Empire Star Beaten in Homophobic racist MAGA attack

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Seems it was a political decision to drop the charges, not that the charges were defective. And the mail hoax is still open for the Feds.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Seems it was a political decision to drop the charges, not that the charges were defective. And the mail hoax is still open for the Feds.

Must be nice to be a low level entertainer who most of the country had never even heard of, yet have enough pull to be above the law.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Must be nice to be a low level entertainer who most of the country had never even heard of, yet have enough pull to be above the law.
I suspect a straight out bribe, Cook County kept his bail money, voluntarily of course.

TCROW

Yep. The justice system works well for you if you have a bit of money.

Meanwhile, how many are rotting in a steel cage for victimless crimes like weed possession?

This_person

Now, why would it need to be sealed? Where’s the transparency?

Midnightrider

Yep. The justice system works well for you if you have a bit of money.

Meanwhile, how many are rotting in a steel cage for victimless crimes like weed possession?
yep, the american justice system rewards people who can afford decent lawyers. How else would the offer of giving up the bond money in exchange for dropping charges happen?

it reminds me of the 'program' MD used to have where you could make a donation to the good drivers fund to avoid a traffic conviction that may make your insurance go up. If you could afford to make a one time payment to the state they dropped the charge.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Charges dropped?!?!?!

That's some major league white privilege. Affluenza? Did his lawyer channel Johnnie Cochran? What times do the riots begin for this judicial injustice?

glhs837

Power with Control
yep, the american justice system rewards people who can afford decent lawyers. How else would the offer of giving up the bond money in exchange for dropping charges happen?

it reminds me of the 'program' MD used to have where you could make a donation to the good drivers fund to avoid a traffic conviction that may make your insurance go up. If you could afford to make a one time payment to the state they dropped the charge.

You could also do community service in lieu of money , but only twice :) And the money was for Project Graduation.

SamSpade

Surprised that Emanuel is coming out against this as strongly as he is.

Only a little surprised. He may be liberal, but he's also mayor and must support the police.
And the police are livid, because they dumped a lot of man hours chasing this down - they did their job,
and it just got tossed out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ah, Chicago....

The SA should have recused herself; she was clearly compromised. We'll see if the folks remember this come election time.

Chris0nllyn

Now, why would it need to be sealed? Where’s the transparency?

It's Chicago.

After being approached by a politically connected lawyer, State’s Attorney Kimberly Foxx asked Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson to turn over the investigation of Jussie Smollett’s reported attack to the FBI, according to communications provided to the Tribune.
The exchanges began Feb. 1, three days after Smollett claimed....
“Spoke to the Superintendent Johnson,” Foxx emailed Tchen back on Feb. 1. “I convinced him to Reach out to FBI to ask that they take over the investigation.”

The same day, Foxx texted with Smollett’s relative, whose name was blacked out in copies released by her office.

“Spoke to the superintendent earlier, he made the ask,” Foxx wrote. “Trying to figure out logistics. I’ll keep you posted.”

“Omg this would be a huge victory,” the relative replied.

“I make no guarantees, but I’m trying,” Foxx wrote back.
The released texts between Foxx and the relative stop on Feb. 13, the same day a memo was sent out by Foxx’s chief ethics officer, April Perry, informing staff that Foxx “is recused” from the Smollett investigation. It did not say why
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-kim-foxx-records-20190313-story.html

Here's what SA Foxx has to say about transparency:
Transparency is not only our obligation as civil servants, but critical to efficiently and effectively fulfilling our public safety mission: Our work must be grounded in data and evidence, and the public should have access to that information.
https://www.cookcountystatesattorney.org/about/commitment-transparency

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, Chicago....

The SA should have recused herself; she was clearly compromised. We'll see if the folks remember this come election time.

She did recuse herself, IIRC, after it was found out she was shopping the case to the FBI to get it out of the city. And the guy who took it was of course hand-picked by her.