Environmental damage seen from shuttle

ylexot

Super Genius
Personally, this sounds :crazy: to me, but here it is...

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Commander Eileen Collins said astronauts on shuttle Discovery had seen widespread environmental destruction on Earth and warned on Thursday that greater care was needed to protect natural resources.
"Sometimes you can see how there is erosion, and you can see how there is deforestation. It's very widespread in some parts of the world," Collins said
I'd love to see what she's talking about. Maybe she could use the million-dollar cameras up there to take some pictures and show us.

BuddyLee

Football addict

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
"Sometimes you can see how there is erosion, and you can see how there is deforestation. It's very widespread in some parts of the world," Collins said in a conversation from space.

:shrug: I would imagine tha erosion in the south western US is visable from space, especially the area around the Grand Canyon. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
aps45819 said:
I would imagine tha erosion in the south western US is visable from space, especially the area around the Grand Canyon.
That was too easy :lol:

Why do people say "erosion" when what they really mean is "evolution"? The earth evolves to accommodate other life - what's the big deal? The only way humans can "protect" the environment is to kill ourselves off and take the other animals with us.

So far nobody seems real keen on that idea.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
That was too easy :lol:

Why do people say "erosion" when what they really mean is "evolution"? The earth evolves to accommodate other life - what's the big deal? The only way humans can "protect" the environment is to kill ourselves off and take the other animals with us.

So far nobody seems real keen on that idea.
Some of the erosion is from 'evolution' of the Earth but more of it IMO is from humans. What happens when you take out all the trees in a forrest? See you later good soil or farmers will farm the land for a few years until the soil is utterly useless.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
Some of the erosion is from 'evolution' of the Earth but more of it IMO is from humans. What happens when you take out all the trees in a forrest? See you later good soil or farmers will farm the land for a few years until the soil is utterly useless.
Well, any serious farmer knows how to keep his soil in good condition with rotating crops or whatever it is they do. And what use is soil to us other than to grow food?

Honestly, these environmentalists sit and cry huge tears over this stuff and it's like, then kill yourself and your tree-hugging brethren so there will be less humans to contribute to environmental damage.

:shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
Well, any serious farmer knows how to keep his soil in good condition with rotating crops or whatever it is they do. And what use is soil to us other than to grow food?
Those in the rain forrests seem to ignorant to know this.

vraiblonde said:
Honestly, these environmentalists sit and cry huge tears over this stuff and it's like, then kill yourself and your tree-hugging brethren so there will be less humans to contribute to environmental damage.

:shrug:
I don't expect anyone to take responsibility in what we do not do to preserve the planet now. We are a here and now people, who cares about the future as long as we're not in it to accept the consequences.

Mikeinsmd

BuddyLee said:
See you later good soil or farmers will farm the land for a few years until the soil is utterly useless.
Land doesn't become useless from farming. Vrai is correct in that rotating crops adds nutrients back into the soil. The same land can be farmed for 100's of years.

If only my tree people knew this, they wouldn't be eating bugs & living in trees. :sad:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BuddyLee said:
Those in the rain forrests seem to ignorant to know this.
Then let's go shoot them all so they'll quit raping the land. Let's tell them that they can't grow crops or chop down trees to build shelter because it's goofing up the environment.

:rolleyes:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Mikeinsmd said:
Land doesn't become useless from farming. Vrai is correct in that rotating crops adds nutrients back into the soil. The same land can be farmed for 100's of years.

If only my tree people knew this, they wouldn't be eating bugs & living in trees. :sad:
Yessum, I know all about crop rotation. It's too bad some don't implement this! They'd rather move onto the next available piece to screw that up all the while leaving the discarded land.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
Then let's go shoot them all so they'll quit raping the land. Let's tell them that they can't grow crops or chop down trees to build shelter because it's goofing up the environment.

:rolleyes:
Will you light the first torch?

Mikeinsmd

BuddyLee said:
Yessum, I know all about crop rotation. It's too bad some don't implement this! They'd rather move onto the next available piece to screw that up all the while leaving the discarded land.
How you know bout crop rotation?? You're sposed to be studying to become a lawyer.

Hey after you pass the bar, will you defend the tree people pro bono if they need ya??

BuddyLee

Football addict
Mikeinsmd said:
How you know bout crop rotation?? You're sposed to be studying to become a lawyer.

Hey after you pass the bar, will you defend the tree people pro bono if they need ya??
They make you take some science in high school and college.

I might defend the tree people if you join em'.:razz: