Emergency Vet???

FireLadie

OK.. so I posted this in the Pets & animals section but thought that maybe I might get more of a response here

On Sunday while at friends house we had a pet accident when the two dogs (labs) collided while going after the same ball. It was quite bad.

One dog was ok... she had a puncture wound on her forehead. Other however and bit a hole - a large hole through his tongue - and blood was going everywhere.

When we tried calling around for emergency vet services we were continually directed to Waldorf or annapolis... both of which are an hour or more away from parts of St. Mary's County.

Does anyone else find this disturbing. Freak accidents happen all the time... my cat is always under my feet when I'm in the kitchen, what if I accidentally drop a knife and it impales her... do I really have to drive her an hour (in a distraught condition mind you) while she bleeds out next to me in the car???

Does anyone else find this disturbing???

Does anyone know why St. Mary's County does not have an emergency vet place/plan.

It would seem to me that maybe the vets of the community could work out some type of rotation in order to provide care...

we found only one vet that was on call on non-duty hours and she was entirely overworked trying to take care of her patients and others who called her...

wouldn't it make sense to have one emergency line and then it could be directed to the vet on call????

mAlice

professional daydreamer
FireLadie said:
OK.. so I posted this in the Pets & animals section but thought that maybe I might get more of a response here

Not long on patience today, huh?

FireLadie

pixiegirl said:
Vet services are private industry.

Yes, they may be private industry but as I'm sure many people know that if the citizens of this community work together a change could happen..

I don't know about you all but it's not my practice to just accept things as they are if there is a better way.

nomoney

Did you know they spent lots of money to crash something into a comet or something? We should try to change that.

FireLadie

nomoney said:
Did you know they spent lots of money to crash something into a comet or something? We should try to change that.

If that's what gets you riled up go for it... Personally I'm gonna focus on something a little closer to home before I try to tackle the gov't

and thanks for being SO sympathetic...

:shutup:

nomoney

FireLadie said:
If that's what gets you riled up go for it... Personally I'm gonna focus on something a little closer to home before I try to tackle the gov't

and thanks for being SO sympathetic...

:shutup:

oh, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry your little doggy got a boo boo...:poorbaby: I feel really sympathetic towards you because your dog got hurt. :huggy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
FireLadie said:
Yes, they may be private industry but as I'm sure many people know that if the citizens of this community work together a change could happen..

I don't know about you all but it's not my practice to just accept things as they are if there is a better way.

It has nothing at all to do with the citizens of a community. It has to do with a vet that's willing to open up shop here in St. Mary's. Apparently there are none and I can't imagine that the vets that practice in this county haven't taken into consideration the benefits/pitfalls of having such a service.

nomoney

FireLadie said:
Yeah, well people are stupid too and get injuries doing the same kind of thing, but at least they get quick medical attention.

if any dog ever gets quicker medical attention than a person....I'm moving to alaska and becoming a hermit.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
FireLadie said:
Yeah, well people are stupid too and get injuries doing the same kind of thing, but at least they get quick medical attention.
I wasn't calling the dogs stupid.
It was your stupidity having only one ball for two dogs.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
nomoney said:
if any dog ever gets quicker medical attention than a person....I'm moving to alaska and becoming a hermit.

Remember what happened the last time you made a statement like that. :lol:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
It has nothing at all to do with the citizens of a community. It has to do with a vet that's willing to open up shop here in St. Mary's. Apparently there are none and I can't imagine that the vets that practice in this county haven't taken into consideration the benefits/pitfalls of having such a service.
And she worked for a vet.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
FireLadie said:

You should attend veterinary school so you are able to treat your pets, as well as the rest of the county's 24/7. :yay: