcomed the delegation with 10 kola nuts as a traditional greeting. It was afterwards that some youths came out and started stoning them. They dragged some of them away, and damaged their vehicles.”

Initially, Guinea officials claimed the aid workers and journalists had been taken captive and that distrustful residents had torn down bridges, prohibiting entry into the village. And then on Thursday night the news arrived. “The eight bodies were found in the village latrine,” government spokesman Damantang Albert Camara told Reuters. “Three of them had their throats slit.” He added in a separate interview: They were “killed in cold blood by the villagers.”

The dangers under which health workers try to function appear to be heightening, as frightened locals continue to blame doctors for perpetuating the virus.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...la-workers-may-hint-at-more-violence-to-come/

http://ebola.thelancet.com/pb/assets/raw/Lancet/ebola/S014067361461343X.pdf

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/

Because the natural reservoir host of Ebola viruses has not yet been identified, the manner in which the virus first appears in a human at the start of an outbreak is unknown. However, researchers believe that the first patient becomes infected through contact with an infected animal.

When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with

blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, feces, vomit, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus
infected animals
Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats.
Healthcare providers caring for Ebola patients and the family and friends in close contact with Ebola patients are at the highest risk of getting sick because they may come in contact with infected blood or body fluids of sick patients.

During outbreaks of Ebola, the disease can spread quickly within healthcare settings (such as a clinic or hospital). Exposure to Ebola can occur in healthcare settings where hospital staff are not wearing appropriate protective equipment, including masks, gowns, and gloves and eye protection.

Dedicated medical equipment (preferable disposable, when possible) should be used by healthcare personnel providing patient care. Proper cleaning and disposal of instruments, such as needles and syringes, is also important. If instruments are not disposable, they must be sterilized before being used again. Without adequate sterilization of the instruments, virus transmission can continue and amplify an outbreak.

Once someone recovers from Ebola, they can no longer spread the virus. However, Ebola virus has been found in semen for up to 3 months. People who recover from Ebola are advised to abstain from sex or use condoms for 3 months.

Midnightrider

Well, I guess we have to choose which story we'll believe. The one I heard, or the one you have a link to. We're dealing with a media that seems to not know how to investigate, or out-right lies to listeners/readers.

The guy I listened to inferred that they have suits. People who are supposedly protected from it, are still catching it.
There are many different types of suits that could be considered hazmat suits, and even the best are highly dependant on the user to propperly don and doff to provide protection. Someone who gets spit on their suit and is careless when they take it off could easily expose themslves despite wearing the most effective type of suit.
I don't think they would punch out at the end of the day, then go downtown and hire a hooker for the evening. :shrug:

why not? dont doctors do that in the US?

Also, they could just as easily get it standing in line for a paper or eating a meal prepared by an infected person. There are other ways for a healthcare worker to get ebola in africa than at work.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Also, I spoke with a guy who lived and worked in west Africa for a period of time and he said that the presence of all these people in hazmat suits is actually scaring folks away from treatment because they fear they will be killed off instead of being treated.

Case in point:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/mistrust-doctors-west-africa-makes-harder-fight-ebola/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...la-workers-may-hint-at-more-violence-to-come/

http://ebola.thelancet.com/pb/assets/raw/Lancet/ebola/S014067361461343X.pdf

Well, that's all fine and good, but now we're talking about this country. Either of us could be right, so we'll just have to draw our own conclusions until we see if it starts spreading.
I hope you're right.