End-of-Life Option Act

Auntie Biache'

I've witnessed many die (as recently as last year) and I've yet to witness someone not being allowed pain meds so I cannot relate to what you are implying. Are you saying you know of someone terminal that was denied pain meds and left to sit/lay suffering until they finally died a horrific death?

I'm saying it's not a stretch to see it go there. I'm seeing people I know who are not terminally ill, but are in so much pain that they'd rather be dead. I'm seeing people having major surgery, and being given nothing but ibuprofen for pain. I'm seeing pain medication slowly, but surely, go away. When a person no longer has quality of life due to pain, and can get no relief, don't you think they will start asking for the same easy out as the terminally ill? You've obviously experienced something that has put you on the defensive, but you're completely missing my point. If you can't see where this is going, along with universal health care (no, it's not here yet, but stand-by), then I'm done.

Auntie Biache'

Everyone is losing their pain meds? Yeah, that's not true in the slightest. Some opiod derivatives are being looked at for tighter controls. But they aren't being eliminated, and more to the point the stronger pain meds (that don't provide as much of a euphoric high) are not affected at all.

Every state is different.

I'm not afraid to die, but I am terrified of having a prolonged death process where I suffer and burden my family.
Yep! I already have a living will that states my wishes and would want it to have the option to die with dignity and peacefully rather than put my family through a long drawn out death watch vigil and their last memories of my be the drawn in face gasping for air and the death rattle being the last sound they remember my making.

I'm saying it's not a stretch to see it go there. I'm seeing people I know who are not terminally ill, but are in so much pain that they'd rather be dead. I'm seeing people having major surgery, and being given nothing but ibuprofen for pain. I'm seeing pain medication slowly, but surely, go away. When a person no longer has quality of life due to pain, and can get no relief, don't you think they will start asking for the same easy out as the terminally ill? You've obviously experienced something that has put you on the defensive, but you're completely missing my point. If you can't see where this is going, along with universal health care (no, it's not here yet, but stand-by), then I'm done.
I got your point and believe I already said it sounded like your concern was more about chronic pain suffers. That doesn't change my perspective/opinion of those terminally ill.

On the subject of life in general, my personal belief is that quality is more precious than quantity. I cannot speak for others and do understand that some embrace quantity over quality.

Bonehead

I hope that when my time comes I will have the strength to take a long one way walk into the woods, not in some hospital or surrounded by family.